Good English-speaking hairdresser or barber in Taipei?

A lot of the mom and pop dives charge around NT$300 for a guy’s cut, or 350 with a wash.

What about Dianne and Eddie? Are they reasonable for men’s cuts? I don’t trust the little barber shops with my hair and since my Chinese is limited to numbers and foods from Chinese Breatfast restaurants, I don’t think I’ll get a good cut walking in and asking for Leo Mee Djung…

:wink:

readyeddiego.com/price_list.htm

That is the price list link for Eddie’s site and you can see there that a haircut is charged at 700nt, not including the shampoo. I know some will pay less for a haircut, but it depends what level of cut you are expecting. I can compare Eddie’s with the best in Taipei and he is only a fraction of the price. I used to pay 1,200nt for a simple cut before finding Eddie, but Eddie is much better than my last snipper.

Diane charges NT$700 for a haircut without a shampoo. She has magazines here, both hair magazines and fashion magazines to look through for reference, but if you have a specific cut in mind, you can of course bring a picture yourself as well.

Give her a call at 2778 4733 if you have any specific questions. She speaks good English.

Just to let the people on this forum that rely on Diane’s services that we will be going back to Sweden for two weeks beginning July 9. Diane will be back in business again on July 25.

Just for anyone wondering about Diane’s work (especially guys)… I went to her today and got my first haircut here in Taiwan, after letting my hair grow for over nine months, and she did a great job. Unlike a lot of hairdressers I have been to in the past, she actually listens to you and does what you want and not just what the current style is.

She got it perfect, and even doesn’t take offense when you ask her to take a little more off, or change something a little. So guys, if you are scared of ending up with one of those wonderful haircuts you see on the MRT every day, there is actually somewhere to go and you won’t end up looking like you belong on V Channel.

Hey, anyone know a good hairstylist in Taipei City? preferably can speak English?

A decent hairdresser / hair salon / barber

Look two posts above yours, and you’ll find one, with links to a couple of references on this forum.

But anyway, here goes:

Try Diane, she has many satisifed customers, both Taiwanese and westerners. We lived in the US for a while so she speaks good English, and she also worked as hair dresser full time for over 4 years in Sweden (speaks good Swedish, too), so she knows western hair and hair styles. She also worked in Hong Kong for a short time.

She’s conveniently located in the middle of Taipei, just 3 minutes walk behind SOGO towards Civic Blvd. By MRT, get off at the Zhongxiao / Fuxing station on the blue line, taking the SOGO exit (4). There’s a (bad, I drew it) map on her web-site (see below), but basically you walk in the direction of Dunhua for about a hundred meters until you hit Da’an Rd. Turn left on Da’an towards Civic Blvd. Pass a 7-11 on your right hand side. The last lane on the same side as the 7-11 before you get to the Family Mart convenience store (which is on the opposite side of Da’an) is lane 31. Turn right into that lane and you’ll find Diane about a hundred meters down, on your left hand side just after the intersection.

Phone: 2778 4733
Address: Da’an Rd., Sec. 1, Ln. 31, No. 31, 2Fl.

She prefers time appointments to just dropping by, so give her a call. She’s open till 9 pm Wednesday through Sunday (Mondays and Tuesdays off).

I just tried Diane and she was awesome. I am more than satisfied with her work. I’ve had several bad Pat-Benatar hair cuts since I’ve been here. Diane is the best. She listens, gives suggestions if you want, and is very experienced. No more of the unhealthy, punk rock haircuts for me (thank god). Her English is great, she’s a pro. Expect to pay around a grand for a haircut boys. But, if you like the 80’s hair thing, by all means…do the cheap thing. Hint: Ask her what she thinks and she’ll design something that fits your face and makes you look better. :notworthy:

Please remember that Chinese New Year is rapidly approaching. In local culture it is bad luck to get a haircut early in the year because it will cut off your bad luck. In addition, many people want to get all done up for the year end banquets. All this adds up to hairdressers being busy busy busy in the weeks before CNY.

I’ve had several bad hair cuts here in Taipei. It wasn’t just a language barrier. The Taiwan hair stylists seem to be cookie cutters. If you want a decent hair cut try Diane with Fine Hair Salon. She has her own business by appointment only.

tel (02) 2778 4733 :: e-mail diane@fine-salon.com :: address 2/f., no. 31, lane 31, sec. 1, ta-an rd., taipei :: hours wed - sun, 10am - 8pm :: parking under civil blvd., 30 nt$ / 30 min. :: seats 2, air conditioned, cutting, coloring, perms …Major cross street is Lane 68 off of Civic Blvd. One block past Daan.

She is a real pro that can customize a style for you (Which is what I recommend). However, she is great about listening to what you want and giving you just that.

She spent time in Europe and Texas. She’s a great lady and a pleasure to know. Expect to pay around a grand for a cut…but after the way other stylists butcher your hair, a grand is worth it. :notworthy:

I’m looking for a good barber shop but I don’t want a hair cut. And I don’t care if they spent time in Texas or Europe but I’d like it if they did time in Texas or Europe. English is not important but French is.

Are there any ex American foreign legion hairdressers out there for Doc? If so just drop him a line. Can one practice hairdressing in the foreign legion I wonder and if so is it a tough life? Perhaps someone could write a book on it, I’d buy it!

Ya know, this thread used to be entitled “A decent hairdresser?!?!” I had to change it just for the Doc.

She is most definitely worth it, but her cuts are only NT700, if you opt not to get your hair washed. :slight_smile: Being the poor, unemployed student that I am, I always go in with clean hair and save NT300, which I then save up for my highlighting sessions, another thing she’s extremely great at.

A lot of the mom and pop dives charge around NT$300 for a guy’s cut, or 350 with a wash.[/quote]

I spend NT$200 for my haircut in Taipei

good haircuts, fast and cheap! :slight_smile:

That’s good help for me finally i can find someone who have experience to help me get hair cut .

There is Paul in Tien Mu- at Q-Britannia, (28751035) an English guy who’s been here 20 yrs, he was a Hair school principal in Hong Kong, he is the ONLY guy who knows Blonde & colouring, superb haircutter - not too pricey though like some of the city stylists. I thinks he’s closed Sun & Mon. I’ve always had great work from him.

Paul is the guy, in Tienmu 28751035, the only guy who can do blonde!