Google Maps now has Street View in Taiwan

Amazing quality though I can’t find any binlang booths following engerim’s post.
Though, I would easily recognize certain people as Google’s blurring occasionally is non-efficient.
They do hide license plates, but plenty of taxi’s still have their recognition points.

Guess Taiwanese won’t complaint about privacy infraction as most streets and alleys have camera’s anyway here.

Chris and I saw the Google car in Donggang, Pingdong County yesterday, of all places, so it would seem it is going to be covering all of Taiwan. We of course tried as hard as we could to get into the path of the camera.

Are they fucked-up? Cruising around in probably still devastated area’s in the south?? That isn’t good :no-no:
Smells like sensation whores to me. Besides, they going to stop and detour when hitting one of the 21 collapsed or damaged bridges? :ponder:

Are they fucked-up? Cruising around in probably still devastated area’s in the south?? That isn’t good :no-no:
Smells like sensation whores to me. Besides, they going to stop and detour when hitting one of the 21 collapsed or damaged bridges? :ponder:[/quote]
There’s definitely need to update it from time to time (once a year)?
Right now they do a pretty bad job with this. The satellite maps they have on Taiwan are hopelessly outdated.
I moved here 5 years ago and there was a parking lot being constructed in front of the building at that time.
Google Maps in Satellite view shows some small houses with illegal constructions there which aren’t there anymore since at least 6 years. Only half of Zhubei is on the map (which is growing fast). The HSR stations are still in early construction stage.
Well… still better than the crap maps of other service providers.
Looks like Zhubei was bombed :slight_smile:
maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= … 9&t=h&z=16

Are this Taiwan Secret Service agents (note the baseball caps) trying to stop the Google car making photos?:
maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= … .64,0,8.2
maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= … 17&iwloc=A

That’s the point , in which they will fail due to lack of budget’s…
These street views will last for 5 years at least… but getting maps right (direction of traffic + correct Sat images) would already be better than finding each 7/11 or Starbuck’s listed.

Well, it might be that my Cy might do some Geomapping, and considers different options -as this one

Google will take pictures of every inch of every road, street, and lane in Taipei … but they can’t be bothered to spell them properly. :s

except the lane I live on.

[quote=“engerim”]
Are this Taiwan Secret Service agents (note the baseball caps) trying to stop the Google car making photos?:[/quote]
Those are Military Police.

I wonder if they plan on doing Taichung as well? They’d have to let the Mayor know well in advance so he could get the police force to do their job for a few days or else we can expect to see some extreme roadside images from the 'chung.

\o/ I’m gunna be famous! I stumbled across the Google car! (Think it was a Nissan Tiida, dark blue, with like a huge tripod thing stuck on top). I followed it a little, so here’s to hoping it got my sexy arse (on my hornet) in the pictures :pray: :roflmao: In Taichung, that is.

If you followed it, it sure as hell won’t have your ‘arse’ in view…it’ll be a mug shot. I can’t wait to start a ‘find the most f*cked up thing on google earth street view Taichung’ thread…sure to get some classics.

If you followed it, it sure as hell won’t have your ‘arse’ in view…it’ll be a mug shot. I can’t wait to start a ‘find the most f*cked up thing on google earth street view Taichung’ thread…sure to get some classics.[/quote]

hehe, well my face is sexier than my arse :liar:, so it’s all good :stuck_out_tongue: though admittedly a full face helmet,so much not view there. Just hope the pot belly isn’t all that noticable. :roflmao:

They blur out faces, so your arse and pot belly will be the only things visible.

Illegal editing of an image of me! Nooooo! I will sue them! (j/k, though wonder if that’s possible)

besides… we can have a ‘find x08’ game thread :stuck_out_tongue: see who can find me first (won’t tell you where in Taichung it was)

According to this:
maps.google.com/intl/en_us/help/ … -view.html

They are now busy driving in:
Changhua, Lugang, Hsinchu, Hualien, Kaohsiung, Pingtung, Taichung, Tainan, Keelung, Sanchong, Taipei, Taitung Taoyuan, Yilan

Google maps has again been updated online.
Much more detail on the shape of buildings. Check it out. Combine with streetview, it almost makes a perfect 3D model

More scary to see is that drew the MRT Xin Zhuang line almost under our appartment (corner of Xinyi & Xinsheng)
If that is the correct track, I am planning to move. The soil composition near DaAn has a not favorable reputation I was told. (the only reason why they keep the park goes the rumour)

[quote=“ceevee369”]
More scary to see is that drew the MRT Xin Zhuang line almost under our appartment (corner of Xinyi & Xinsheng)
If that is the correct track, I am planning to move. The soil composition near Da’an has a not favorable reputation I was told. (the only reason why they keep the park goes the rumour)[/quote]
What I don’t understand is how the MRT line will make a 90 degree turn. Surely it will make a smooth rounded turn instead of a perpendicular one, thus affecting all the buildings that it runs underneath of. I wouldn’t be surprised if you start feeling vibration once the trains begin to run.

I’ve heard that the entire Xinyi Rd lies directly over a fault line. But it’s probably the same rumor. :neutral:

I was using google maps and tring to look at the grand hotel, and I found myself AT NIGHT. I just “changed lanes” and could see again. Why did they go down all the main streets 4 times?

[quote=“engerim”]According to this:

Changhua, Lugang, Hsinchu, Hualian, Kaohsiung, Pingdong, Taichung, Tainan, Keelung (Jilong), Sanchong, Taipei, Taidong Taoyuan, Yilan[/quote]

They should get busy retrofitting some of the small blue trucks and start driving down some alleys. I wanna see my apartment front door!

[quote=“kuoocc”][quote=“engerim”]According to this:

Changhua, Lugang, Hsinchu, Hualian, Kaohsiung, Pingdong, Taichung, Tainan, Keelung (Jilong) (Jilong), Sanchong, Taipei, Taidong Taoyuan, Yilan[/quote]

They should get busy retrofitting some of the small blue trucks and start driving down some alleys. I wanna see my apartment front door![/quote]

Bump, now much more of the West Coast and East Coast is covered (not just Taipei), also the Cross-island highway.
Lugang is worth a visit.

Here is a view of Hsinchu :laughing:

flickr.com/photos/mrtang/4305376302

Welcome to rural Taiwan. :slight_smile: The east coast views look really nice, so does part of the central mountain range.
In many areas only main roads though. So stuff like Sansiantai (三仙台) is missing :frowning: