Google Data Centers in Taiwan

Google is building a new data center in the Changhua Coastal Industrial Park in Changhua City, Changhua County.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120330PB201.html
I admit that I had to look it up where Changhua is located.
But hopefully, this means more Google services in Taiwan! :bravo:

1 Like

another-one

2 Likes

Good for Taiwan. But data centers don’t really employ large number of people do they?

About 200, more or less, not quantity but quality:

Through the presence of its data center, Google said, the company has come up with a Data Center Community Grant Program to lend support for community development around the center.

Since 2015, Google said, it has given US$430,000 in grants to more than 40 public schools and non-profit organizations, as well as more than 50 community development projects.

The grants are aimed at helping these communities’ with STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) education and narrow the gap in urban and rural development, Google said.

With its investments in Taiwan on the rise, Google said, the company has created more and more jobs for the youth of the country.

Starting from 2018, Google said, it has launched an intern program and several of these interns are now on the payroll of the center, adding that the company has decided to expand the intern program.

Google said it will keep up the pace of its expansion in Taiwan.

Not really. Mostly some engineers to look after the cooling system and replacing blades in racks.
Most other stuff is done remotely.

But it is initially a boost to local economy. They need to build and they also invest in renewable energy and fund local educational projects.

giphy

tenor

1 Like

As far as I know, this is Google’s largest data center in Asia.

It’s probably going to take a good chunk of that wind power.

Changhua is cool enough.

index

3 Likes

They also held a fake smile competition at the above “Google for Taiwan” press event too by the look of it.

Again, how do I get a job there?

1 Like

Google work culture, i.e build a self contained campus so our workers can all but live there in slavery, combined with Taiwan work culture, wonder how that ends up panning out?

Since Google’s actual and planned data centers are no longer in Changhua alone, I’ve modified the title of the thread.

Guy

Smart companies build data centers up in the cold north, less power needed for cooling servers.