Good mustard

As the BBQ season is starting up (did it ever end?) I am looking for some good plain mustard. In particular I would love to get my hands on a glass of good old “Loewensenf Extra Scharf :fume:” the Bavarian stuff. Has anybody seen such product, or similar here in Taiwan. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

I seem to recall that the Tesco’s near you in Taoyuan has a reasonable selection of Mustard on the shelf. We’ve got a couple different sorts from there at home in the fridge.
The ‘deli’ section over by the veges has quite a bit of gourmet stuff, but it’s pricey.

if they don’t have what you like, carrefour is another option … between the two, they have a decent selection of course and mild stuff. Grey poupon rears it’s head at costco from time to time.

you might wanna check out far eastern dept store, mitsukoshi, and other such dept store supermarkets to see what all is available.

hope it helps.

Thanks for you suggestsion, I already checked most of the places I have been (Wellcome, Tesco, RT Mart, Carrefour) but they all have this rather mild stuff. I already tried a couple of them without much success. I just don’t want to buy all sorts of flavours and not really liking them, that’s why I was looking for a specific brand. I might have to check the deli section, though.

I know there is a lot of variety out there, but mostly mild with a lot of ingredients and flavors. The stuff I am talking about consists plain ground mustard seeds with some water added. When you first try it, it crawls up you nose and the water comes out of your eyes.

Oh, you might like the (Australian?) Masterfoods brand English Mustard. I used to love it, then ate Colman’s for three years in Hong Kong, came back to Australia and couldn’t handle it any more. Very harsh (take one taste and run around in circles waiting for the burning to stop), and no complexity of flavours, but it sounds like it might be exactly what you want. Might be available at Jason’s. I’ll check next time I go.

[quote=“ratlung”]Thanks for you suggestsion, I already checked most of the places I have been (Wellcome, Tesco, RT Mart, Carrefour) but they all have this rather mild stuff. I already tried a couple of them without much success. I just don’t want to buy all sorts of flavours and not really liking them, that’s why I was looking for a specific brand. I might have to check the deli section, though.

I know there is a lot of variety out there, but mostly mild with a lot of ingredients and flavors. The stuff I am talking about consists plain ground mustard seeds with some water added. When you first try it, it crawls up you nose and the water comes out of your eyes.[/quote]

I wonder how hard it would be to find some seeds in Taiwan and make a ‘Ratlung Special’

Sounds like the sort of stuff I am looking for :sunglasses:. I will have to check it out. Jason’s you say, where is that store. I will also look at the usual suspects for this brand.

Vulcanic mustard seed, great idea!! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

There is a Jason’s in the Taipei 101 mall and another, I think, in Tienmu in that big department store (taka…, not the new shin kong one).

But in Taoyuan you could try the supermarket in the FE21 department store. I’m pretty sure it was that one that I saw a lot of imported stuff, if not try the other department stores’ supermarkets.

Actually, I’m also on the hunt for some Pesto. I don’t care if it’s good or not, anything will do. Really missing hot bread with sweet chilli & Pesto drizzled on it…

I bought something which looked like pesto and the deli girl told me it was pesto, but one whiff of it and I was just about gagging. Cost damn near $100NT for the tiny Jar too :s

I’d make some if I could find fresh basil…I guess Jason’s for that too?

Yeah, Jasons will have pesto I would think.

I’m sure I have seen somewhere in Taoyuan that has a good selection of herbs and spices, probably one of the department stores.

The shin kong department store also has that green V energy drink from NZ. I could do with that on a drip at the minute.

mmmm…V, vodka, HH…mmmmm

Tetsuo? You in?

I guess I will have to explore Taoyuan a little more, since it is so close to here. It the department store located close to the main station in Taoyuan, then I could just take the bus to there.

I’d recommend your attention to Far Eastern Hotel (just north of Heping E. Rd. between Anhe Rd. & Dunhua S. Rd.) or Breeze Center (just north of Civic Blvd. on Fuxing N. Rd.) The supermarkets they have in their basements rock! Far Eastern Hotel is a bit better since their stuff is labelled better in english. Good luck!

7-11 doesn’t supply mustard for their hotdogs anymore. What’s the use of even selling hotdogs? Family mart has mustard packets (sometimes) but it’s real hot and I don’t like it. I like the regular Frenches yellow mustard. You can get it at Costco, but you have to buy it by the metric ton. I think Welcome has it.

Jason’s have pesto - it might not be that easy to find. It’s tucked up in that section kind of between the frozen food and the ‘health’ section. I believe if you find packet dip it’s the right area. I have a jar of it (from Italy, no less) sitting in my pantry right now, but I haven’t opened it so I don’t know if it tastes any good yet. Oh, and while I can’t remember how much it was now, I remember ‘hideously expensive’ being a fairly good description.

The FE21 department store (not sure what it is called but FE21 is in big letters on the side) is just on the right as you exit the train station in Taoyuan. There are a couple more department stores if you walk straight from the station and look out on the right.

that’d be the far eastern.

Ah, makes sense, the receipt I got from the Starbucks there on sunday has that as a header…duh.

I did an experiment in pesto-making using ingredients found in Taoyuan just last week. The results were moderately satisfying. I found sweet basil at Tesco where they have the prepackaged bags of leafy green veggies. I found pine nuts at a nut shop on Jhongjieng near Jungshan. Some olive oil and parm from Tesco/Carrefour. I don’t have a blender or food processor though so I chopped like a champ.

Would anyone know where to get some cream (10% or higher fat) in Taoyuan? Possibly even fresh, not the shelf-life kind. There’s a baking shop on Yongan that sells that kind. This would go well in the fry pan with my pesto.

[quote=“Paddy Joe”]I did an experiment in pesto-making using ingredients found in Taoyuan just last week. The results were moderately satisfying. I found sweet basil at Tesco where they have the prepackaged bags of leafy green veggies. I found pine nuts at a nut shop on Jhongjieng near Zhongshan. Some olive oil and parm from Tesco/Carrefour. I don’t have a blender or food processor though so I chopped like a champ.

Would anyone know where to get some cream (10% or higher fat) in Taoyuan? Possibly even fresh, not the shelf-life kind. There’s a baking shop on Yongan that sells that kind. This would go well in the fry pan with my pesto.[/quote]
At this rate I can feel “The Taoyuan Gourmet Cooking Club” building some momentum…