Good online personals in Taipei?

Hi!

I’m going to be in Taipei from mid-January through mid-August 2005 on a Fulbright. I’m single and I’m wondering if there are any good online personals websites for meeting people in Taipei? (I’m sorry if this topic has already been done to death, but I looked back at the posts for about a month and didn’t quite find this topic covered.)

Incidentally, I’m a divorced, white male, 42.

Thanks in advance!

You’ve found it, buddy! :wink:

Really? Well, I find kind of geeky saying this here, but okay like I said I’m a single (divorced), soon-to-be 42-year-old heterosexual white male. I’m an unpretentious intellectual with a fondness for both pop and high culture. I’ll be in Taipei from mid-January to mid-August 2005 on a Fulbright. I’d be interested in meeting either Chinese or non-Chinese women. Pictures available upon request, or if you’d just like to chat and get to know me better. (I hope this ad doesn’t sound crass or cheesy. I’m actually a nice guy. But then I guess everyone says that whether they’re nice or not. :wink: )

Well, if you’re going to be staying for only a few months, then perhaps you’re not looking for a serious relationship, but rather something more physical? You could try the friendfinder personals (www.friendfinder.com). They have many subspecialty sites within their network, and are used by people around the globe.

Well, I didn’t mean it as a “booty call.” On the other hand, I’m not planning on finding a spouse in Taiwan.

Hang around Alleycat’s pizza joint and ask every Western woman you see out on a date. They are all dying for it.
If you want a Chinese, go to Carnegie’s.
There are a number of sites for what you want. Consult your Google apparatus.

Well, most women here between 25 and 35 will date you and have sex with you as a warm-up to marriage. Relationships here tend to get heavy fast, unless you limit yourself to the under 25 crowd, and they are perhaps not emotionally mature enough. You can also go for single women your age, but where to find them?

Friendfinder is a good bet, but beware, a casual look at their web site stats seemed to indicate that they had thousands of male members looking for females, and only a big handful of female members looking for male company.

In other words, the male/female ratio is something like 40/1. Good hunting. I hope for your sake that you write how rich you are or that you are hung like a donkey.

OK, there are plenty of females looking in Taipei, but they are not on the web to the extent you would think, and if they are they are on Chinese language web sites (You speak Chinese by any chance?).

I would suggest book stores, busses, place where femaleshang out, special interest clubs (flower arrangement, mountaineering, and the like), Tealit, Forumosa’s perhaps coming online ads and the like.

Alternately, you could troll MSN, ICQ, Yahoo and whatever messenger systems you can think of. ICQ has a match service, if I recall. But then I suppose they all must.
Why do you want online personals? Something wrong with meeting real people in real time face to face?
Or…walk to the end of Snake Alley and turn left.

EEk! Snake Alley!

Yes, the women/men ratio on the personals sites is far from equal. The only one I know of that is fair is Friendster, but that will soon change as well.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]
Why do you want online personals? Something wrong with meeting real people in real time face to face? [/quote]
No, I’ve just had more luck in the states meeting nice, interested women online. Maybe that will be different in Taiwan, and if it is, great!

LOL Uh oh. What is on the other side of Snake Alley and to the left? Brothels? If so, I’ll pass. :slight_smile:

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Hang around Alleycat’s pizza joint and ask every Western woman you see out on a date. They are all dying for it.
If you want a Chinese, go to Carnegie’s.[/quote]
Excellent info! Thanks!

Yeah, I’m familiar with the sites people are mentioning. I just wasn’t sure how well they work in Taipei. Sounds like they’re not the way to go, given the male:female ratio.

I think going to places where people normally hang out is your best option. If you speak even a little Chinese, it will be of benefit. Clubs, pubs, markets, they’re all places where people flock to and a good place to start in my opinion.

Hui. Yidian.

Thanks! Helfpul suggestions! Is “Tealit” a teahouse, bar or restaurant?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Tealit is another website/ e-meat-market (oops! did I say that?) :stuck_out_tongue:

“e-meat-market”? I think you mean “e-brothel”.

Tealit

Check out their personals.

it would appear that the females in the Taiwanese yahoo personals and similar plaes are either nutty or very ugly.

There are several clubs for differerent interests here in Taiwan, off roading, hiking, tea drinking, god knows what. They are also good places to start.

Apart from that, then you will be a fullbright scholar. Several birds around your university, I would say. Put up a language exchange ad somewhere, and leave your email, you will get replies.

Get one of those teaching gigs (you don’t have to have any experience in this field) where you “educate” the prospective airline stewardesses.

[quote=“bryan12603”]
Incidentally, I’m a divorced, white male, 42. ![/quote]

Please you wont need a personal ad, just get off the plane, and the ladies will be in your lap faster than you can say ‘ni hao’ Best of luck when you come :rainbow:

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“bryan12603”]
Incidentally, I’m a divorced, white male, 42. ![/quote]

Please you wont need a personal ad, just get off the plane, and the ladies will be in your lap faster than you can say ‘ni hao’ Best of luck when you come :rainbow:[/quote]

LOL Good to know! Thanks!