Good young people in Taiwan

After a good breakfast of Shakshouka at Wow Aussie cafe in Taitung was waiting for the shuttle bus back to the train station (after a overnight train from Taipei). Anyways a car stops quickly in front of me, young boy like 20 runs out of the car to bike where old man fell down (at first I thought a car hit him, but he just fell down). The young guy and female friend helped him up (elder guy does not walk well), make sure he was ok and within a few minutes he off on his way. All this within 2-3 minutes. Just wanted to share this nice story from my day stopover in Taitung (I will wrote more on the cafe later with photos great food from Brit/Aussie guy. So much negative news wanted write something good.

27 Likes

I heard lots of people here dont help due to a lack of good Samaritan law, meaning you could help someone and get blamed for causing the accident. China passed a good Samaritan law which is supposed to stop people dying because bystanders refused to help…

4 Likes

I lost my wallet (dropped it outside a store) with NT$16,000 in it (it was for Christmas shopping) and didn’t discover it was gone till I got home. A Taiwanese kid about 12 years old (living behind a hair salon with his single mom) found it and turned it in- every dollar intact.

22 Likes

Great to hear this ! It’s nice to be living here where theft seems to be going down a lot to the point it’s not a big worry and the young people seem the ones leading the change.

2 Likes

Did you let him keep some of that cash?

1 Like

10%

7 Likes

Walk the walk. Nice.

1 Like

Great ! I maybe would done NT$1,000

Looking back, it might have only been $1200, out of respect for local customs.

Yo, how you know she single? LOL!

Interesting. I did not that is a good number. (I just know the one bad number)

Back in 1999 it was 1200 nt/person as I remember

-tommy 525, followed by a bunch of posters calling him cheap :slight_smile:
For a while NT$1200 was the going rate for red envelopes for various functions. (This story happened a long time ago.)

1 Like

What’s the rate today ?
To attend a wedding ?

When I got married there were a couple of $600 outliers. Still going strong lol

1 Like