Google Book Search is Up (Beta)

It’s up. They settled with the Author’s Guild and the Association of American Publishers on Oct 28. Do people know this? I didn’t and just found it by accident looking for something on the EPA in Taiwan. Suddeny I am reading text from a book. I see Google Book Search (Beta) at the top of the page. Hmm. Type in Goldstein Tibet and sure enough get the entire text to several of Prof Goldstein’s classics on modern Tibet.

Holy crap. I may never leave my apartment.

books.google.com/books?ei=nH0qSb … arch+Books

Beautiful, ain’t it?

Did you know about this? Why didn’t you share?

It’s been around and in the news for a long time. I thought everyone knew. :idunno:
Also, I keep posting interesting podcasts and whatnot, and so few people respond… got lazy I guess.

You also know about Project Gutenburg, right?
If you’re into Early Modern literature, and have access, EEBO is a treasure. (I’m hoping that Google Books will punch very large holes in a number of academic garden walls, like that around EEBO and virtually all of the scholarly journals.)
If you’re into audiobooks, or have higher level students, The Classic Tales podcast, together with e-texts of the books read, is an excellent resource.

[quote=“Jaboney”]It’s been around and in the news for a long time. I thought everyone knew. :idunno:
Also, I keep posting interesting podcasts and whatnot, and so few people respond… got lazy I guess.

You also know about Project Gutenburg, right?
If you’re into Early Modern literature, and have access, EEBO is a treasure. (I’m hoping that Google Books will punch very large holes in a number of academic garden walls, like that around EEBO and virtually all of the scholarly journals.)
If you’re into audiobooks, or have higher level students, The Classic Tales podcast, together with e-texts of the books read, is an excellent resource.[/quote]

Yes, yes, I know those but Google Books just signed a deal to overcome the copyright issue less than a month ago. This is NEW! Well, for me anyway.

Well, Google Books has been up for a while in advance of settling the lawsuit. They gambled on settling or winning the suit and plowed right ahead.

Kind of cheesed me off at the time because I dreamed up a similar idea as a business plan… and along they came and did it!