Google help: can I search a specific set of domains?

Often I’ll remember I read a story about something, but I won’t remember where I read it. I’ll be fairly sure it’s from one of the sites I frequent or subscribe to - Slate, Economist, etc. Is there a way to do a Google search for a defined set of web domains?

I know I can use, for example, site:forumosa.com to search just forumosa.com (and that was far better than the less-than-friendly search button on the old site). But that’s just for one domain. Can I somehow arrange a set of domains / websites that I can repeatedly use?

Thanks!

You just need to put this in your search:

site:www.forumosa.com

or

site:www.blahblahblah.com

Whatever the site is. No space for best results.

1 Like

I just found a couple of sites that claim that the Boolean operator OR works in Google.

And that seems to work with what you’re trying to do (if I understand you correctly), when combined with the site: operator that @gaboman recommended. I’m gonna try to use LMGTFY (Let Me Google That For You) to show you what I mean, but I’m not using it to be snarky:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aslate.com+OR+site%3Aeconomist.com+OR+site%3Atime.com+"federico+garcia+lorca"

Hey, now, I do believe I learned something today. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks! That suits me just fine. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to bookmark that as a setting, but at least I can just keep the long string somewhere to cut and paste it over into Google.

(I was trying a list of the domains in Google’s advanced search section - I tried using commas to separate domains, tried just spaces. It should have occurred to me to try “OR”.)

1 Like

Thanks gaboman: I do know about that function; my question was more if I can search several domains at the same time, rather than just one.

For what it’s worth, somewhere in Advanced Search in Google I did see an option to search only pages that I’ve visited. But for me at least, that’s not particularly useful since so much of my reading is done on other devices and within apps.

I briefly thought of Advanced Search when I first looked at your post, but I didn’t think of it in terms of the OR operator. Yeah, that looks like a good idea.

Thanks for the tip!