Google Chromecast

Does anyone know if this gadget is available in Taiwan? I have seen it on the yahoo shopping site, but it can be scammers since it is very new. Has anyone seen it in the “flesh”?

It’s sold out pretty much everywhere in the US so I doubt they would have them available in Taiwan yet. I got mine last Friday and it is awesome.

It seems like Amazon is now selling Chromecast outside of the US but cutting back on warranties.

I’ve got one… but it’s brought back by coworkers. I’m very impressed with the thing, but I’m looking for ways to cast from firefox and my native video players.

i had an issue with not being able to install the chromecast Android app to configure the device:

play.google.com/store/apps/deta … .app&hl=en

It says the app isn’t available outsite of the US.

However, there is a URL address called cast.google.com/chromecast/setup?cp=manualsetup

it allows users to configure the device using a browser (i did it with my new padfone infinity).

there are other ways of installing the chromecast android app, but if all it does is to setup the device to your own wireless router, then I’d rather just use the browser method.

You are probably better off with one of the “wireless HDMI dongles” which supports DLNA and/or better MIRACAST if you are just wanting to play local media files rather than stream from the net. There are not too many apps which support the chromecast, and local media playback is cumbersome at the moment.

I have a WD TV live, an iPush HDMI dongle, chromecast, and Apple TV. Neither is ideal for all things.

Of the devices I have I think WD TV live is one of the best if it is local media you have pre-downloaded, as you can attach a HDD and just play media directly from it or DLNA media to it. I even have a Samsung DLNA DVD player and so can watch DVD’s too.

The iPush dongle (mine is only DLNA & Airplay) is great for playing media from a PC, laptop, mobile (or the Samsung DLNA DVD player). So great if your PC is going to be your media server. The chromecast excels for stuff like netflix and youtube which are 2 of the 4 apps it supports. Have an iPush Plus on the way which supports Miracast too… so you can cast your mobile screen onto your TV. But Miracast is not as well supported yet, so you need an android phone newer than 4.2

[quote=“hansioux”]It seems like Amazon is now selling Chromecast outside of the US but cutting back on warranties.

I’ve got one… but it’s brought back by coworkers. I’m very impressed with the thing, but I’m looking for ways to cast from firefox and my native video players.[/quote]

While it is not designed to work as a receiving device if you install Google Chrome and the Google Cast extension on your Mac or PC anything that can playback in your browser can be cast to the chromecast.

[quote=“nivek”]
While it is not designed to work as a receiving device if you install Google Chrome and the Google Cast extension on your Mac or PC anything that can playback in your browser can be cast to the chromecast.[/quote]

yup, I’ve been watching my local media that way. Miracast sounds pretty good, my new Padfone Infinity supports it but I would have to get something to support it.

Hello

I would like to pick up this thread again.

Does anyone know if there is a reseller where you can get the chromecast from in Taiwan?

Regards
Florian

there’s a seller on PChomes
pcstore.com.tw/bonjoie/M14840197.htm

and more do it for less on Ruten
search.ruten.com.tw/search/s000. … chromecast

Thanks for those links. I’d prefer to not buy online, but it’s good to see the price ranges. Has anyone seen these in stores around Taipei, preferably Guanghua?

Update: I managed to get one through a friend who bought one in the States. I love it! I primarily use it with Plex, but I’m surprised how much I also use it to cast Youtube. Get one!

now Chromecast is available in Taiwan via CHT. Also, since the release of the Chromecast SDK, there seems to have been an explosion in chromeecast apps.

My favorite, and the most creative one is Ubisoft’s Just Dance Now.

play.google.com/store/apps/deta … ance&hl=en

It allows users to cast the game onto your TV (using Chromecast and other smart TV protocols I think), and the play can dance while holding their cellphone as a Wii-mote type of sensor. If you’ve played Rayman Raving Rabbids on any gaming platform, you’d probably have seen Ubisoft’s dancing mini game. It’s exactly like that, but all you need is your cellphone (and chromecast).

You can even do multi-player dance offs.

It’s fun and silly and my dancing scares the crap out of my cat.

What exactly is Chromecast? The news (fox) did a piece that leads me to believe that it is a going to be a source for programming with the possibility to rival net flix?
Is it a content provider? What content is available ( in Taiwan) ? Could I ditch MOD or Cable TV

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]What exactly is Chromecast? The news (fox) did a piece that leads me to believe that it is a going to be a source for programming with the possibility to rival net flix?
Is it a content provider? What content is available ( in Taiwan) ? Could I ditch MOD or Cable TV[/quote]

You can watch Youtube on your TV and other internet content, depending on the IP rights there could appear some original Channels, CNN or others. It’s different in every country. You can stream and view content from your tablet or phone to your TV.

These things are very hard to get hold of. :cry: As far as I can see there are only two places where they can be bought in Taiwan - Chunghua and PC Home.

PC Home are always out of stock and Chunghua say that you must have a mobile phone account with them - a landline, internet and MOD package that costs over NT$1000 per month is not enough. :raspberry:

[quote=“Milkybar_Kid”]These things are very hard to get hold of. :cry: As far as I can see there are only two places where they can be bought in Taiwan - Chunghua and PC Home.

PC Home are always out of stock and Chunghua say that you must have a mobile phone account with them - a landline, internet and MOD package that costs over NT$1000 per month is not enough. :raspberry:[/quote]

Ok we have two mobile phone accounts. One basic and one with some added perks, free calling to certain phone numbers. Assuming I meet the requirements. How much it that box. Is there an additional service charge. I already give them too much money.

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”][quote=“Milkybar_Kid”]These things are very hard to get hold of. :cry: As far as I can see there are only two places where they can be bought in Taiwan - Chunghua and PC Home.

PC Home are always out of stock and Chunghua say that you must have a mobile phone account with them - a landline, internet and MOD package that costs over NT$1000 per month is not enough. :raspberry:[/quote]

Ok we have two mobile phone accounts. One basic and one with some added perks, free calling to certain phone numbers. Assuming I meet the requirements. How much it that box. Is there an additional service charge. I already give them too much money.[/quote]

The device costs NT$1390. There are no additional service charges for using the device. When I went to a Chunghua store to ask about the Chromecast they said that you must have a mobile phone contract with them. A landline/ internet/ MOD account will not work. At least that’s what the store in front of the Kaohsiung Arena told me :s

I still haven’t bought one. :frowning:

In case this is still of interest. Looks like 1390 NT.
google.com.tw/chromecast/
I got one from the US but set up here in Taiwan.
Works well but have to get used to leaving it on all the time.

I saw the Chromecast being sold at the new electronics mall SynTrend next to the Guanghwa Digital Market near Zhongxiao Xinsheng mrt. The store name is New Trend inside of the SynTrend mall on the first floor 1F.

Thank you for that information!

[quote=“hansioux”]now Chromecast is available in Taiwan via CHT. Also, since the release of the Chromecast SDK, there seems to have been an explosion in chromeecast apps.

My favorite, and the most creative one is Ubisoft’s Just Dance Now.

play.google.com/store/apps/deta … ance&hl=en

It allows users to cast the game onto your TV (using Chromecast and other smart TV protocols I think), and the play can dance while holding their cellphone as a Wii-mote type of sensor. If you’ve played Rayman Raving Rabbids on any gaming platform, you’d probably have seen Ubisoft’s dancing mini game. It’s exactly like that, but all you need is your cellphone (and chromecast).

You can even do multi-player dance offs.

It’s fun and silly and my dancing scares the crap out of my cat.[/quote]

Has your dancing improved or is the cat still scared?