Google Browser Chrome (BETA) is out!

Download it here: google.com/chrome/

Using it now - looks great.

Is it good? I don’t really want to spend time trying it out until I’ve read a few reviews. IE8 already has the incognito mode and presumably there’s an add-on for Firefox that’ll do the same. Being able to run web apps more like desktop apps sounds good though. And it’s good that one tab can’t crash the whole browser - not that I do get many crashes though.

The headline on CNN was something like “Google battles Microsoft with free browser.” :unamused:
Did they mean free as in no cost? Just the same as IE (and Opera, Firefox, and a bunch of others) then.
Free as in open source? Mozilla and lots of others got there first. Crappy CNN journalism.

Yep… Zero dollars and open source…
Fast as you like and looks great… At last people will stop ragging me for using IE… :notworthy:

[quote=“plasmatron”]Yep… Zero dollars and open source…[/quote]Yeah, but you see what I mean about the crappy headline, right? “Google to battle Microsoft with free browser” implies to me that the writers think open source browsers are something new, or that IE isn’t free of charge.

The idea is that Chrome will do web-browsing and run applications, thereby threatening MS. Some go as far as to call it Google’s operating system.

IE8 beta sucks according to a test of a German computer magazine, Opera, Firefox and even IE7 are faster.

The idea is that Chrome will do web-browsing and run applications, thereby threatening MS. Some go as far as to call it Google’s operating system.[/quote]Right. So do you think “free browser” captures the essence of that? Or could the CNN headline writers have come up with something better?

Anyway, it’s not important really. Just my pedantry.

WMP plug-in doesn’t work with Chrome … it just sits there when opened but doesn’t start playing …

Some German news sources phrase it in a similar manner. It might sound exaggarated at this time but then Chrome is still in the early stages and we all know that Google is very ambitious (also consider their Android OS for mobile devices) and might actually pull this off. Maybe not kick MS off the top position but perhaps gain a significant market share. Might take many years though …

I downloaded it and took it for a quick test spin.

Two things came to mind:

I like Firefox add-ons a lot. For example, I have the time in 3 parts of the globe and local weather across the bottom. It didn’t seem like Chrome had a similar feature.

Second, I don’t think I like it when you open a new tab in Chrome, it shows web sites you frequently visit. Maybe I don’t want someone looking over my shoulder to see them!

thanks for the heads up Craig. I just dl the Time Clock, and it’s very handy for my job.

Check the settings, you can disable that screen with the most visited pages, you can use a blank page or use a home page as the one you start with.
It seems to be a really fast and very stable browser for a beta, although it doesn’t render all web pages perfectly as yet.
Compared to IE8 beta, it’s super stable, I’m having IE8 crashing all over the place, sometimes just clicking on the icon makes it crash… :s

Chrome is incredibly fast! I’m really happy about the competition to boost javascript performance. I can dust off a few ideas I’d shelved because they would have been too heavy before.

Unfortunately we still have to develop for Firefox at best for a while at least, but Chrome is encouraging for the future.

the work computer is Chinese windows, so Chrome just installed itself in Chinese too. Where do I go to change the language settings?

[quote=“Brendon”]
Unfortunately we still have to develop for Firefox at best for a while at least, but Chrome is encouraging for the future.[/quote]
That’s perfectly fine. Mozilla and Apple are racing to improve their javascript performance, as always it’s Microsoft that is the problem. Apparently IE8 is even heavier than ever! I’m not touching it until they actually release it though, no more Microsoft betas for me.

Can’t get it. When I click on “download now” it takes me back to an email signup page.

I’ve still been testing it out, and while it does seem to load some pages faster, it will cause my computer to freeze-up momentarily.

My guess would be that once it has decided you want to read Chinese then you’re shit out of luck. My experience of other Google offerings has been that they “make life easy for you” by deciding for themselves that you want to use one or other language, without asking your actual opinion, and then relieve you of the tiresome complication of being able to change it again.

Click on the spanner, options (fourth menu from the bottom), and of the three options you see on the second tab, the bottom one is language settings and then the second tab to add whatever you need.