Google flops

100 drivers get led astray by Google Maps

Yep, Google Maps is sometimes not so reliable…

I’ve had it tell me to go on a nonexistent road before.

2 Likes

It’s easy to criticize Google Maps, but I’d be… heh… lost … without it. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I wish they would hurry up and add the speed cameras. I prefer Google Nav, but Garmin it is until they get the speed cameras.

I started using Waze recently. Waze has the cameras, police checkpoints, etc.

1 Like

You know that Waze uses same database as Google Maps, no?

They use separate databases. Waze database is mostly community maintained.

Community input on Waze.

I didn’t get a nice turn by turn view on Waze but I didn’t actually drive. When you start driving dies the view change?

Edit… Putting it in 3D view is better. Auto is probably fine once you start driving.

Can you run Waze in the background of Google Nav to get speed cameras alarms?

It says Waze only alerts for speed cameras if speed is excessive. If true, any way to always get alerts.

I’ve started running both Google Maps and Waze at the same time.

They both give directions verbally in the background but waze gives more information like speed trap ahead, traffic accident ahead, and more detailed information.

Yeah my Waze only mentions speed cameras if I’m close to the speed limit or above. can probably change the settings.

It navigated me through downtown Manila a few times way better than Google.

Now I’m trying to see how well it works in Taiwan.

1 Like

Yep, in Japan it directed me to go the wrong way down a one-way street. I can only assume that the street’s one-way limitation was a very recent change. I wonder how long it takes for Google Maps to sync with changes like this :thinking:

I heard somewhere that Google Maps uses real time reports from Waze to get traffic and accidents information. :idunno:

That’s accurate. Traffic and other reports can be used in Google Maps.
We were talking about the actual map data, like streets and intersections.

I tried to today. It’s ok, but there really needs to be an option to alert you to speed cameras no matter how fast you are driving.

And the navigation window doesn’t show suggested lanes. The directions seem to come slower than Google Nav too.

I just want speed traps on the regular Google Nav damnit.

Due to low userbase in Taiwan some streets are missing in rural areas. Major cities are fine. Everyone can edit and add streets similar to Wikipedia in Waze.

Google owns Waze!

" Google bought Waze for $966 million in June 2013 to add social data to its mapping business. Waze’s 100 employees received about $1.2 million on average, the largest payout to employees in Israeli high tech."

1 Like

Didn’t we already discuss this fact above?

But what led people into the wrong path was the traffic information, no?

A private dirt road was wrongfully labeled as a public road.
Google Maps diverted people there because there was an accident on the highway and no other better way around it.
The private road wouldn’t be used for routes if it was labeled as such.

Here’s the original news article which I posted in the Idiots thread.

1 Like