Gormless grammarian

So they are employing my worthless ass, but the kicker is that we are to have an induction discussion tomorrow at work. I want to present to you the dishes up for grabs and see if you have any points you’d like me to slide in to what is most likely to be a dull affair.

For discussion tomorrow…

1. Grammar is the most important basis upon which to teach the structure of a language and to build upon - the rest will fall into place.
  2. Learning vocabulary is more important that studying grammar.
  3. Having students complete grammar fill exercises is a waste of time.
  4. Students find drilling to be an embarrassing activity.
  5. Striving for perfect student pronunciation is a waste of time.
  6. Teachers should tell students where the stress patterns are in a word.
  7. Correcting errors undermines confidence.
  8. Teachers should never use language that a student will not understand.
  9. Teachers should never deviate from their leson plan.
  10. Learning an expression is better than learning individual words.

Well, some dumb old questions there boy howdy.

Oh Tom :cry:

It would be so much less pointless if the DOS just told you his views so you could implement those.

I have three hours of meetings to go to. Sniff. I could tell you want the DOS is getting at, if you want? When I get back.

Mr Hill, I fell strongly about most of those issues, but I’m drinking whisky at the moment, they all need serious debate, and it depends on who is interviewing you. Who are they, and what do they WANT to hear? I won’t befuddle you with my inanity, but I’m sure another poster shall. Good luck, mate!

[quote=“Buttercup”]Oh Tom :cry:

It would be so much less pointless if the DOS just told you his views so you could implement those.

I have three hours of meetings to go to. Sniff. I could tell you want the DOS is getting at, if you want? When I get back.[/quote]

He wants constant correction, less teacher interaction, and student specific language. And he also wants 10 pints and a good talking to.