Google Chromecast

Netflix has been officially released! Yay! Chromecast is no longer blocked.

And you can chromecast directly from Google chrome to Chromecast, with a simple tweak.

Where did you pick up the Chromecast 2? I’ve only seen grey imports on Ruten.

Yahoo taiwan. Gray Market.
https://tw.search.bid.yahoo.com/search/auction/product;_ylt=AnoTlATroraFl66H4uzBYFv3_rF8?ei=UTF-8&p=chromecast+2
Paid $1600 so only a couple hundred NT more than the official first gen that they are selling now.

[quote=“kaikai34”]Yahoo taiwan. Gray Market.
https://tw.search.bid.yahoo.com/search/auction/product;_ylt=AnoTlATroraFl66H4uzBYFv3_rF8?ei=UTF-8&p=chromecast+2
Paid $1600 so only a couple hundred NT more than the official first gen that they are selling now.[/quote]

OK, cheers, guess I’ll get a grey one online too.

Finally got one. No brainer, I probably waited too long. Works like a charm.

Was shopping for the latest one tonight at Ximenting. Not really surprised that 3 shops didn’t even know it. The have Miracast but aren’t even aware of Chromecast.

Taiwan is so cut off from the rest of the world even at street level shops looking for variety.

I introduced my family to Chromecast and they really love it. We all have Android phones. It is used daily to stream YouTube and Chinese series from DailyMotion.
Recently the new VLC app was released and now you can stream video files from the devices. Before they were casting the display which was not always optimal.
And our new TV supports CEC. Now I can turn the TV on and off without the remote just by telling Google Assistant to do so.

I ordered my Chromecast Ultra from one of the re-sellers (shopee). I bought Ultra so I can hook it up through Ethernet cable, no more annoying buffering. :grinning:

And of course 4K content is awesome but is still scarce on YouTube.

1 Like

I have a Xiaomi box and you can Chromecast from that

I also got a TV box from my cable provider, and it has Chromecast on it. It has some issues though, so I still have my old v1 Chromecast attached to my TV.

For starters, the TV box Chromecast has trouble playing 4K videos of certain encoding. Some of my mkv files are in that format, and it sucks that I can play it through PLEX. Casting the same videos to my old Chromecast however works like a charm.

Also, I can’t tell the chromecast on my TV box to display my google photos while idle.

Finally, a few weeks ago, an update to the TV box apparently has it automatically run Google Play movie ads whenever a cast has ended… I refuse to be force subjected to another horror movie trailer in my own house.

I am in love with my Xiaomi box anyway. Absolutely brilliant purchase

What dat?

Xiaomi TV box. Just an Android box but good value for money. Netflix, Youtube etc

Where can you buy a Chromecast now? I’ve been to four 3C type stores duh nothing.

Syntrend? Which shop?

Found at Guanghua Electronics market 3rd floor. Only one shop has it. None in Syntrend. NT$1400. Must be unwelcome in Taiwan.

20180811_150014

I got a fake Chromecast a few months ago from Guanghua for like 500NT, it worked fine for YouTube, but when streaming Netflix the video would go black and only the audio would work. Apparently, the device didn’t have the correct permissions to stream Netflix, so it just went black.

Took it back and got a refund.

Google chromecast can be purchased online through pchome for a little less than $1500.

Plugged into Sony TV. Updated itself, works fine with the casting apps from phone. Videos and pictures take on a whole new quality on TV.

Micast: I have a Micast on Samsung TV. Works similar to but it mirrors the phone (or computer) screen.

Really loving my Chromecast lately. Casting anything and everything to TV.

Music, music videos, movies, TV, everything from phones, including mirroring phone screen if I want.

My phones have now become my primary media and music hubs and I throw everything from the phone.

Also great when traveling I have everything already on my phones so I just cast to the TV in the hotel if it’s compatible.

2 Likes

I’ve been carrying my Chromecast traveling for years. Watch everything cast from phone to hotel TV.