Good news for animal lovers, vegetarians

Hahaha. Me? GOD NO!! Those guys are freaks!! I do not, by any stretch, think that an animal should have more rights than a human. I don’t think eating them is particularly barbaric. I just know that it is very taxing on the environment to produce large amounts of overly domesticated animals for consumption by our oversized world population.
PETA people are nut jobs.

On a different note, these stem cell grown animals would be EXTREMELY non-kosher. So there would still be animals raised for kosher needs at least.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]Hahaha. Me? GOD NO!! Those guys are freaks!! I do not, by any stretch, think that an animal should have more rights than a human. I don’t think eating them is particularly barbaric. I just know that it is very taxing on the environment to produce large amounts of overly domesticated animals for consumption by our oversized world population.
PETA people are nut jobs.

On a different note, these stem cell grown animals would be EXTREMELY non-kosher. So there would still be animals raised for kosher needs at least.[/quote]

oh ok sorry lol

One of their beliefs is in having no domestic animals especially pure bred dogs.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]

On a different note, these stem cell grown animals would be EXTREMELY non-kosher. So there would still be animals raised for kosher needs at least.[/quote]

They don’t grow animals, they grow meat just as they grow yeasts or quorn

And it is kosher as it doesn’t contain any blood, so the meat is not red but brownish/gray … it tasts as meat tho …

[quote]“In the Torah, there’s the idea of the sanctity of boundaries between species,” Rubin says, referring to the passage in Leviticus 19:19 that states, “You shall not let your cattle mate with a different kind; you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seed.” Rubin explains that the difference between breeding–a natural selection process between like species–and genetic engineering–the deliberate insertion of genes between dissimilar species and one that would never occur in nature–is great. “We are supposed to protect these different types of creatures that have evolved,” she says, “not dilute their genetic materials through random interaction.”

Other theological objections lie in the Torah’s commandments–or mitzvot–to take care of the natural world, respect its integrity and ultimately, to refrain from playing God. “The injunction at the beginning of Genesis where the world is given to Adam and he is told to subdue it–in that sense it is our obligation to make the world a better place,” says orthodox Rabbi Jacob Traub, of Adath Israel in San Francisco. “The people involved in bioengineering probably feel they are making the world better–they are taking corn that normally feeds four and feeding 400. Who’s to say they’re not doing God’s work? On the other hand, we’re possibly fooling around with Frankenstein.”
[/quote]

That’s about Genetically modified. I think the idea of stem cell grown goes a bit beyond this. Most koshers I know won’t

Also [quote]“Different sets of genes and, in the future, whole chromosomes will be able to be placed in other species. This blurs distinctions. Kosher laws are about distinctions, categories of foods that cannot be mixed,” said author and activist Jeremy Rifkin, one of biotechnology’s harshest critics for the past three decades. “There’s nothing to prevent scientists from putting genes from, say, a pig into other foods. That becomes a violation of kosher laws.”[/quote]

I know they aren’t exactly the same thing. But most people who keep kosher are cautious about it. And thus I seriously doubt that they will consider man made meat kosher. espcially considered that some orthadox jews don’t even consider domesticated livestock to be kosher, in that it is a form of the animal other than the natural form.

Also jewishsf.com/content/2-0-/mo … story.html

They don’t modify genes … they just grow cells, feed them and they grow into meat … jews it yeast breads, just not on a holiday/sabbath or something … this is the same … but anyways, I won’t care if they eat it or not …

Why on earth would anyone ever want to eat any kind of meat or meat-like substance? :wink:

But more seriously:

On Dec. 10 of last year, the environment editor of U.K.'s Independent Online posted a report from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), asserting that “the world’s top destroyer of the environment is not the car, or the plane, or even George Bush: It is the cow.”[/quote]

The latest studies are showing that animal husbandry is responsible for as much as a quarter of global warming and climate change.

The farting is only part of the problem (though methane is an especially troublesome greenhouse gas).

The biggest problem is the vast amounts of land, energy and other resources being used to produce feed for cattle and other farmed animals - particularly the grains that now constitute the main feedstuff of industrial farming.

In the US, for example, animal farming accounts for 70% of domestic grain consumption. And it takes many kilograms of grain (7.9 in the ultra-efficient US, much more elsewhere) to produce a single kilogram of meat.

What a terrible and unjustifiable waste of our world’s precious and oh-so-limited resources!

Even if I hated animals and revelled in the thought of them being raised and slaughtered in the unspeakably cruel manner of modern factory farming (as of course I don’t), I could never reconcile my conscience with consuming such an environmentally destructive product.

It is, plain and simply, downright wrong! And if humankind cannot recognise this fact and adjust their eating habits accordingly, then they’ll fully deserve the terrible consequences that will result from it as surely as night follows day.

I almost never eat red meat. Not for the animals, but for the environment. I am aware that chicken isn’t good for the environment. But it is not nearly as bad.

Moral issues? You’re made of meat. Not a veggie in you to boot.

You’re only called a veggie when your brain dead.

Feed the man meat, it’s natural and fulfilling. Tasty too. I guess you don’t eat or drink dairy products or eat eggs.

Guess thats why god made egg plants and bread fruit.

I can accept you not liking the taste of meat. You can try it raw, BBQ’d, charcoal grilled, stir fried, deep fried, or just smothered in nice sauces.

I like me veggies too.

Too bad cannabilism has been outlawed. Plenty of fresh meat running around all over the place.

I think we can stop blaming Margaret Thatcher now - She has been retired for a long time.