Good swimming instruction with possible future competition

[quote=“asiababy”]Dive is 跳水 “Tiao Shui” (my pinyin is horrid so anyone can feel free to correct that!)
Diving board is 跳水台

I did a search in Chinese like this: 可以跳水游泳池台北 - Pools where you can dive in Taipei. Just pop that into google search or similar and lots of Chinese sites come up, mostly discussion forums where people are looking for the same thing.[/quote]

Thanks.

Here’s a link to the swimming club in Ximen if anyone’s interested. bwss.myweb.hinet.net/

My friend told me the coach is very well qualified and skilled.

[quote=“Petrichor”]Here’s a link to the swimming club in Ximen if anyone’s interested. bwss.myweb.hinet.net/

My friend told me the coach is very well qualified and skilled.[/quote]

This place seems very popular. I’ve taken my kids to the Renai one but they were overwhelmed by the noise and the crowd. It was pretty intense. They have classes every hour of every day. We ended up not signing up. That was for the beginner swimming lessons they hold during the day. It might well be what the OP is looking for. Going by their lesson training, it looks like the more advanced swimmers have training in the 5-7pm time-slots.

[quote=“asiababy”][quote=“Petrichor”]Here’s a link to the swimming club in Ximen if anyone’s interested. bwss.myweb.hinet.net/

My friend told me the coach is very well qualified and skilled.[/quote]

This place seems very popular. I’ve taken my kids to the Ren’ai one but they were overwhelmed by the noise and the crowd. It was pretty intense. They have classes every hour of every day. We ended up not signing up. That was for the beginner swimming lessons they hold during the day. It might well be what the OP is looking for. Going by their lesson training, it looks like the more advanced swimmers have training in the 5-7pm time-slots.[/quote]

Thanks for interpreting the information.

I went to our local sports centre yesterday but the swimming pool there is small and shallow right across.

It looks like I missed a couple pages of posts so forgive me if I’m repeating things already said. It turns out the pool where we swim in Xizhi has a team that meets there and the time is every day at 5 pm (and not 5 am like my wife and I originally thought!). This makes me believe that these teams are more widespread than I originally guessed. I watched kids from another team swimming there on Saturday and they seemed good. Even the young kids had good freestyle form. So my advice to those interested in competition for their kids is to ask the people at the local pool, and if he/she eventually shows promise and desire sign up to a team with a good coach.

My guess is that this is the Xizhi swimming club’s pool. They told me they run junior lifeguard courses every summer, for elementary school kids. We were too late to join up this year.

Daughter has restarted school swimming classes this year (grade 2). From her description, there’s been no progress at all since I sat in on a lesson last year in grade 1. Although the class is divided into 2 levels of ability in the water, the advanced class is still queuing like crocodiles in chest-deep water for the chance to then swim 5m of pseudo-freestyle.

It’s really sad - I remember my school swimming, the range of badges you could collect (red - 1 length, through green, blue, yellow, white, bronze, silver, gold).
White, you had to tread water in pajamas & then fashion a flotation device from the trouser legs, all in 3m deep water. Silver was a zillion lengths of the pool and took so long that I remember having to miss double math. I never quite made it to my gold badge. I can only think of 1 pool here in Hualien that is deep, and that’s never filled properly because it’s then ‘unsafe’. So you have to climb half-way down the ladder to access 1.40m of water. It’s GOOD to swim in deep water folks, it encourages that survival instinct.

I’m depressed.

Looks like we might be searching out some private lessons or a summer camp for Nuit Jr.

That’s been our experience of school swimming lessons, too. What irks me most is how the teachers spend half an hour talking at the kids before even allowing them in the water every lesson. I was going to suggest Shida University swimming courses because they have a good reputation, but I saw you’re in Hualian. Maybe try the local sports centre. I know Taipei sports centres have swimming lessons and swimming clubs. Xinyi swimming club is supposed to be pretty good.

I see that in my university’s swimming pool too. I really don’t get it. Class supposedly starts at ten minutes past the hour. Students slowly straggle out of the change rooms. The lecture starts at around half past, with students sitting in front of the teacher on the deck. It goes on for half an hour. Then it’s break time. The students get in the pool at around a quarter past the second hour. They’re in the water for maybe 10-15 minutes, with some of the swimming/wading as much as a length. Then they get out at around half past because they need to shower and change.

On depth: I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen a deep pool in Taiwan. Our school’s pool is fantastic for lengths - 50 meters, lane ropes, often I’m on my own in a lane - but it’s around 120cm deep at either end, with a maximum depth of I believe 140cm in the middle. I can stand on the bottom and have my head above water everywhere, and I’m quite short.

I still haven’t found the kind of instruction I want for my daughter. I ran into a swimming instructor I was considering for my daughter at a triathlon two weeks ago. I actually came out of the water before he did. In all fairness, though, he was doing the entire triathlon and I was just doing the swimming leg for a relay team. But still, I’m probably a good two decades older than he is. Kind of disappointed by that.

I really would like to find someone that has some competition background. I’m self-taught and I’m sure there are things I’m doing incorrectly. I don’t think I can teach my daughter too much more than I already have.

How can anyone learn to swim & survive in water without having 2-3m of the wet stuff under them. You can’t. 140cm makes me either :doh:or :roflmao:.

Found this online from Singapore, vid looks a bit old but the organization is still around & it’s kind of what I want:
[url]http://swim2survive.com/swimming_programs.html[/url]

pyjama swimming
3m jump
endless lengths
etc.

In other words, a challenge. Is there anything like that here in Taiwan?