Google pulls Android license from Huawei

Thanks I’m sure , hehe.

Huawei is a big seller in China. The promise of all those consumers that was touted to western industries was a load of crap to begin with.
https://www.counterpointresearch.com/us-market-smartphone-share/
Mobile Vendor Market Share Canada | StatCounter Global Stats
Mobile Vendor Market Share Mexico | StatCounter Global Stats
Mobile Vendor Market Share Europe | StatCounter Global Stats

1 Like

great news. finally some action is being taken. china has gotten way too arrogant. needs to be taken down a peg… but its unlikely. at least i hope some other country’s can benefit from this. china will most likely just continue to get worse.

1 Like

Taiwan semiconductor and telecom manufacturing could rocket. Let’s see what happens.

For TSMC, could be a zero-sum effect.
Huawei is its client, so if TSMC has to dump HW, then maybe dumped orders could comre back thru regained mkt share of US firms. Hard to say now.

TSMC is a Taiwanese company, I don’t think it can be prohibited. Other local players could grow business as well.
Anyway, agree, there are a lot of potential scenarios.
I hope both foreign and domestic players ramp up operations in Taiwan.

Good news and bad. Good that in the short term Huawei is going to make less profit due to being unable to sell new phones in the west, but long term potentially bad because they will release their own alternative rather than go with AOSP. And due to the lower pricepoint they will sell. Yay more CCP soft power.

1 Like

As if anyone will use the Chinese OS outside of China. Good luck with that

2 Likes

If they flood the market with high quality 200$ phones that have android app compatibility layer then I can see it happening.

Compatibility layer ?
Seems a bit far fetched…

You can already buy dirt cheap phones.

1 Like

Not really

It supports the application framework Qt (version 4.8) and in some later models features an Android runtime to run Android applications.

Blackberry still sells phones ?
:grin:

Is that Android layer any better than just using AOSP? Honest question.

If their goal is to lure people away from Android and other western software in the long term, yes. Also makes it trivial to embed spyware in the kernel because technically linux changes have to be available in source form thanks to gpl.

I can see lots of clueless people/KMT fans using it because it comes with a cheap phone.

Well Facebook and Twitter wont be making specific Huawei versions because worries of government reprisal.

Some of the manufacturing technology used by TSMC is licensed back to US companies and they signed contracts which can limit who the end customers for products manufactured using that technology are, Huawei is now one of them.

I am curious as to how the US Govt. will police Taiwan as so many companies here have close ties with China . Could be a great opportunity for a boost …another thing to bear in mind , is that if TSMC and other Taiwanese companies become a vital supplier to the US…China invading/threatening Taiwan would not go down well at all. . Lots to consider
Is Taiwan totally exempted from the Tariffs?