Good value Websites for shopping/shipping to Taiwan

I am looking for an online computer store that delivers to Tawain. I would prefer a store that is based in Taiwan. Can’t find 3C (maybe they only have a Chinese website).

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Do Amazon ship to Taiwan at all?

Brian[/quote]

Yes.

Stevieboy: There are a lot of Chinese websites selling electronics online here in Taiwan. English ones, I haven’t come across before, but there might be some. One way to search would be to use Taiwan’s Yam search engine in English and see if there are any English listings under electronics shops. The link I gave earlier in this thread is from a company that delivers to Taiwan and helps with the import tax situation by providing a lower invoice value.

If you’re looking for deep discounts, then skip Amazon – take a look at BooksAMillion.com instead. They also have the domain bamm.com if you don’t want to do all that typing. :slight_smile:

I saved over $100 on a single item (language instruction CDs) a couple of years ago by ordering from bamm.com instead of amazon.com .

Only thing is, I don’t know anything about their international shipping policies. :frowning: Sorry.

I tried buying some stuff from Amazon, and they said “we don’t shipt o Taiwan”. What’s going on?

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I tried buying some stuff from Amazon, and they said “we don’t shipt o Taiwan”. What’s going on?

Brian[/quote]What ‘stuff’ did you try to order ? There are some things, like software, they don’t ship abroad for some reason I can’t fathom. But DVD’s they do.

It was just a book.

Weird. We’ve gotten books from them before. Just got a couple of DVDs last week too.

Northamericandvd doesn’t ship to Taiwan. So I ordered it from Amazon and it’s on it way.

Has anyone ever had any problems with customs when ordering things, ever had any tax charged ? I haven’t when ordering stuff, but I had to pay some tax when I had a box of stuff couriered over.

I have never been charged duty tax on anything shipped from overseas, but I have a friend (an American) who was once charged a hefty tax on clothes he ordered from an online store. He told me that he found out later that things are taxed only if the value of the products is more than 3000 NT and it’s not marked as a “gift”. But I can’t verify whether this is accurate information, and also it might depend on what kind of product it is that is being “imported”.

By the way, about buying books online: I found this website, where you enter the title and author of a certain book, and then it shows you a chart of the price of that book at about a dozen different online bookstores, for both new and used books. It’s a great website, and also it can also compare prices for CD’s and DVD’s (first click on the corresponding tab). But the only problem is that about half of the bookstores only ship to American addresses.

we never pay taxes when our orders are shipped by post. i think you always do with couriers.

My last Amazon order was a mixture of books and DVDs. I had to pay customs tax on the DVDs, but not on the books.

I’ve ordered from Amazon and they ship books to Taiwan.

I’ve ordered from Land’s End and gotten charged a customs tax. It depends on the value of your order. I ordered less the 2nd time round and didn’t have to pay taxes.

Btw, Land’s End did tell me that they could not ship any clothing made in China to Taiwan - despite all those manufacturing labels you see.

And yes, YesAsia books are ALWAYS more expensive than Amazon’s… until you factor in the shipping cost. Taken together, YesAsia’s ALWAYS cheaper.

Is it really worth it to order electronics from a Taiwan store online when there’s usually a 3C shop somewhere nearby?

Shimmers, I hear what you are saying. There is a 3C nearby. My family is very keen on shopping for me. They want to see the gifts, pay for the gifts type thing. I guess it makes them feel better about us being here and not at home!