Just wondering what are good places to go to and enjoy my time in Taipei or Taichung. Leaving next week and will be in Taipei and Taichung one week each.
We stopped by Taichung last week (when we were on our way back to Taipei from Kending) and weren’t all that impressed.
Unless you have family or some other urgent reason for going to Taichung, I suggest you consider either spending more time in Taipei or going somewhere scenic like Taroko Gourge or Ali-Shan.
Off the top of my head Taipei has:
- The National Palace Museum which has an increadible collection of Chinese art and antiques.
- At least 4 or 5 big nightmarkets which are open every night.
- Taipei 101.
- Xi-Men Ding: some may disagree, but I think it’s a little bit like Tokyo’s Shinjuku district, where all the ‘cool kids’ hang out, you can get mobile phone stuff, video games, gifts for people back home etc.
- Zhong Xiao East Road and the Warner villiage have plenty of up-market shopping, all your designer gear etc.
- For food, I’ve been here over four years and still eat out almost every night - there are so many places to eat out!
- Close to the hot-springs at Beitou.
- Close to Yang-Min shan national park.
Too many things to list, I’m pretty confident that that’s not the case with Taichung. Put it this way, when we were passing through, we phoned a few Taiwanese friends living there where to go for a place to eat - the best they could come up with was McDonalds, Napoli pizza and Chillis.
Thanks a lot for your advice. I would also be spending a weekend in Kenting. I guess I should stay out of Taichung.