Good place for drinks?

Folks,

I am looking for a place in Taipei that is quiet and has good drinks at a fair price. When I mean good drinks, I mean the kind that slap you in face. Don’t need blinking lights, the Combat Zone, or a chance for a shag… just a drinkin’ bar.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

DB

[quote=“Durins Bane”]Folks,

I am looking for a place in Taipei that is quiet and has good drinks at a fair price. When I mean good drinks, I mean the kind that slap you in face. Don’t need blinking lights, the Combat Zone, or a chance for a shag… just a drinkin’ bar.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

DB[/quote]

Post Home for me.

Others will disagree but I still like Saloon.

People behind the Far Eastern has a nice bar, and the outside section at the Far Eastern that sells german sausage/beer deals (nr the water feature thing) is also nice…

the villa has a good atmosphere, very laid back with beautiful oriental deco. The prices for drinks are pretty standard, like all other bars…$200-250 for spirit drinks. can’t quite remember beer prices as i don’t drink beers. But there’s only one way of finding out…

the villa
2735 0880
No. 30, Lane 11, Loli Road

Let us know how you go : )

For just drinking and maybe a little pool and televised sports, I like DV8, My Place, or the Brass Monkey. DV8 is more of a beer place.

If you want some real entertainment, go to Roxy 99 on Friday or Saturday night and watch the drunk foreigners and shaojies as they do the mating dance. Hilarious.

[quote=“blueface666”]

Post Home for me.[/quote]

Me too, but I haven’t seen you there for a while.

Chou

Qbar
Citizen Cain
Spaceman
Aliang and Friends

Dan Ryan’s in the evening (not at the bar… get a table more inside the restaurant). It has a warm but lively (at least on Fri and Sat) atmosphere and the manager, Shirly, is a very, very nice person.

I went to Post Home once 2 years ago and all i heard was a white executive type guy and his posse of 4 making racist remarks about American blacks, women and Mexicans.

I will never go there again. I think it is a US outpost for rightwing conservative people and other rednecks. Enter at your own pleasure.

Some considerations for me are music and smoke. I like Dan Ryan

[quote=“formosa”]I went to Post Home once 2 years ago and all i heard was a white executive type guy and his posse of 4 making racist remarks about American blacks, women and Mexicans.

I will never go there again. I think it is a US outpost for rightwing conservative people and other rednecks. Enter at your own pleasure.[/quote]

They any worse than your repeated “Ugly American” remarks? :unamused: Like they say, every thread has to turn into something about America.

Anyway, the Post Home has good, cold beer and great pizza.

where is ‘Post Home’? What sort of bar is it? Young / old or mixed…posh or spit & sawdust… always up for trying new places, but not heard of this place.

Is Green Bar still around?

Qbar is okay, but service and noise levels can vary greatly.

Laid back. Mixed crowd. Check this thread for more info:

forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=9744

A friend took me to the Tavern last night, where we enjoyed a few Belgian beers, some very good food, and a very clean pub. The service was also very professional.

I met the owner, who has been so roundly lambasted here online. I thought he was fine. A bit high-strung, but overall he was a gracious host to me and my friend, even after he knew that both of us are Americans who teach English in Taiwan.

DB, I know you’re curious about the Tavern. Go and have a nice Belgian or choose from their many mixed drinks, and judge for yourself.

[quote=“Tomas”]A friend took me to the Tavern last night, where we enjoyed a few Belgian beers, some very good food, and a very clean pub. The service was also very professional.

I met the owner, who has been so roundly lambasted here online. I thought he was fine. A bit high-strung, but overall he was a gracious host to me and my friend, even after he knew that both of us are Americans who teach English in Taiwan.

DB, I know you’re curious about the Tavern. Go and have a nice Belgian or choose from their many mixed drinks, and judge for yourself.[/quote]

Thanks Tomas…I just might do that. I should go judge for myself. And if the owner is rude to me, then I could always hork all over his floor.

Tomsa, just wait until this weekend’s Taipei Times. I got a sneak preview and he trashes you in an interview.