Got my car and motorcycle licence

If you have an ARC then there’s no reason why they wouldn’t let you take the test. The Shilin DMV is pretty good, they have the written test in English (done on a computer), and the course is right out back. Even the medical test (more like physical check) can be done in the same building unlike at other places. Just bring your ARC and passport and a few ID sized photos to the DMV. First thing you will need to do is get the physical check done. Then take that paperwork to the counter and pay the $600 (could be more or less) and go do your written test. If you pass then proceed to the back to do the road test (more like the U-shaped obstacle course). When I went they had a scooter for use, but I suggest you ride your own their. (Funny, most people ride their scooter there, even though they don’t have their license yet. Oh well, that’s Taiwan for you.) If you pass then their is a booth their where they will issue you a license on the spot. If you go with someone who has done it before then you should be in and out in about an hour. Goodluck!

Thanks man, I hope you’re right.
I’ll actually need to use their bike so I’d better get some of my Taiwanese friends call them to make sure.

Balazs, I agree with Kawasaki Rider that it should be fine.

[quote=“Balazs”]Firstly, he claimed that I am not allowed to drive a small scooter (<50cc) with my license, only cars. I guess that’s false but please correct me if I’m wrong.[/quote]IIRC the law was changed a year or two ago. It used to be that you could ride a 50 or under with a car license but now you can’t. So unless your IDP specifically includes two-wheelers then I think the guy was right.

Don’t worry about it though. The “big” scooter test is perfectly do-able. Just mug up on the questions and practice the slow straight-line thing.

And if you pass the written first time but fail the practical, you just have to re-take the practical (though you have to wait a week to do it).

I’ve heard that your ARC has to be valid for one year, i.e. have been issued for a full year period, such as Jany 5 2005 to Jan 4 2006, or else they won’t let you take the test. Someone I know was refused the test on these grounds. Mine is from Jan 22 to Jan 14, but the original Jan 22 was 3 years ago, and it’s been renewed each time on Jan 14. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on whether I’m ok or not to take the test?

Quirky has decided that seven years driving illegaly has got to stop, plus bussing has become annoying since the Bloomin’ BeeTV ads never change. We’ve resolved to get a driver’s license and a motorcycle license at the same time as has the author of this fine thread. Thank you, sir, for the 14-point walk-through above, if there was guanxi in my coffers, I’d be generous.
There are certain curiosities previously undiscussed:

[quote]IX. Carry driving license and registration at all times
Those without a license or car/motorbike registration while driving shall receive a fine of NT$300 to NT$600.[/quote]

on http://iff.npa.gov.tw/enfront/life.php?tr_id=13

But the test on http://www.tcmvd.gov.tw/English/j.idc indicates:

The correct answer on the auto test was NT$6000-12000 .

… and another curiosity. A True/False item on the test states:

Perhaps this should read: …if the driver violates a traffic rule that results in injury [to self?] or others.

Great post and great thread overall. I am planning to get my TW license this or next month. The written test questions online are easy and pretty straight forward, I think I got that covered. I am now wondering about any practise facilities for the “road” test. Is there some place you can try it out before you go to the DMV?

[quote=“ratlung”]Great post and great thread overall. I am planning to get my TW license this or next month. The written test questions online are easy and pretty straight forward, I think I got that covered. I am now wondering about any practise facilities for the “road” test. Is there some place you can try it out before you go to the DMV?[/quote]Car or motorbike? If car, then you’d be best off paying for some driving school time as they can help you with the precise procedure for the reverse “S”. (I believe you can also take the actual test at some driving schools, which is obviously an advantage).

If motorbike, check around the testing centre. There may well be a practice strip for the slow-speed straight line thing. That’s the most difficult part of the test anyway.

[quote=“joesax”]Car or motorbike? If car, then you’d be best off paying for some driving school time as they can help you with the precise procedure for the reverse “S”. (I believe you can also take the actual test at some driving schools, which is obviously an advantage).

If motorbike, check around the testing centre. There may well be a practice strip for the slow-speed straight line thing. That’s the most difficult part of the test anyway.[/quote]

I want to do both tests, and would like to try it out before I go in there. I think I can try the straight line thing on the road, but the car test I cannot. Overall it does not look too difficult and I don’t think I need a driving school instructor, just a public practise ground, of some sort, where you might pay a little to get in, and then just try it out yourself. Is there such a thing?

[quote=“ratlung”]…I don’t think I need a driving school instructor, just a public practise ground, of some sort, where you might pay a little to get in, and then just try it out yourself. Is there such a thing?[/quote]I don’t think so.

I haven’t taken the car test myself yet, but a number of people have said that it requires a specific procedure. You might be able to control a car pretty well but when it comes to the reverse “s” it is helpful to know that you line up this particular mark on the pavement there, turn the wheel two and a half times, etc.

I will certainly take some training before I do the car test, for this reason.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“ratlung”]…I don’t think I need a driving school instructor, just a public practise ground, of some sort, where you might pay a little to get in, and then just try it out yourself. Is there such a thing?[/quote]I don’t think so.

I haven’t taken the car test myself yet, but a number of people have said that it requires a specific procedure. You might be able to control a car pretty well but when it comes to the reverse “s” it is helpful to know that you line up this particular mark on the pavement there, turn the wheel two and a half times, etc.

I will certainly take some training before I do the car test, for this reason.[/quote]

I am not saying that I would be able to do pass the exam without some practise, I am not that confident or blind. But I don’t think I need an expensive instructor to tell me how to drive. This is nothing that one won’t be able to figure out himself. The only thing is, if there is nothing available to practise on your own, we are out of options, and probably have to pay the expensive fee. Another option is to draw some lines in the parking lot, but I don’t own blue prints of the testing facility. Maybe google earth can help. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The reverse S is definitely the most difficult part of the test. One of the most difficult aspects is that there are no obvious markers to go by as far as using your mirrors, as the gutter line is below your line of site. In real life you would no doubt have cars and other objects to guide you by but the test doesn’t offer this.

I just took a chance when I went for the test and I guess that I got lucky. It was only my second time driving while sittiing on the right hand side of the car, and my first time driving a manual car on while sitting on the right side. I had a bit of luck in that I got to sit in the car while another guy did the test so I got a bit of a preview of what was to come, but other than that I had no real practical knowledge of what the test involved.

One hint with taking the reverse S may be to feel free to stick your head out the window to gauge your distances. I doubt that I would ever do this in real life, but it is probably the only way of knowing where you are on the road for the test.

Finally, wouldn’t it be cheaper to go for the test and fail than to pay a driving instructor upfront and still possibly fail? I would say that you might be better off just going for it. You might just get lucky.

Thanks, for sharing your experience and advice. I can always repeat the test a second time, so I think I will just try and wing it. So I’d say I go for it…soon.

Dear fellow Forumosans…i am an Overseas chinese born in India and currently studying in Shida University and went for my scooter driving licence recently and was denied to give the written exam for the licence test because my ARC was issued last month only though i came here on Febuary this year…the only reason i went is because many students in Shida have a bike licence and they adviced i dont need to wait a year and can get a licence issued immediately once i have my ARC but the licence would be valid for 3 months only and be renewed on basis of my ARC from BaDe Road.
But the DMV in shilin said that i need to live in taiwan for a year from the time my ARC was issued. :raspberry:
Now my question is have the rules changed???it seems like it has…now if they meant i need to stay for a year in taiwan can i use my passport since i arrived here in febuary and dont mind waiting till febuary next year to give a test again.coz if it is related to my ARC then i would have to wait till october 2006 :noway:
Secondly is there anyway i can use my local driving licence from india which was issued to me on July last year and is for motorcycle with gear and above 50cc though i dont have an IDL as my friend told me i didnt need to bother to get one as it was easy to get a local one…soo can i use this licence anyway to get a 50cc licence atleast???that way i dont have to drive illegally :help: but if its really soo troublesome then i dont know maybe i need to become illegal :smiling_imp:

yes, technically the law states that you must have been in Taiwan for over a year counting from the date of issue of your ARC… yesterday however I argued with the DMV testing center here in Taichung on behalf of a friend who’s been in Taiwan for well over a year since his last date of entry on a tourist visa, that was legally extended and then later legally converted into an ARC…

they tried the ARC stay needs to be over a year line, but I argued that almost anyone who gets an ARC must first enter the country on some other type of visa before converting to ARC and that in his case the total time since his last entry was well over a year and his stay and extensions on his regular pre-ARC visa were legal and legitimate… after a lot of coaxing and a phone call or two to make sure she would not be responsible the lady at the counter gave in and allowed him to take the test…

she said the policy was indeed over one year’s stay from the issue date of the ARC, but that she could see my point and they made an exception… I should point out that she started off very hostile, bigotted and unhelpful and only lots of my best top drawer chinese, sickly sweet banter and gentle persuation brought her around…

just goes to show that the law means nothing… :loco:

if you’ve not been in Taiwan for over a year even from the date of your first entry I think your chances of going the ARC route are almost zero… assuming Taiwan recognises Indian issued licences (laughable isn’t it Taiwan “recognising” India’s validity… pffft :raspberry: ) you could get an international licence based on the Indian one from the local DMV, get it stamped at the same time and technically you’d be a legal rider… otherwise wait until February when you’ve been on the island a year and then go and argue your case…

Now I am confused. I got this info from the DMV webpage stating the ARC requirements for obtaining a license in Taiwan.

This is different from plasmatron’s post and the experiences of crystaldude21. But I guess I am not the only one confused by TW laws and information policy. :s :s So is this information BS?

Dear plasamtron as i mentioned earlier i dont have an IDL so how do i go about this with a local indian driving licence???what do i need to do?should i just go there with my driving licence and ask them to give me a stamp so that i can ride a bike here???and what about the validity of that??? :help:

@ ratlung:
I suppose it all just boils down the the “flexible” nature of Taiwan’s laws… here in Taichung they were adamant that it was about how long you’d been in Taiwan on the ARC… not the validity peroid of the ARC… notice how in their own example the issue date to the expiry date in fact does NOT exceed 1 year… :idunno: :loco:

@crystaldude21:
Take your Indian licence to the DMV and claim you want an international licence based on it… should work assuming Taiwan recognises Indian issued licences…

Oh dear. I just failed the written test :blush: (This was at Taipei, Shilin) The questions are NOT now the same as those online at:
tcmvd.gov.tw/English/k.idc
(I tried that 4 or 5 times until I was pretty confident of a 100% score)

For your amusement/education, here are the questions I failed:

Correct answer: TRUE. Changing lanes to avoid danger is prohibited it seems …

Correct answer: b 50% more.[/b] Granted, you could guess this one, but I was thinking “Huh? Do they not know that double and twice are the same? This makes no sense, might as well pick a random one”

Correct answer: (1) Can turn left. No need to move into the left lane first, just cut across 4 lines of traffic is A-OK …

Correct answer: b car lane lines.[/b] WTF? perpendicular to what?

[quote][Picture of circular sign with (front on) picture of car and red strike through it]
(1) ??? no pedestrians (2) no any cars (3) no small cars[/quote]
Correct answer: b no small cars[/b]. What is a small car? What’s the sign for a big car?

Note that the '???'s really were just a row of question marks. There were actually several questions where the answers included ‘???’ Whether these were bits that hadn’t been translated into English, or could just be ignored I don’t know.

There were also several questions where I seriously did not understand what the question was, but guessed correctly - but they only give a printout of your fails, so I can’t put them up here. [I also failed a silly one - A no left turn with a picture of a bus means “No left turn FOR busses” not except busses :homer: ]

It seems they don’t produce a booklet or anything (beyond the out-of-date website) to help you practice these questions, so I guess I’m just going to have to memorise the correct answers and try again …

The good news is that the whole process (up to and including the written test) is very quick - it was 30 minutes from walking into the building to walking out again, and you can retake the test 7 days after you fail.

Total cost ~NT$800 (per test).

Does anyone know of any other online resources (apart from their main site at 163.29.36.51/tcmvd/index.jsp ) or ways to practise their tests?

Transferring into Taiwan’s driver license

Requirements:

I’m no authority, but it looks like you’re out of luck until at least Feb if your Indian license wasn’t authenticated by the embassy/consulate in India…

Taiwanese beurocrats eh? :unamused:

It’s like yesterday at the DMV, my mate didn’t bring his passport since at first he didn’t think he needed it… they insisted on seeing it so they told him to go home and get it… on a scooter… we were there applying for a scooter licence… :laughing: :unamused: