Good recruiter experiences?

Hello out there in Forumosa land. I have been reading avidly as much as I could find on here. However unfortunately I discovered many of the links and information was out of date. I would prefer to avoid ending up in a huge chain school such as Kojen from what I have read.

I have checked out Buxiban.com and tealits.com job listings. Unfortunately there was not much posted there that suited my needs. (well technically I’ve just been frustrated by Buxiban.coms inscrutable registration system) Thus I would like to hear positive recruiter experiences. Is there anyone I can trust? I’m tired of hearing from ‘Nigerian-Koreans’, but there just doesn’t seem to be much taiwanese job postings.

Jenny Lai, Taipei, was good for me, it was a long time ago and I have no idea her number. She lives(d) somewhere on Roosevelt Road.

(Took 20% of the first month’s salary) A fair deal as she put me in the exact situation that I was looking for.

Trent Widdup (I believe his company is called CICE), based in Kaohsiung, is by far the best recruiter in Taiwan.

Are you in Taiwan now?If you are, then Internet registration forms are a waste of time. Get out and pound the pavement or answer specific ads. If you are serious about Taiwan, then make the commitment and get on out here.

Sure, contact the recruiters mentioned above, but be prepared to wait and have all your documents in eletronic form, ready to be e-mailed at a moment’s notice.

And about Joy School? I can tell you that it is worse than a babysitting gig. You work four classes a day and you must be in the school from 2-9 or some ridiculous hours. The remaining time you are “helping” the kids in the general reception area, on display for the parents and whoever.

If you are not in Taiwan, then you should also check and compare other countries such as Thailand and Korea. Good luck and continue reading this message board…it’s the best. :notworthy:

Hello and thank you all for your prompt replies.

I have checked and compared Taiwan, Korea and Japan. I don’t really like the idea of flying over there without anything lined up, especially as I am only moderately attractive and don’t have any real experience. However it seems to be almost impossible to tell if someone is telling the truth or not and whether or not a contract is honorable from over here. I’ll try to contact those recruiters.

Buxiban guy:
I think I registered several times for your site and never got any contact about it / was unable to logon. There is no option to check for forgotten passwords.

Jbaroh[quote]I don’t really like the idea of flying over there without anything lined up, especially as I am only moderately attractive and don’t have any real experience. However it seems to be almost impossible to tell if someone is telling the truth or not and whether or not a contract is honorable from over here. I’ll try to contact those recruiters. [/quote]

it’s a eally good idea to ask about good recruiters because there are a lot of bad ones out there and they’re the ones you mostly hear about. I work for a very small school and my boss/es are awesome. (No recruiters involved)

If you’re a safe player (I don’t really like the idea of flying over there without anything lined up) are you sure this is the adventure you’re after. Nothing is as it seems in Taiwan, except the illusion that things are as they seem. :wall:

I hope it all works out well.

The scope of this thread is about recruiters and I would like to respect this, but as a representative of the buxiban.com website I would like to point out that there is no problem with the registration process on our site. Individuals who are having trouble with registration concerns are welcome to contact us per our site.

Now, in answer to your question about recruiters and lining work up before you arrive, my advice would be to be careful. It seems to me that often people use recruiters and commit to work before they arrive as it gives them a sense of some job security. Often times though this is a false sense of security, as it isn

I agree with the above advice.

IMO, there are enough resources on the web now that you needn’t deal with recruiters at all. Sites such as the one Brian represents, Tealit, this one and others allow you to cut out the middleman and contact schools directly. There must be some good recruiters out there, and I’m sure some will write in to report more decent ones, but --generally-- I would say give them a miss. I don’t mind telling you I had a negative experience with a recruiter when I arrived; I’ve met many others who have as well.

I was convinced by some that it was better to have a job arranged before I came. The reasoning was that it is better to know you have a job before undertaking something like relocating. Turned out for me that security was an illusion. I like factory boss’ sentiment. If you need everything to be safe and secure with no risks, you may want to rethink your plans. It’s been said that the only real security that exists can be found between your ears. This is especially true here. Things can go wrong no matter how much you try to prepare and attempt to make your landing here a soft one. Generally, the more you take matters such as your own employment search into your own hands, as opposed to trusting people you don’t know who are working for commissions, the better off you’ll likely be. Ideally, that would mean waiting until you get here to check out schools and places you’ll be living in person. If you’re not willing to go that far, the next best would be to deal with a reputable school directly and choose a location in major center.

Isn’t “good recruiter” an oxymoron? :wink:
Joking. :rainbow: