Good tailor in Taipei

I hope they appreciate it! :rofl:

This is also my concern. I would want something more fitted and not loose classic fit for older men. It’s just the cost of a tailored shirt is so cheap in Taiwan, wouldn’t even cover the fabric in Europe.

I went to one younger trendy shop with younger tailors in Zhongxiao shopping district. Same old cut. I was shocked. I think their customers are maybe also older less fit men that want extra room in the suit.

Yea, I like the price and ease of availability in Taiwan. So I just keep trying.

1 Like

Have you checked out these guys? http://www.nobility.com.tw/index

Even if it’s not European standard in quality, I can sacrifice a little in that in order to get a good fit for me. It’s just impossible for me to buy off the rack. My shoulders are too wide for mass produced shirts and the only way I can get my sleeve length is to get a huge loose shirt which I end up having to tailor but never fits that amazing.

I have not checked them out, but I would, given the location is a little pocket of upscale trendy. Site looks good.

I have had good experiences with both of these, but then, I do not think I am very picky.

Jonie Cherie

I know Jonie Cherie because they made the suits for all the company staff when I once worked for a stockbroker in the 1990s. When I rejoined the workforce after grad school a few years later, I looked them up myself and had a suit and a couple shirts made. They were still at the Howard Plaza when I went back a few years ago to get some things fixed after I moved back to Taiwan from China. Their Facebook page indicates they moved in 2017 to their own spot

在訂做西服業界三十餘年, 我們提供多樣化的選擇及細膩的手工, 從西裝到襯衫, 男裝到女裝, 為您打造最時尚的品味! 本店位於台北喜來登大飯店B1商店街16號 電話:(02)2351-5817 分店位於台北市鎮江街3號1樓 電話:(02)2357-7067 歡迎蒞臨參觀指教! 歡迎使用國民旅遊卡!
GOOGLE TRANSLATE: For more than 30 years in the custom-made suit industry, we have provided a variety of choices and delicate handicrafts, from suits to shirts, menswear to womenswear, to create the most fashionable taste for you! This store is located at No. 16 B1 Shopping Street, Sheraton Taipei Hotel Tel: (02) 2351-5817 The branch is located on the first floor of No. 3, Zhenjiang Street, Taipei. Tel: (02) 2357-7067 Welcome to visit and teach! Welcome to the National Travel Card!

Joseph Tailor

A couple years ago, I wanted to some pants made, and I went here when I found a recommendation posted here. I liked what he made plus he threw in a shirt for free, which is my best fitting work shirt :slight_smile:

http://josephtailor.looker.tw/

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll have to check them out!

Out of curiosity - how much does one of these suits usually cost? Are there lots of options for material/print?
My great-uncle used to travel a ton, and his favorite suitcoat was a golden dragon-print one that he got in Hong Kong in the 80s. I don’t have a lot of chances to wear a fancy suit but I think it’d be really fun to have a ‘party’ type jacket like that, I just have no idea where to go in Taiwan to get the fabric or where to then get it made into a jacket.

I tried both tailors for shirts at Howard a few years ago. No joy.

It highly depends on the fabric. I think you can get a decent 2 piece suit for around 20-25k in Taiwan. The cost of labor is pretty low. Most of the cost will depend on the fabric.

It’s the Landis Hotel, not Ritz. Maybe it was the Ritz in 2003?

Who the hell says “strongly recommend” except someone doing marketing?

The French restaurant inside Landis is kind of nice small simple throughback to historic Paris once your inside. Art Deco style hotel inside.

So if I went to, say, the fabric market on Dihua street and bought my own, it should be fairly cheap to get a suit/jacket/shirt tailor-made, yes?

I don’t find it that weird.

I checked nobility and it seems their prices are on the higher end. Not sure if it’s worth it to pay HK prices in Taiwan.

Probably. I don’t know enough to say about buying your own fabric in Dihua.

Try the Caesar Park hotel near Taipei Main.

You can get an excellent tailored suit at Ermenegildo Zegna. A bit cheaper in Italy than in Taiwan.

Just looking for shirts right now. I do like Zegna, but they are a bit overpriced for the name.

Back in the days Zegna was pretty much our uniform at Drexel Burnham.

I think they’ve raised the price in recent years actually.

I used to get stuff made in Bangkok, until I found this guy:

You can take your own fabric from either of the two fabric areas in Taipei or you can check out the fabrics he has.
I have only had shirts and trousers made so far and I am happy (and I am fastidious).
They are fitted, no 90s cut. He will work with you on the style and get the fitting right.

2 Likes