Good English-speaking hairdresser or barber in Taipei?

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: and i thought i was getting ripped offā€¦ :noway: :noway:

[quote=ā€œderek1978ā€]Yes, I got my shoes and for a good price too. 2000 NT (on sale from 3000 NT) at one of the large department stores accross from Warner Village near 101. They are not the fanciest shoes in the world, but they are comfortable and look good. Should last a while.

I went to M&Mā€™s and saw Eddie for a haircut. He did a great job on my hair. Quite possible the best haircut I ever had. I even got a massage from one of his female assistants while they washed my hair. BTW: While you are getting your washed you get to sit in a massage chair too. Very relaxing. It was worth the 700 NT. Eddie speaks perfect English and many of his associates do too. I will be definately returning for future hair cuts.[/quote]

got a phone number?

0932-322-843
10:00am to 7:00pm
Monday Through Saturday

Try Diane, she has many satisifed customers, both Taiwanese and westerners. We lived in the US for a while so she speaks good English, and she also worked as hair dresser full time for over 4 years in Sweden (speaks good Swedish, too), so she knows western hair and hair styles. She also worked in Hong Kong for a short time.

Sheā€™s conveniently located in the middle of Taipei, just 3 minutes walk behind SOGO towards Civic Blvd. By MRT, get off at the Zhongxiao / Fuxing station on the blue line. Taking the SOGO exit (4), walk in the direction of Dunhua for about a hundred meters until you hit Daā€™an Rd. Turn left on Daā€™an towards Civic Blvd. Pass a 7-11 on your right hand side. The last lane on the same side as the 7-11 before you get to the Family Mart convenience store (which is on the opposite side of Daā€™an) is lane 31. Turn right into that lane and youā€™ll find Diane about 150meters down, on your left hand side just after the intersection.

Phone: 2778 4733
Address: Daā€™an Rd., Sec. 1, Ln. 31, No. 31, 2Fl.

She prefers time appointments to just dropping by, so give her a call. Sheā€™s open till 8 pm Wednesday through Sunday (Mondays and Tuesdays off).

Yes, Dianne is great. Also, her studio is in her apartment so you donā€™t have a dozen other people around. Very cozy and comfortable.

For a great haircut by a Malaysian guy that cuts models, and speaks excellent English with years of experience working in Londonā€™s top end, then go to Mix and Match Hair Salon. Ask for Eddie and tell him Jamie sent you.
His number is 0932-322-843
Working hours 10:00-19:00

He is off on Sundays

E-mail: eddiekwt_tham@hotmail.com

Mix and Match: Chung-Hsiao East road, section 3 No285, 3rd floor (opposite the presently constructing SOGO)
MRT station: Chung-Hsiao/Fushing

I can recommend this guy as he did such a good job for me to get a great modeling job for Asus. I was really amazed as he rescued me from the worst haircut in my life two days earlier that I had paid 500 for and took all of 5 minutes. Guys donā€™t cry over a haircut, but I swear I nearly did a it was for a big casting. Thank you again Eddie!

(Please do remind him not to thin your hair, if you are like me with a receding hairline and thin hair, then youā€™ll only look balder.)

I went to Eddie at M&M for a hair cut, and was not very satisfied. My impression was that he docked me out with the latest trendy haircut that he was interested in, with little regard for what I wanted. I asked him for a funky cut with as much length as possible, and specifically requested that he not give me a mullet. I walked out with a mullet at the back and a weird pyramid of hair at the front. The rest of my hair was very short. It was totally unsuited to my (fuzzy) hair. Iā€™m glad that I study, because if I had to turn up at a workplace with that haircut I would have been really embarrassed.

The best cut Iā€™ve had in Taiwan was from a hairdresser called Ginny. Until a few weeks ago she was at Aveda 3rd Place near City Hall, but has just moved to another salon (Iā€™m not sure what the new salon is called). She sits you down with a heap of magazines and works out with you what cut would be best. I know three or four people who have been to her, and theyā€™ve all been happy with their (very different) cuts. Her mobile number is 0928141630. She speaks some English, but apparently her English isnā€™t brilliant.

Just got back from getting my hair cut at M & Mā€¦Eddie is the man!

I gotta say that was probably the most enjoyable experience iā€™ve ever had at a hair salon.

First, they wash your hair while you sit on a wonderfully comfortable chair. The wash is more like a head massage, the young woman spent about 10 minutes massaging everything from my temples to the back of my neck, it was incredible!

Then Eddie took over and did an very professional job. He is a cool guy. We talked about a lot of stuff, made the experience all the more enjoyable.

If youā€™re tired of having the ā€œTaiwanese Buzz Cutā€ guys, check out Eddie at M & M. I was so relieved to see he didnā€™t have a razor anywhere near the chairā€¦lol.

My hair looks as good as it ever has!

Take the MRT to Fuxing, exit 2, go left and look across the street. Itā€™s just to the left of the ā€œHi-Lifeā€ store.

Eddie is busy, so call and make an appointment:
0932-322-843
10am-7pm monday-saturday

[quote=ā€œgcatā€]I went to Eddie at M&M for a hair cut, and was not very satisfied. My impression was that he docked me out with the latest trendy haircut that he was interested in, with little regard for what I wanted. I asked him for a funky cut with as much length as possible, and specifically requested that he not give me a mullet. I walked out with a mullet at the back and a weird pyramid of hair at the front. The rest of my hair was very short. It was totally unsuited to my (fuzzy) hair. Iā€™m glad that I study, because if I had to turn up at a workplace with that haircut I would have been really embarrassed.

The best cut Iā€™ve had in Taiwan was from a hairdresser called Ginny. Until a few weeks ago she was at Aveda 3rd Place near City Hall, but has just moved to another salon (Iā€™m not sure what the new salon is called). She sits you down with a heap of magazines and works out with you what cut would be best. I know three or four people who have been to her, and theyā€™ve all been happy with their (very different) cuts. Her mobile number is 0928141630. She speaks some English, but apparently her English isnā€™t brilliant.[/quote]

Hi, gcat.

Iā€™m reluctant to call BS here, but I find it extremely hard to believe that somebody with Eddieā€™s experience and high level of service gave you a mullet, unless that was what you specifically asked for. Eddie has consistently given me the best haircut Iā€™ve ever had.

Perhaps you should give him another chance and point out what you didnā€™t like about the last one; I know Eddie is more than happy to rectify anything youā€™re not happy with.

Ginny sounds good though, but I prefer my haircutter to speak fluent English. :wink:

yes, i agree.

Eddie is very professional. I find it hard to believe he would do anything other than what you asked forā€¦

I just had my hair cut by him yesterday and I am EXTREMELY happy. M & M is a great place and Eddie is a good guy.

Perhaps you could go back and tell him youā€™re not happy? I am sure he would remedy the situation.

Just got back from Eddieā€™sā€¦ fantastic hairdresser. Would recommend him in a heart beat.

Iā€™m sure Eddieā€™s a great guy and all, butā€¦ man, Iā€™ve seen Stray Dogā€™s noggin and I have to say, most of his mutts look better-groomed than he does.
Of course, maybe Eddie really is that good and Stray Dog simply looks even worse with a regular haircut. :wink:

I donā€™t really see why I would BS everyone. Iā€™m sure that Eddie is experienced, but I have had one really bad (mullet) haircut from him. I had another one also that did not suit me. Thatā€™s why I moved to another hairdresser. Two bad haircuts in a row is not ok. When I say bad, I donā€™t mean technically bad, but just really unsuited to my hair. Some people like mullets, I donā€™t.

You poor man. You poor, poor man. I bet you donā€™t like monster trucks, either, or Pabst Blue Ribbon. Thereā€™s a name for people like you and it 'aint purty.

I understand - I didnā€™t mean to be rude.

Sandman, come to the quiz on Sunday and then youā€™ll see what wonders Eddie can do with my head fur. And youā€™re just jealous anyway. :raspberry:

[quote=ā€œHer Husbandā€]Try Diane, she has many satisifed customers, both Taiwanese and westerners. We lived in the US for a while so she speaks good English, and she also worked as hair dresser full time for over 4 years in Sweden (speaks good Swedish, too), so she knows western hair and hair styles. She also worked in Hong Kong for a short time.

Sheā€™s conveniently located in the middle of Taipei, just 3 minutes walk behind SOGO towards Civic Blvd. By MRT, get off at the Zhongxiao / Fuxing station on the blue line. Taking the SOGO exit (4), walk in the direction of Dunhua for about a hundred meters until you hit Daā€™an Rd. Turn left on Daā€™an towards Civic Blvd. Pass a 7-11 on your right hand side. The last lane on the same side as the 7-11 before you get to the Family Mart convenience store (which is on the opposite side of Daā€™an) is lane 31. Turn right into that lane and youā€™ll find Diane about 150meters down, on your left hand side just after the intersection.

She prefers time appointments to just dropping by, so give her a call. Sheā€™s open till 8 pm Wednesday through Sunday (Mondays and Tuesdays off).[/quote]

Iā€™ve been going to Diane for the past year and I think sheā€™s great! She just moved, but I think the address above is her new place. Her last salon was really comfortable and cozy and quiet with some relaxing jazz playing in the background. She is fluently bilingual so thereā€™s no risk of miscommunicating your wants for hair styles. I really recommend her!

I am super picky and I tried all of the high dollar salons around Taipei, Danielle, Yellow Ted, one on Nanjing, the American club and so on. They might do ok the first time, the second time they sucked. Diane consistently cuts my hair perfectly each time. Never been disappointed after 5 years of going there. Her English is perfect and she has both cut hair around the world, including the USA and Sweden among other places as well as gaining skills training and certification from abroad as well. Remember in Taiwan, no need for certification to cut hair! She also use to cut hair at the American Club and her experience is measured in decades not years, she has been cutting hair a long time.

[quote=ā€œcanaussiā€]

Iā€™ve been going to Diane for the past year and I think sheā€™s great! She just moved, but I think the address above is her new place. Her last salon was really comfortable and cozy and quiet with some relaxing jazz playing in the background. She is fluently bilingual so thereā€™s no risk of miscommunicating your wants for hair styles. I really recommend her![/quote]

Yes, that is the new address. For those who have only been to the old place, the new place is located less than 100 meters further down the same lane, on the opposite side. Itā€™s equally relaxed, and the music hasnā€™t changed either. Thanks for the recommendation!

Okay, first of all, I doā€™t need the quick shave or buzz. I have longer hair, more shaggy/grunge style but I need to get it trimmed, but every time I look around at the hairstyles around me, it frightens me I am going to end up with one of those ā€˜what the hell is thatā€™ styles I see on MTV and the streets of Taipei every day.

Is there anywhere here in Taipei that you know of where I can get my hair done by someone who understnads English and western hairstyles. I have some pictures of the way I want my hair, which I always do just in case, but if I canā€™t talk to the person and try to explain it, I am afraid of what will happen.

Yes, Iā€™m a guy, but I have never just gone to anyone to cut my hair. In the last ten years I have only ever had three people cut my hair, so to find someone new is hard, and even harder over here. If anyone can tell me of someone or some place to go, even recommend a specific person, it would be greatly appreciated.

My school told me the other day I donā€™t have the appearance of a person who likes children. I know they were referring to the longer hair, which I will shorten a bit, but not drastically. Youā€™d figure they would be more worried about my holding a chair over my kids heads telling them that Iā€™ll swing it if they get the wrong answer again. But heyā€¦ itā€™s all about appearance, not collateral damage.

Try Eddie and Mix and Match. Itā€™s near the corner of Zhongxiao and Fuxing. He speaks fluent English and worked in London for years. His number is : 09-32322843