Good jazz and good food .. any recommendations

food is important factor, good Jazz will make it great. :laughing: :laughing:

The one I can think of now is Brown Sugar. Hope it helpsā€¦

I second ā€˜Brown Sugarā€™. Perhaps ā€˜China Paā€™ on AnHe Road might fit the requirement, too, but I havenā€™t been there myself.

Brown Sugar is nice, but it is pretty small, so it is hard to get into on popular nights, and crowded.

Is Wonder Bar still around? That one is pretty spacious and often has Jazz. (southeast corner of Zhongxiao/Jianguo, second floor)

Josephine Bakerā€™s box - seventy years ago :laughing:

For something more intimate, bohemian twist try A-liang & Friends. It is tucked away near YanJi near RenAi. Walk toward ZhongXiao from RenAi on YanJi and take a left at the Nico mart (2 alleys in). Call first to see if there is jazz. Usually Friday and Saturday. 2775-2505 No food served, but there are many nice restaurants in the area.

[color=darkred]Whereā€™s Brown Sugar[/color] :?:

Xinyi district, in an office building near Warner village. Follow the road between Warner and Mitsukoshi to the east until you hit the T-junction, the entrance is at the back of the building you are then facing (has some name of an insurance on it I think).

Or just check here: brownsugar.com.tw/ (Click on ā€œVenueā€ for address and phone no.)

It feels like a real living room, with books on the shelves and everything. Food is amazing and there are various live events going on there during the week.
The owner, Corbett, is an excellent jazz musician. Check out his band sometimes (you can see their schedule on the website www.livingroomtaipei.com)

All other info on the website too. Check it out!

SL

Brown sugar is greatā€¦ i have various friends that perform there on regular basisā€¦ last weekend actuallyā€¦ as a young foreignerā€¦ i kinda reacted at the crowd that goes there. Felt like it was me and a bunch of mid-aged 50 yr old white guys with 30 yr old good looking asian womenā€¦ i didnt quite fit in. Again this is a one night experience (no offense to the older generation of white guys on the forumā€¦he he) ā€“ but yeh its an awsome place with great jazz! Worth a nights visitā€¦ but be aware theres a minimum fee and you can only get a table if you order it - else you be standing and drinkin or sitting around the bar. [yes may be crowded at timesā€¦ like last weekendā€¦ so be there early if you want to get in without waiting]

The Shannon Irish pub has Jazz on Sundays and has a great menu!
Its at #6 Tun Hua Nth Rd, near the cnr of Nan Jing East Rd.

[quote=ā€œcamelboyā€]The Shannon Irish pub has Jazz on Sundays and has a great menu!
Its at #6 Dunhua Nth Rd, near the cnr of Nanjing East Rd.[/quote]

Is this still the case? What time do they play?

Any other updates on good jazz in Taipei? This thread is kinda oldish nowā€¦

For good jazz, Riverside and Blue Note are nice. Donā€™t know about the food at either though - havenā€™t eaten anything more than bar snacks at those two.

[quote=ā€œRascalā€]the entrance is at the back of the building you are then facing (has some name of an insurance on it I think).
[/quote]

Capital Securities.

Coming from Warnerā€™s, keep on the right-hand side of the building.

As far as food goes, we certainly have made a big progress at Caponeā€™s, still pulling my hair with some of the waiters sometimes but we are on the right track there for sure. Our house band does play Jazz and broadway from Tuesday to Sunday and in the meantime my plee to the drummer to use mostly brushes or sticks with the soft tops are not ignored anymore and I have successfully restrained myself from singing in underpants hence think I could say that there is good food and good jazz at capones.

I can only say that the one and only experience I had in Brown Sugar sucked big time. We had to wait outside (well, in the kind of greenhouse area) for about 30 minutes (there was no-one in front of us, BTW) while we were made to feel like ā€œIf youā€™re lucky, we might let you inā€¦ eventuallyā€. I only hung around because it was a friend of oursā€™ idea to go and we didnā€™t want to insult him by leaving.

We finally got in. Drinks prices were unbelieveably steep. I bought 2 drinks at one stage and got charged an arm and a leg. Canā€™t remember exactly, but it was in the high hundreds. Note that these were not our first drinks of the night, so Iā€™m sure the minimum charge thing no longer stood.

Pretentious shite. (Just my experienece).

Dunno how often the Living Room plays jazz, but I have to say the place is fantastic, Corbett, the boss/owner is dead on (thatā€™s good, BTW) and itā€™s very relaxed.

I will NEVER go back to Brown Sugar, but I plan to visit the Living Room many times in the future (Iā€™ve already been back on numerous occasions).

Was that the new Brown Sugar or the old one in the Shida area?

Strange though, Iā€™ve been to the new one a couple of times and it was always perfectly fine.

[quote=ā€œBalazsā€]Was that the new Brown Sugar or the old one in the Shi-Da area?

Strange though, Iā€™ve been to the new one a couple of times and it was always perfectly fine.[/quote]

It was around the corner from Warner Village and it was just under 2 years ago. Dunno which one that is.

Thatā€™s the new one. I work in the same building.

Thatā€™s the new one. I work in the same building.[/quote]

Donā€™t get me wrong. Maybe the place is great. My first and only experience was enough to make me never want to go back again though. First impressions count for a lot.