Good news? Taiwan home to 620,000 single women in their 30's

Of course “good news” (好消息) in Chinese often denotes a wedding, but I’m looking at this social phenomenon from the Western perspective here.

Apple Daily reports that a record 620,000 women in their 30’s are unmarried, which doubtlessly has left as many parents wringing their hands in anxiety. The paper cites women who are waiting for a guy with the right ‘credentials,’ who aren’t interested in getting married, or who are just down on their luck.

Regardless, it’s good news for people looking to date, and great news for Carnegie’s I’m sure. :sunglasses:

Here’s the whole report in translation:
http://www.hokwongwei.com/cpost/?p=374

Thoughts?

The numbers have really gone up. Last time this was news it was 300-400,000.

Pretty clear indictment of the men here, I would say.

I don’t know about that… there are some 800k single men, so it’s not like people are getting desperate. My take is that young (or to Taiwanese: old) people in their 30’s are finally realizing that a ticking biological clock doesn’t mean you just grab whoever’s next to you and make a baby, a generational shift from their parents who are most concerned about continuing the family line and being supported in their old age. In other words, the young (or to Taiwanese: getting old) generation is adopting more Western views of what relationships should be about.

Rats. Too much competition for the few available decent, family oriented guys.

That’s it. I am leaving this Island!

I believe this number has increased because nowadays many men are not interested in getting married. There are plenty of women that are ok in being booty calls, so men’s view about marriage is that it is an obsolete institution. The idea of getting a wife, then children, then mortgage, bills to pay, children’s education to worry about, in-laws, etc are becoming less appealing to taiwanese men.

That’s not so appealing to most Men anywhere :roflmao:

Au contrary dear Wattson.

I don’t need to read the article as anyone whom is here long enough knows that the highly educated, career savvy Taiwanese females are the ones whom are not in a hurry to marry a guy whom might just be as traditional as their grand-parents. Emancipation and women whom are better skilled vs. their male counterparts. FACT.
Nothing to do with “us” foreigners as we only represent 0.0X % of potentials for marriage. Some got lucky though :laughing:

Still, 600 K on a population of 23 Million is reasonable. Some will find the right chap to link with, others will find themselves still alone at their early forties.
The only negative outcome for this country , it’s growth and GDP is the lowest birth-rate ever. Which requires marriage as “living together” unmarried still remains a no-no in this corner.

Carnegies? those 30+ females are better educated, hence know better

1-A lot of the more eligible types in the male category ply their trade on the DaLoo. Go to any TWese company and it is overflowing with females.
2-There are many more professional women who know marriage will compromise their career aspirations (1&2 kind of feed of each other).
3-The ‘Strawberry’ generation has a serious arrested development problem.
4-A large portion of TW men treat women quite poorly, and women are not as dependent on men.
5-Marriage trends in almost all developing and developed countries are on the decline.

There was a piece in The Economist a couple of years back.

Asia’s lonely hearts

It said a big difference between from the West is that many East Asian women aged 30-40 have never been in a relationship. Obviously, this is a choice for some but I doubt very much that the majority of single men and women want to be without love and sex (a quick search of Wikipedia reveals studies like this that show the rate of asexuality is something like 1%).

It’s just not healthy, psychologically. Imagine being a virgin at 30 and heading, with ever increasing flaccidity, towards death :laughing: in the certain knowledge that you will never, ever, be so much as touched sexually. I reckon I might do my self in, rather than simply doing myself for the rest of my life.

Hang on there… I have plenty of Taiwanese friends who have been in one or fewer relationships but nearly none I know of who are virgins.

This is not really about empowerment and choice but a lack of choice. Commonwealth also ran an article a few years back. Most of these women have focused too much on education and career and simply have found themselves in their 30s with no social skills and no dating prospects. You can meet them in the countryside at guesthouses and hot springs where they pamper themselves and act all weird when a single man comes by.

So many women, so little time!

Hmmmm… could be that that the men in their 30’s are coddled by their Mommy. Why marry a woman when you have a woman who does your laundry, cooks for you, listens to you and thinks your the greatest guy alive when you can have your Mommy??? Could be that the women all think they are too good, princesses who shouldn’t have to ever work for anything. shrug Somewhere along the lines something went funny here. At home, most kids are out of the house in their early 20’s - due to their own motivation and most don’t go back. I’d rather live in a cardboard box than move back home with my parents…

As an aside, I’ll never forget the first time I had sex in the house of my TW boyfriend. He called it “his” house but really it was his parents house. Anyways, the whole friggin’ family was there (not THERE but in the house). Siblings, aunts and uncles…

Who wants to LIVE like that? MENTAL.

I hear alot of TW saying that their job is oh so important… Really? I wonder how that job is going to be when you’re 45? People live longer with spouses, prosper more… why don’t they get that here? Oh yeah - it’s PRACTICAL over ROMANTIC. Stupid me.

I’m going to be moving in with my gf’s family as a means of everyone saving money (they rent, not own), which in a way sort of completely inverts what’s supposed to happen to daughters in a Chinese family.

My understanding of marriage in Taiwan (and China is probably the same I assume) is that while in the West two young people leave their respective families, a Taiwanese marriage means the wife leaves her birth family behind and joins her husband’s family. So for example, my parents view my sister’s husband as a pseudo-family member, but recognize that they are an independent family unit; if we were Taiwanese, my parents would have given my sister away into her husband’s family, and she’d likely live together with his parents.

This causes a lot of household tension, particularly for the bridge who has to learn to be subordinate not only to her husband (although I’m sure there are plenty of nice guys out there), but also to her husband’s parents. And the way many kids (esp. boys) are spoiled today, she may subordinate to her own children, too.

Suddenly it’s clear why nobody wants to deal with getting married. It’s a huge hassle. I’m personally thinking of eloping instead of going through all the hopes of 請客 and wasting time and money on empty pleasantries.

It’s all of the above.
Now we have to understand the rate of marriage has plunged overseas too. Where I’m from, until recently a very traditional catholic country, more kids are born praise of wedlock than in wedlock. They just have to get over their aversion to having single mothers in society and there needs to be some changes or else the birth rate will drop even more.

The corresponding rate of unmarried mothers here is very low. So I would say the BIGGER problem is a lack of empowerment among women, socially and financially.

Taiwan’s society is a bit messed up in a lot of ways, and it’s a wonder more people don’t completely flip out under the expectations of others. They need to break free from these over bearing expectations, easier said than done in a crappy economy with no social welfare, I know.

Men can marry later or import brides so to me the more revealing statistic is the rising number of unmarried females.

Even having a girlfriend is a f**king hassle

Not when that girlfriend helps you remove incriminating dents from your vehicle after you’ve been chilling at a hostess bar and conspires to help you flee the country to boot. I wonder how Mrs. Dean Zain feels about marriage.

Great. The world needs a lot less babies.

And many of those single men and women are unmarryable anyway. Sure, some unlucky yet. Wry deserving women out there but by and large those still on the shelf have been passed over for a reason.

I dig your cynicism but it’s unfortunately misplaced. People are still procreating – the world population hit 7b last year – but it’s happening in developing and emerging countries, many of which will face trouble sustaining their population. In the developed world, birth rates are declining among the educated and city-dwellers, but less so among rural, uneducated, and poor households. This is going to cause more problems than solutions.

The world needs fewer old people, not fewer babies. Although old people I’m told make for a good consumer market.

The world needs fewer people, period. Old people and young people alike.

We need to find a good way to get rid of 4 billion people in a hurry. In a way that doesn’t jeopardise the lifestyle of the rest… a virus that targets people on marginal nutrition (much of sub-Saharan aAfrica and central Asia), for example, or that thrives in areas of high density, high humidity, and high salinity (SE Asia and the Indian coast). Not that Gaia doesn’t try to throw up some all the time. Maybe we should not step in and block the next bird flu, but let it do its thing unchecked…

Not enough people are advocating depopulation. Why not? There are far too many people in the world. Perhaps paying more for children rather than getting govt subsidies wold work in the developed world, but the problem is most acute in the undeveloped world, particularly Asia and Africa.