Good Kitchen Gadgets

Been looking for a decent food processor - good size and high quality. Found plenty of Japanese ones but they seem a little flimsy and lack an English user’s guide. Found Philips too but anything made by them usually falls to pieces in my experience.

Anyone know where I can find a good quality one, say Braun?

Also, do salad spinners exist in this fair country?

Ta

Sods,
Try Costco, if that fails, try B&Q, if that fails, try Mami (Shida area). The department stores also carry them. Btw, if you buy an international brand which doesn’t come with instructions in English, you can always check their home pages online. I did that with my cell phone since the manual was all in chinese.

Sage and catnip!

Thanks Alien

Tried those places already. In fact I think I’ve been everywhere! I’m really looking for one of those heavy duty industrial types so I think I’ll have to import it. :frowning:

I don’t know what this is, but it sounds like something expensive that does exactly what you can do by hand with a fork and a bowl. …?

You put your washed vegetables in it (salad leaves especially) and turn the handle on the top - all the water is spun out.

It does sound lazy I suppose but it takes out all of the water in seconds. No more watery salad dressings!

Sling 'em in the washing machine on the spin cycle.

Maybe you could get a friend to bring one back for you from the west. I have never ever seen one here, but they’re great! I buy the Costco bags of imported ready-to-serve mixed lettuces and often don’t even bother to wash them. I trust items coming from the US much more since there are certain health regulations to uphold which are categorically ignored here.

Well, a salad spinner sounds like a perfectly irrelevant piece of equipment.
Speaking of veggies, how in the world can anyone make any money by importing lettace and celery from the US? Surely Taiwan can grow these things. NT$39 for a bunch of celery? Who is making a profit here?

I think Alien’s talking about romaine or fancy lettuces such as radichio which is definitely not locally available and is certainly worth the inflated price if that’s your thing. Iceberg is locally available, but they’re as different as chalk and cheese.

A salad spinner is one of those gadgets you never thought you needed, but once you’ve owned one you can’t manage without.

I guess it depends on your frequency of use. As a diabetic, I’m a big salad muncher so it’s certainly not irrelevant. Wolf Reinhold’s snide comments are however.

[quote=“Soddom”]
I think Alien’s talking about romaine or fancy lettuces such as radichio which is definitely not locally available and is certainly worth the inflated price if that’s your thing. [/quote]

Yep. That’s the stuff. It comes in a huge bag at Costco for around $200, making it about US $6, no more expensive than it would be in the US. I buy more everytime I run out. HELLUVA lot better than iceberg!!!

According to the label, it’s called Continental Salad Blend and consists of:
[color=green]radicchio, escarole, tat sol, mache, frisee, lollo rosso, baby spinach, endive, chervil, mizuna, argula.[/color]
It also says it’s, “Hand selected, triple washed and table ready.” So, Sod, if you’re eating this, like I said, no need to wash it again, and spin it.

[quote=“Soddom”]
As a diabetic, I’m a big salad muncher so it’s certainly not irrelevant. Wolf Reinhold’s snide comments are however. [/quote]
Imagine Wolf downing a Taiwan beer, with a plate full of iceberg lettuce topped with sweet corn and thousand island dressing! :wink:

without going to costco, in fact right here in downtown taipei, i found a salad spinner. it was at working house in asiaworld (dunhua and nanjing). it was found, with two friends, in the back secton on a shelf at eye level. cost=nt$150. :slight_smile:
spun salad=priceless

salad spinners can be useful. salad shooters, on the other hand, are rather iffy. :slight_smile:

Soddom,
I keep trying to put quotes in your “[insert quote to make you look smarter here]” to make me look smarter, but it doesn’t work. What’s the trick? Do I need a kitchen gadget for this? Ronco Popeil Pocket Inserter?

that’s a good question, wolf. do you think it only makes you look smarter HERE, at segue? or do you think if you manage to insert a quote there, you look smarter everywhere?
damn, that’s a real good question! maybe the moderators can make you look smarter.

All I know is that I am smarter than the average bear…:slight_smile:

I take that back about not washing the lettuce.:blush:
I found a rather long piece of twine in my salad today… :frowning: