Got a Samsung external dvd writer for netbook

Quick report on the Samsung SE-S084 external DVD writer for netbooks.

Got it online here for bout 60 bucks delivered to my door via next day air UPS.

It works real well after a whole afternoon of testing. It can read and write DVD or CD. STrangely enough it doesnt come with software to view a DVD though. And my Asus netbook doesnt come with that either.

Microsoft gave a few sites to purchase software for that purpose for bout 30 bucks. Forget that. Went online and got free software for that purpose. VLC media player. Works just fine.

Havent yet figured out how to copy a dvd to puter and burn a dvd. But seems it will not work on copywrited dvd as in movies you buy. But there should be some mechanism for playing a dvd and ripping it onto your netbook and then burning a dvd.

Will work on that. But made a cd on it today and the quality of the recording is excellent.

So far pleased with the purchase. What is weird tho is that it requires TWO USB slots instead of just one. Whats up with that?

And unusually, its made in the Phillippines, instead of China for a change. And I didnt know Toshiba was in bed with Samsung? Because its made by the Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology Corporation .

Add that $60 to whatever you paid for the netbook and you could have got that proper notebook with a bigger-usable screen, more RAM, larger hard drive, and a real CPU instead of the piece of shit, 15-year old, Atom, that “was too expensive” at the time.

Two USB ports - one for data and the other supplies the extra power the drive needs to operate.

[quote=“Rik”]Add that $60 to whatever you paid for the netbook and you could have got that proper notebook with a bigger-usable screen, more RAM, larger hard drive, and a real CPU instead of the piece of shit, 15-year old, Atom, that “was too expensive” at the time.

Two USB ports - one for data and the other supplies the extra power the drive needs to operate.[/quote]

I know dude, but you know? Had to get what the rage was all bout. Paid bout 420 dollars (if memory serves) for an ASUS netbook with NO built in cam, 1giga memory, win Xp, 160giga hdd, 10 inch. And now the same cept with atom and a cam built in goes for 260 plus tax or bout 290.

Then the bloody keyboard is too dang small. So what to do? I got a nice 17inch monitor (100) plus a regular keyboard (25) plus a wireless mouse (25) so I can use it at home in a nice way. Plus the 60 for the dvd writer so that makes it 420 plus 100 plus 25 plus 25 plus 60 or bout 630 bucks total !!

Well I did manage to take my puter to Taiwan , where i basically never used it . Haha.

Yeah 630 bucks could buy a nice Sony notebook with much better specs.

Well at least I can always say I can take my mini pute with me if and when needed (even tho i apparently dont need it outside the house).

oh well.

Tommy, Google “DVD shrink”.

Thanks, I will look into it.

By the way you can’t just digitally copy a DVD, because there are copy protections. You need a “ripper” in order to copy commercial DVD’s.

Sorry to say it, but you just wasted $20 newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6827151198

Not really…Tommy lives in the Bay Area, where the sales tax is like 9.75% in the East Bay and 9.50% in SF.
Plus NewEgg does not ship via Fedex Express Saver for their free shipping items anymore and UPS next day air is like a good $20 more in itself over the free shipping method.

Qty.	Product Description	Savings	Total Price

SAMSUNG USB 2.0 Slim External DVD Writer Model SE-S084C
Item #: N82E16827151198
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$39.99
Subtotal: $39.99
Tax: $3.30
Calculate Shipping
Zip Code: GO
Shipping: $20.21

Redeem Newegg Gift Cards
Card Number: Security Code: Apply
Apply Promo Codes: Enter up to 5 promo codes, Please note that stacking is not permitted.
Promo Code: Apply
(For Example:code1,code2,code3,code4,code5)
Promo Code: $0.00
Grand Total: $63.50
Having problems with your cart? Check FAQ for help or try emptying your cart

More then I paid :slight_smile:

burp