GoogleEarth for MAC!

Ah…I love to be the bearer of glad tidings, especially when there are a swag of Mac users in here.

googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/01/ … c-too.html

Welcome to the best free software on the web. Enjoy.

Truant, you rule! :notworthy:
I’m gonna be up all night…

Found my place in Taiwan within 30 seconds of opening. Scary stuff. A Mac users wet dream this. Cheers. wetdreamLimey :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, this ones cool…been using it for awhile…perhaps I should have told y’alll :blush:

The PC version has been out for some time. This is day 3 for the MAC version according to the link.

I am totally addicted. Try right clicking and adding a placemark. Then start finding all the places you have been and marking those.

The change the placemarks to differ colors for different things.

Notes, Attach pics, save the placemark files as .kmls…

Welcome to insomnia.

The PC version has been out for some time. This is day 3 for the MAC version according to the link.

I am totally addicted. Try right clicking and adding a placemark. Then start finding all the places you have been and marking those.

Welcome to insomnia.[/quote]

No, I was first turned on to it about four months ago…unless there are some big changes…I’ll check it out again.

Welcome to insomnia.[/quote]

No, I was first turned on to it about four months ago…unless there are some big changes…I’ll check it out again.[/quote]
there ya go Mac boys… One of your own has been holding out on you - was it a beta or something?

yes. It was leaked early and even made its way onto MacUpdate for a few days.

Careful with Google Earth…It is addictive to the extreme. :help:

Eh? Did someone just flush a huge piece of toilet paper in Ilan!

What is that thing? Looks like a cover up to me.

L.

:smiley:

Yeah, I have had it too for like 3-4 months. I thought everyone knew about it.

Oh I dunno then, I’m not a mac user but the following official Google Blog fooled me:

[quote][color=red]1/10/2006[/color] 12:49:00 PM
Posted by Chikai Ohazama, Google Earth Team

We feel like proud parents around here. Our eldest, Google Earth for the PC, is officially leaving beta status today, and we couldn’t be more pleased. For those of you who downloaded early, upgrade to the latest and discover Google Earth all over again.

And we have a [color=red]brand new[/color] member of the family – Google Earth for Macintosh. We’re happy to finally have some good news for the, ahem, vocal Mac enthusiasts we’ve been hearing from. Let’s just say that we have gotten more than a few “requests” for a Mac version of Google Earth. They’ve gone something like this:

1. “When is it coming out? Your website says that you are working on it.”

2. “You know, Mac users are very heavy graphics/mapping/visualization/design/ architecture/education/real estate/geocaching/social-geo-video-networking fans who would certainly use Google Earth a lot.”

3. “So when is it coming out?”

We heard you loud and clear. The Mac version runs on OS X 10.4 and up. Happy travels throughout Google Earth, whether you’re on a Mac or a PC.[/quote]

Confirming what Truant posted, the final Mac version was definitely released on 1/10. Maybe what was available for Mac before then was beta? I’m not always up on things, and didn’t know it was out for Mac until Truant’s wonderful heads-up. And I stayed up damn near all night. I found my house and my parents’ house and Taipei 101 and just about every place I ever lived and floated down Tunhua without any traffic and flew international without three plane changes and… Sorry, I’m kinda new at all this. :slight_smile:

smelly glove :wink: could you post the co-ordinates of Taipei 101 for me. I have had real trouble finding it. Cheers. L.

It’s easier to look for it’s shadow… :wink:

There she is in all her ugliness.

You’d think Google would get around to marking the tallest building on the planet, wouldn’t you?

L.

:smiley:

It’s easier to look for it’s shadow… :wink:[/quote]
That’s exactly how I found it. :smiley: The shadow looks like a frigging rocket, but of course the building looks all scrunched up. Coordinates I have are 02’00.83" N 121 degrees 33’53.86’ E
I know most of this is old hat to everyone, but maybe we could list some Google Earth coordinates for landmarks around Taiwan?

It’s easier to look for it’s shadow… :wink:[/quote]
That’s exactly how I found it. :smiley: The shadow looks like a frigging rocket, but of course the building looks all scrunched up. Coordinates I have are 02’00.83" N 121 degrees 33’53.86’ E
I know most of this is old hat to everyone, but maybe we could list some Google Earth coordinates for landmarks around Taiwan?[/quote]
I want to do better than that. I am planning on converting all the mosa maps I did to google placemarks into a single .kml download.

Actually if people want to start marking all the various places they want, I will put them all together and host the file for download.

If you want to help out send me a PM and I will let you know how to go about sending the placemark to me to be included.

EDIT: either that, or do as the glove suggested (post the co-ordinates here and I will collect them all together for a .kml file.

Have you seen the Google Earth community layers? Very interesting. How do you go about viewing a .kml file someone has made - auto open on the Mac will not let me select “Google Earth”

They have even mapped planes going into the airport.

Shame it won’t give me directions from and to places in Taiwan.

Man, call me anal, but this is the best thing since free po…oops said too much… :blush: