Google blocked in Beijing and Shanghai

Google.cn blocked in Beijing and Shanghai
I guess censorship isn’t good enough for their intellectual centers:
forbes.com/technology/feeds/ … 98050.html

How to hack Google.cn:
Chinese web users can see full, uncensored results for their Google search by replacing “&meta=” with “&meta=cr%3DcountryBR” in the URL. Once the string is replaced, the censorship will not affect the results.

Questions:
If the PRC takes Taiwan, does this mean that sensitive ‘national’ topics like Taiwan Independence will be blocked and censored? Will all references to a Taiwan Invasion be deleted in favor of “Taiwan Liberation”?

[quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]
Questions:
If the PRC takes Taiwan, does this mean that sensitive ‘national’ topics like Taiwan Independence will be blocked and censored? Will all references to a Taiwan Invasion be deleted in favor of “Taiwan Liberation”?[/quote]

Probably.

And Betelnut’s conspiracy theory will be the “official” version of what happened in March, 2003.

I think the Chinese government is taking quite a big risk maintaining their firewall/filter for so long. Ways to get around it are very plentiful. People will naturally put a premium on information that is banned officially. People will eventually start using Babelfish to translate the BBC site into Chinese, circumventing the Firewall in the process. When the secret police don’t come knocking, they will try something else.

Or maybe I am applying Western psychology on the wrong population. :wink:

Or more likely, many of the Chinese people will become stagnant, and become none the wiser. They have more things to worry about than getting around censorship, something they must have become used to.