Good video to show JHS students in class?

I’m looking for a good video to play in class on the last day. The age group is around JHS 1-2 and their English is maybe low-advanced. Preferably it would be something under an hour long, age-appropriate obviously, hopefully something most haven’t seen.

Normally I don’t do time-wasters like watching videos in class, but these guys have been my students for four years, and I’ll at least inject warm-up, interim and post-movie discussion breaks in there.

Check out this site:

film-english.com

[quote=“tatterdemalion”]Check out this site:

film-english.com[/quote]
That’s a fantastic site for high school kids. :thumbsup:

[quote=“tatterdemalion”]Check out this site:

film-english.com[/quote]
That is a great site, like funkymonkey said.
There is also a book by oxford university press called “film” which is very good for ESL learners. I know you are in Linkou, but if you are ever in Taipei I will lend you my copy.

Another site I can recommend is Lesson Stream (lessonstream.org). Similar to Film English, this site contains lots of engaging lessons based on video clips.

Busy Teacher (busyteacher.org) has quite a few worksheets to go with popular films, including 500 Days of Summer, Monsters Inc. and Life of Pi. Just do a search for movie worksheet.

I appreciate all of these very much, but in addition, can anyone suggest an actual specific title of a relatively short, not-too-difficult film or self-contained show that goes over well with that age group? I was thinking of “The Iron Giant” - other ideas?

Do you have a theme?

I use vid when I can make it relevant to the unit/book I’m doing, and don’t usually do the trad (?) post-midterm film watching/sleeping session, partly because there isn’t usually enough time for a full-length film.

People who do tell me “Friends” works well, and I’ve used it in the distant past when the theme was “personality”.

Students seemed to like it. These are students at a private university, but perhaps not that different to JH?

Isn’t The Iron Giant too long? (I saw it when I visited Taiwan in 1999, from a coffee shop in Taipei main station, projected on the side of the then- tallest building in Taipei, just opposite, so my memory of it as full-length film may not be accurate.) If you’ve got the time WALL-E might also fit, though they’ll likely have seen it.

[quote=“E04teacherlin”][quote=“tatterdemalion”]Check out this site:

film-english.com[/quote]
That is a great site, like funkymonkey said.
There is also a book by oxford university press called “film” which is very good for ESL learners. I know you are in Linkou, but if you are ever in Taipei I will lend you my copy.[/quote]

Some good stuff on there, but you can’t apparently download the shorts, which is a show-stopper locally.

the lord of the flies

youtube
Lord Of The Flies - William Golding - FULL MOVIE

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]the lord of the flies

youtube
Lord Of The Flies - William Golding - FULL MOVIE[/quote]

Yeh. I did that for English H - Grade.

Its great…BUT

I think its too long, and IIRC its in Black and White.

Sadly, Taiwanese students (perhaps most not-old adults in any culture, and certainly my GF) simply won’t watch a black and white film.

“Too OLD!”

I found many of the film-english lessons to be too focused on life lessons and not enough on enjoyable listening practice. I liked their Serial Taxi link and the kids loved it.

Other videos although some might be from film-english also
Keith Reynolds can’t make it tonight - one of the favorites
Validation - short film
Brain Divided
850 meters - younger kids
Stephen Wiltshire - lesson through film-english

We also watched National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation for our Christmas party. I have watched other short films or will watch others but I can’t think of any other names off the top of my head.

I recall the time many years ago when I walked in to a classroom and found the Taiwanese teacher had slapped on a video because she wanted to sneak out and run some errands (telling the students to pay attention because there would be a test).

She had picked a video (without watching it first ) because it was about high school life in America: “Dazed and Confused”.

We had interesting conversation that lesson.

Johnny English Reborn. Don’t show the first Johnny English.