Good online personals in Taipei?

Okay, this will sound like a very dumb question, but… Where on forumosa can one post/read personal ads? (There doesn’t seem to be a category for them!)

I’m sure the mods here won’t mind me pointing out that there are classified ads on the taiwan ho website –

taiwanho.com/classifieds/

Especially if you’re looking for Thai girls called Sukkok and Liktit – there’s probably even a Korean called Young Bum-suk if you search hard enough! :wink:

[quote=“magnolia”]I’m sure the mods here won’t mind me pointing out that there are classified ads on the taiwan ho website –

taiwanho.com/classifieds/ [/quote]

Taiwan…ho…?

Let’s just pretend the people who came up with that name were very innocent about double entendres. :s

Definetly check out the tealit.com personals. There seems to be several Chinese and western girls looking for a date in Taipei. A good idea would be to exchange mails in advance with a few of these ladies and then you can hit the ground running…no pun intended.

It’s my first post! :smiley:

Congratulations on losing your Forumosa-virginity! :laughing:

(Sorry. Hope that’s not too risque for this bb. :blush: )

Okay. If someone refers to ethnicity in an ad and says “ABC” what does it mean?

By the way, it looks like this is a topic that has been done to death in other threads, but just to toss my own liang3 mao2 in, I would personally date either a “Westerner” or a native Taiwanese woman. I can see advantages and disadvantages on both sides, so I think the main thing is whether you and the other person enjoy spending time together.

ABC usually refers to American Born Chinese. CBC is Canadian Born Chinese.

Well, that means pretty much all of Taipei/Taiwan is open :wink:

I’d say you could try for language exchange. Many people have found relationships with native gals doing that. For Western women in Taiwan, don’t you worry, they’re out there.

O.K. Could someone please fill me in as to what an Austrailan or NZ’er-born Chinese is???
OBC (Oz born C?) or KBC (Kiwi born C ?) huh?
Clueless in Taipei ???
THNX :unamused:

ABC usually refers to American Born Chinese. CBC is Canadian Born Chinese.
[/quote]

I have friends here in the States that are U.S.-born Chinese, and they become upset when labelled as so, as most people from the West should know that ABC for many years has meant ‘already been chewed.’ :blush:

In the West or in the US/Canada? I have NEVER heard that expression. In Australia, ABC is the Australian Broadcasting Commission (national broadcaster) and I literally can’t remember ever having heard anyone refer to themselves that way in Oz. However, I have heard the term ABC (Australian Born Chinese) used about others. Dunno about NZ.

In the West or in the US/Canada? I have NEVER heard that expression. In Australia, ABC is the Australian Broadcasting Commission (national broadcaster) and I literally can’t remember ever having heard anyone refer to themselves that way in Oz. However, I have heard the term ABC (Australian Born Chinese) used about others. Dunno about NZ.[/quote]
That was the big joke in elementary school: You want some ABC gum?

HAHA…I’m an ABC and I’ve never heard of the ‘already been chewed’ but I think it’s hella funny. I’d rather be known as an ABC rather than be mistaken an local not that there is anything wrong w/ that of course.

ABC = “already been chewed”???
I was raised in the South, spent 8 years on the East Coast and 5 years on the West Coast. I’ve lived in Maine, Alaska, even Northern Colorado. And I’ve never ONCE heard the term “already been chewed.”

I first heard ABC as a benign acronym for “American-born Chinese” when I was living in Washington, DC in the 1990s.

“Already been chewed” doesn’t even make sense as a slur!
:noway:

So… Would you like some ABC gum? :laughing:

I remember using that one all the time and then putting some wet ABCed Bubblicious in their hand. :smiley: (I imagine I’m a little off topic from the title, but I only read this page)

I almost introduced the idea of ABC gum to my curious 5th graders, but the adult side of me held back. Maybe on April 1st…

I am with namahottie on this one. It seems you can already speak some of the language. I’m guessing that you learned Mandarin through books from mainland China (Chinese Practical Reader, anyone?). The Taiwanese women here will love doing an exchange with you to help you lose your Beijing accent…
For the record, the only one who cared was a taxi driver who took the time to stop laughing at me to say “You have a Beijing accent” before continuing in his laughter.
:frowning:

[quote=“Peter-Paul”]
“Already been chewed” doesn’t even make sense as a slur!
:noway:[/quote]

This goes back to my grade school years, and is still a regular term amongst youngsters, referring mostly to bubblegum.