Google Maps now has Street View in Taiwan

Subject line says it all. Stop reading this post and start combing GMaps for hilarious Street View moments or just your favourite stomping grounds.

google-latlong.blogspot.com/2009 … agery.html
maps.google.com/

Edit: In front of 101

Great stuff.

Does this mean that they’ve also updated all the maps that are miss-aligned/wrong?

Is it all of Taipei or only bits? The 101 street view in the link above works, but for most other parts there only seems to be the overhead view. Or am I doing something wrong?

Zoom out a little bit to the whole map. Then click (and hold) the little street view icon “man”.
It will mark all areas on the map where street view works.

Seems like most of Taipei to me. But “small lanes” are missing. Nothing else in Taiwan is covered.
Did they blur out the bettle nut girls? :slight_smile:

Cool, thanks. Didn’t realize I had to hold the little man.

Very cool. I’ve been looking forward to this. My building in Zhonghe is shown on here, so it’s not just Taipei City. I’m guessing more streets will continue to be mapped in the future. There is one part of Yonghe that has incredible detail, even on the old small lanes. Maybe that’s a sign of more to come since the street view maps don’t seem to cover all areas equally.

I love how around the Zhongxiao-Fuxing area, you can go from dry weather to rainy weather by just moving a few meters down the road.

I haven’t seen anything too titillating just yet, but not surprisingly I did see a lot of illegally parked cars and scooters. Most license plates are blurred, but taxis and large trucks have the license plate numbers written on other parts of the vehicles.

And here I am… only in one frame, they must have used alternative runs for the rest of that street. I tried to get on camera for a whole mile or so going to work one day, following a Google car. I have been waiting for my immortal moment!

and in one other frame…

can anyone else see themselves?

Hey, they caught the half-naked indigenous guy that hangs out at Warner Village!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=taipei&ie=UTF8&ll=25.03586,121.566953&spn=0,359.998632&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=25.035863,121.566875&panoid=voFVDFKUJDM_aqLzlwxWEA&cbp=12,15.86,1,12.55

A lot of the pictures have those COWS that were on display in Taipei a few months ago… Makes the streets like quite funny when seeing funny painted cows standing on the sidewalk.

[quote=“urodacus”]And here I am… only in one frame, they must have used alternative runs for the rest of that street. I tried to get on camera for a whole mile or so going to work one day, following a Google car. I have been waiting for my immortal moment!

and in one other frame…

can anyone else see themselves?[/quote]

You’re quite yellow :wink:
I can not find myself :frowning:

Christmas time in Hsimenting…

maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= … .1,0,7.82

Wish it was summer time…

[quote=“tango42”]Christmas time in Ximending…

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=25.033564,121.610863&spn=0,359.977641&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=25.033662,121.610955&panoid=MhJNOQtKYOCG70CibPrMbw&cbp=12,212.14,2,1.95[/quote]
You must click on the “Link” button at Google Maps (upper right corner).
Your last two posts were ‘just’ urodacus :slight_smile:

People are protesting against it in Japan, the UK, Germany.

This will be quoted out of context sometime in the future.

Links corrected.

Here’s a google car self-portrait, in case you wondered what they look like.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=taipei&ie=UTF8&t=h&layer=c&cbll=25.018699,121.592566&panoid=-wMwHPdPCKUv7kO1esDZug&cbp=12,332.55,1,14.08&ll=25.018593,121.592463&spn=0.004618,0.006856&z=17

The one I saw was white, they must have more than one. Unlike urodacus, I hide behind a tree when I saw it.

[quote=“engerim”][quote]
can anyone else see themselves?[/quote]

You’re quite yellow :wink:
I can not find myself :frowning:[/quote]
I had hoped I’d see myself. I happened across a Google car when I was coming out of the Sun Yat-Sen memorial Hall MRT Station (where Capone’s is). I was wearing a bright red shirt at the time. But I don’t see myself there. :frowning:

EDIT: It was a winter day, so I may have been wearing my jacket at the time. In which case, I would be the one standing at the bottom of the steps at the entrance to the MRT station:

Here.

At that time I started pursuing the car trying, and failing, to photograph it with my uncooperative camera phone. In the images seen as the car goes down the street, you can see the same person standing by the median strip…that’s where I was at the time. So that may well be me!

EDIT 2: However, when I zoom in, his hair looks black, and he seems to be carrying a briefcase. Maybe it’s not me, after all… :frowning:

Found some betel nut girls now. But can’t make out if they’re hotties:
台15線, Bali Township
maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= … .36,1,4.1

Oh… and it seems Damshui, etc is in it too.