Government again urges Lien to talk to Chen before trip

I think Lien’s trip to China could be good for Taiwan, only if he decided to not come back! Or, he could at least break some ROC laws and end up in jail at the very least; that would be okay, too. Would the CCP invite him to visit to their own detriment? Or, is the CCP hoping to gain something towards their avowed goal of unification? Not too tough to figure out!

Here is an indication that T.I.ers may indeed be shooting themsevles in the head.

abc.net.au/ra/news/stories/s1352513.htm

Last Updated 25/04/2005, 04:40:01

Taiwan’s President Chen Shui-bian has welcomed planned visits to China by two leading Opposition figures as an opportunity for direct contacts across the Taiwan Strait.

The statement represents a reversal of the president’s earlier position of strong opposition to the separate trips.

A senior government official has said that President Chen now views the visits as an opportunity to obtain direct, first hand information, and has given the talks his blessing.

-=-=-=-=-

Meanwhile, Lee Tenghui calls for “full mobilization and war against DPP” and issues a new T.I.er must-read bible called “New Era Taiwanese,” made pocket-size to go where the avid T.I.er goes (i.e. little green book). In the propaganda department, T.P. Times calls for more revolutionary fervor:

Sounds like LTH is developing a little “Mao Syndrome” himself … thank god he doesn’t have Mao’s authority or following or we’d all be in trouble.

[quote]Taiwan’s President Chen Shui-bian has welcomed planned visits to China by two leading Opposition figures as an opportunity for direct contacts across the Taiwan Strait.

The statement represents a reversal of the president’s earlier position of strong opposition to the separate trips.

A senior government official has said that President Chen now views the visits as an opportunity to obtain direct, first hand information, and has given the talks his blessing. [/quote]

There`s nothing wrong with Lien/Soong or any other sycophantic surrender monkey going to Beijing. However, they need to remember they go as private citizens and have no authority to act on behalf of the government or people of Taiwan. Hopefully, Lien will stay in that country on the other side of the strait.

Here’s Yahoo’s article on it.

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … ic_journey

Let me get this straight… Chen wines link a punk when Bejing puts their foot down on his travel plans yet he does the same thing to Lien? I am so looking forward to this trip. This will be sweet!

Taiwanisfunny and so are you!..i reckon it’s a bit different when the PRESIDENT of Taiwan has his travel plans affected by China and when an OPPOSITION imbecile travels to China to have a meeting with Hu Jintao! Go figure!

Anyways go and take a look at the chinese news…riots, egg throwing and all kinds of chaos right now at Terminal 2! :noway: :unamused:

Yeah, the last two times the KMT made deals with the CCP, they were backstabbed. I guess history really does (and will) repeat itself.

Latest news has it there were violent confrontations at the airport.

[quote]
By Annie Huang
ASSOCIATED PRESS
8:52 p.m. April 25, 2005

TAIPEI, Taiwan

Indeed. The trouble is that they plan to come back!

I wonder what king of reception he’ll get on his return. hopefully he’ll get locked up for a while :laughing:

Bigger riots at the airport, most likely. What we saw on TV today was disgusting. Wait until CNN airs this worldwide. A blackmark on Taiwan’s image once again.

What’s wrong with Lien going over there? Democracy and all that. Just like the KMT paved the way for the New Year’s flights, maybe the KMT can pave the way for peace and more talks. Give Lien a chance.

Even a jerk like Nixon did good things, once in a while.

This might be Lien’s swan song of a good thing.

But the riots at the airport today…

Who gives a damn about what people outside think? This is a far more serious issue than giving a crap what a tsk-tsking and uninformed viewing audience in other places thinks. Yes, the violence was troubling, but what the hell did you expect was going to happen?

People on both sides think their country is at stake. This is no tea party. And if you think that is disturbing, then you should pack your stuff and get out while you are able to book your favorite seat on the plane, because it could get a lot, lot worse.

Who gives a damn about what people outside think? [/quote]

Those “people outside” are respectively: saving your ass; throttling your neck. You may want to give a damn.

Point taken. Let me clarify.

I do give a damn about what people with authority think on both sides. I don’t give a damn about people who know buttgus about Taiwan and click their tongues as they watch CNN.

I also give a damn about the fact that Lien’s trip to China received US support, and that the US should know that Lien’s motives are dishonorable and that his departure would cause considerable anger and precipitate a conflict. The “status quo” is sometimes as vulnerable to “peace” overtures as it is to “independence” overtures, and I sure hope the US is aware of this.

You think Lien’s going to start a war? And all this time I always had an inkling that Annette Lu would be the one.

As public opinion might have a great deal to do with whether the US steps in in the case of a Chinese attack, you might want to give a shit when hooligans appear on TV and give the international viewing community the idea that Taiwan is just as much of a mess as China is.

As for the US government, I think they just don’t want to have to step in at all, and are cautious but glad to see the two sides talking, no matter who is doing the talking. I don’t think they got upset when Jesse Jackson or Jimmy Carter went to the Middle East to negotiate, and they probably see this as a similar case and will continue to do so until proved otherwise.

Oops, I guess this isn’t strictly on-topic. I’m glad I got this entry in before this thread reflects opinions contr-- uh, I mean before this thread is locked, too.

Very good points, Poagao. As long as there are people from both sides talking, there won’t be fighting (that’s basically what they said in that movie “Thirteen Days” about the Cuban missile crisis - and btw, Kevin Costner has a terrible Bostonian accent!). I just want to echo what Poagao said, Zhujianlun, because it does matter what people in the outside world think, no matter how “informed” they are about the situation and/or its implications, because it is public opinion that will be a major factor in determining what role the US plays in supporting Taiwan. I have no doubt that they will support Taiwan, but as to whether that is simply diplomatic measures, logistics, or the sending of actual combat troops will depend upon a lot of things … do the US people think Taiwan is worth risking thousands and thousands of US lives for? Who, in their view, instigated it? Was it a surprise attack without provocation, or did the Taiwanese governing authorities do something that others may view as “provocative”? Taiwan doesn’t exist in a vaccuum, even though many of the people may do so … they have to be ready to accept the ramifications of how their actions play out on the world stage.

Free advertising and media attention. OK, a riot isn’t pretty, but it lets the world see clearly that the people of this country aren’t going idly sit by or say nothing while this slimeball tries to sell it out from underneath them. I don’t like to see violence from the green camp, that’s pan-blue territory. Having said that, I hope they scared Lien Chan into pissing his pants.

Thats because CSB is the president and represents the govt and Lien Chan doesn`t have any authority to act on behalf of Taiwan. It would be like John Kerry negotiating with Iran/North Korea instead of dubya.

Poor analogy Taichungmafia, US legislators often visit foreign dignitaries and countries to pave the way for more nominal relations. US and Vietnam normalized relations decades after the war ended due much in part to lobbying by senators Kerry and McCain.