Good news or what? No more work permit needed

taipeitimes.com/news/2002/10 … 0000171148

Is this for real?

at the end of the article they mention that if you overstay as a spouse of a Taiwanese citizen you won’t have to leave the country, but instead just pay a fine. How are you supposed to get another visa? Here in Taiwan? Why can’t they do this right now?

Oh yeah?? Only a 2 year wait :x

When this is implemented, local practice will merely be in line with most countries.

It’s a good thing but waiting for 2 years for it to happen…please … are the wheels even turning.

Were you involved at all?

Bassman, I have clarified my previous post.

Local law treats foreigners (like for instance a foreign spouse like me) vastly worse than my wife was treated when she was a foreign spouse in Denmark. I think that other western countries treat foreign spouses even better.

Much better in Ireland and the UK. And the best of it is, you know the law and regulations BEFORE you apply, there are rights of appeal, and you are allowed to work, get a national insurance number, in other words, go about your business.

I agree with previous postings and this is for sure in Belgium.

The Belgian governement is pro joining family, not even HIV will stop this (as it is in Taiwan). Therefore Belgium does not require a medical for the spouse.

Social security, health insurance, work rights etc… no problem.

Taiwan has still way to go.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Adopted and proclaimed by General Assembly resolution 217 A (III) of 10 December 1948

Article 2.
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

Article 7.
All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 12.
No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

I wonder has anyone in the Taiwanese government any interest in this document ?

And another thing. Who decided that there were 250,000 foreign spouses ? (re Taipei Times article the other day). By the Taiwan government’s own criteria, Mainlanders are NOT foreigners, so Mainland spouses CANNOT be foreign spouses. Nothing like creating the impression of an impending “white peril” in Taiwan.

Southeast Asians for the most part.

That many ? I’m surprised.

[quote=“hexuan”]That many ? I’m surprised.[/quote]Perhaps it’s not as prevalent up north, but central and south Taiwan, every single street corner seems to have a sign or a shop front advertising Vietnamese, Indonesian or Mainland brides to order. Fixed price, satisfaction guaranteed, work hard, won’t-run-away…
I know at least a dozen guys who ‘own’ one and that’s in Taichung City. The stats in the countryside are unreal, but with all the smart girls heading for the bright city lights, it’s slim pickings for the guys who stay home on the farm.
Of course, but for the convenience of these bride-buyers, I don’t think we would have seen the steps made in improving our lot re visas and work permits in the last few years…

No slight to Richard or the others who worked on this intended of course.

It’s an awful shame to just limit it to one bride each. How much are they incidentally…?

there was an old guy in Ilan county that bought a Vietmanese bride…to cook clean have sex and serve him… unfortunately the snake testicles weren’t doing the job so it was always hanging at 6.30.

He found a solution though that would avoid his wife having this extra martial affair… that of course he knew about… he divorced her and let his son marry her and ride her away … he could still have his dinner made and well… some people prefer to watch and at that age its all in the mind anyway

Don’t know if this is true based on the standard and soures for reports on the TV here…

These emotion icons don’t work at all

[quote=“TNT”]

These emotion icons don’t work at all[/quote]

Allow me… :shock: :laughing: :wink: :!: