Government may cancel 550cc expressway, fast-lane privilege

Fast-lane privelege?

Isn’t it about time these government morons open ALL roads to motorcycles over 250 cc … the way they talk is just bullshit and when taking their argument further they should ban all vehicles from driving on any road … because it’s also a public safety concern …

When countries worldwide would implement the same rules I think the motorcycle industry would be in deep shite …

Compared to the 20,000,000,000,000 violations by cars/trucks, 900 violations by motorcycles doesn’t seem so bad.

As an owner of a 400cc yellow-plate bike, I know I sure would like the same benefits that red-plate bikes get. Once the rules were changed for 550cc-and-up bikes, the yellow-platers were sort of left in limbo. Hopefully the fast lane privilege is not rescinded, but instead expanded to include 250cc and up motorcycles.

that sucks… a lot…

So just to make this plain out of 17,017 heavy bikes there were “900 violations by large motorcycles were reported between November and May.” SO that just over 5% of all heavy bikes that have been issued tickets in 6 months. That’s incredibly below the Taiwan average.

2003: "Taiwan topped world standings in terms of the number of traffic tickets each licensed operator of a motor vehicle received last year, a Central Police University (CPU) professor in Taipei said June 4.

Traffic police issued more than 17.41 million traffic tickets last year, said CPU Professor Tsai Chih-Hung, quoting statistics from the National Police Administration (NPA). “This figure could be translated to 1.5 traffic tickets for each of the nation’s 11 million licensed drivers,” Professor Tsai said, adding that the per capita figure was higher than that recorded in the United States, Japan, and Canada.

NPA statistics further show that traffic fines amounted to $542.24 million last year. According to Professor Tsai, these fines have become an [color=red]important[/color] source of income for city and county governments. The Taipei City Government received the largest amount—$46.8 million—in traffic fines last year, according to Central News Agency. "

So are they not making enough revenue from big bikers, is that the problem?

Out of 161,468 traffic accidents in 2007 there were 2,573 fatalities.
So banning big bikes from freeways would reduce that number by 5. And they are focusing all their attention on big bikes? Please!

“The [color=red]relaxed policy[/color] has led to the death of five people and injured 109, the statistics show.”

:unamused:

Definition of a Relaxed policy: [url=http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/taipei/2008/07/05/164030/Drunk-driver.htm] But the defendant appealed to the Taipei District Court, arguing that the alcohol did not have any influence on him driving safely.

He said he proved that by walking steadily along a straight line when police required him to do so.

The district court judge accepted his argument.[/url]

Of course nobody has mentioned how the 5 deaths by heavy motorcycle occurred. Is it perhaps possible that the deaths were not all the fault of the riders, but because of deteriorated road conditions or lack of due care and attention by other road users?

I don’t doubt that heavy motorcycle riders can be mental and often rather stupid and inconsiderate. After all a majority of them must be Taiwan license holders, there are even statistics as evidence to show how dangerous these bikes are, but the answer is not to simply ban them from roads. As someone else mentioned then in all fairness so should other types of vehicle that cause a majority of road deaths including cars, trucks, buses, etc.
What needs to be done in response to road deaths is police the roads better. Have adequate road safety laws and rules to abide by. Implement punishments according to violations or crimes instead of simply handing out more tickets. Ensure the road worthiness of road going vehicles by testing them on a regular basis. Introduce more laws to account for standards of vehicle maintenance instead of the non existent laws at present.

In the U.K. we have a government source of income in the form of vehicle testing which must be carried out once per year to every single road going vehicle. We provide revenue to tyre manufacturers by implementation of laws regarding the wear and tear of tyres. We provide revenue and taxable income to service repair centers that must maintain these vehicles and keep them in a state of good repair. Simply put it is quite easy and very possible to both improve the road conditions in Taiwan, reduce the number of fatalities and maintain a fair taxable income, as well as improve employment.

What Taiwan fails to realize again and again and again is the absolute obvious. It can’t see the forest for its nose!

For anyone interested you can check out some reports and stats regarding motor vehicle operation and number of accidents statistics below:

National Police Agency

Department of Statistics

I’m just in awe on how Taiwan just can’t make any forward progress with all things related to driving/riding…they never cease to dig their hole deeper with all this nonsense…I mean, is there not even one lawmaker with just half a brain? I guess it’s better for them to turn a blind eye on all other road vehicle accident statistics because they wouldn’t even know where to start…and besides, how can they keep any kind of statistics when it would be impossible to tally all the simultaneous wrongdoing that goes down on the roads at any given time?..

I hope that judge (in the drunk driving case Sulavaca posted) gets taken out himself by a drunk driver someday…total asshat! :fume:

:bravo:

Well put, sir.

What a bunch of fucking cunts.

So where can I send my now sizeable collection of video clips clearly showing traffic violations by police cars in support of banning them from fast lanes, expressways and tollways?

• illegal right turns on red: over 10
  • running red lights: x3
  • changing lanes without indicating: well over 20
  • speeding: x5
  • illegal parking: over 10

It seams that big bikes will be banned from expressways in Taiwan.

What do you want??? It’s a small dicks and small bikes country.

From what I read they are just discussing the possibility. As the Ministry of Transport said, lifting the ban in the first place was temporary and conditional upon riders displaying they could obey the rules of the road as well as everyone else. Er, better, yes, better than everyone else. :laughing:

Nope. They did a test on expressway 68 and 72 for 2 years before they allowed permanently.
I know because I used to owned a cb400 and at that time I could drive it on the expressway.

Now, not only they fucked me (expressway 550cc+) They say that we are the cause of accidents. Not true.

Here is what I think. MA IN JIO (president of of Taiwan) son’s bought a BMW M6 V10 500hp for 8 million NT$ and he doesn’t like to get passed by a 550cc bike worth 200 000$. So he is going to change the rule.

Those fuck who drive like shit on the expressway and cause crashes don’t like to be kept in check and get passed by bikes.

I believe that the guys who make the laws in Taiwan don’t have enough money to buy bikes so, they figure " If I can’t have one nobody should. So let’s give them hell."

Can we merge the two threads on this? Sulvaca made a very good post with statistics that show big bikers are responsible for a disproportionately tiny fraction of traffic offenses compared with other road users.

I’m about 80% sure this will just go away but who knows?

Maybe if he had a son :smiley: But yes, probably a combination of jealousy from police and Camry drivers plus some of that good old lobbying from SymCo who are losing a few hundred million every year to big biking bastards who should be buying their scooters.

[quote=“llary”]Can we merge the two threads on this? Sulvaca made a very good post with statistics that show big bikers are responsible for a disproportionately tiny fraction of traffic offenses compared with other road users.[/quote]Done. That post’s now on the previous page of this merged thread.

That’s official of Ministry of Transportation should probably then tell all the scooters should be banned from roads, that will greatly also reduce the deaths, accidents, and traffic violations probably by 90% of road accidents.
Better yet, also ban the Subaru’s with turbos, modified Hondas e whatever that drag races on expressaways/freeways, and any rich SOB that has Porche, Ferraris, Lambo, etc…that will also keep road safer…
C’mon 5% of the heavy bikes getting involved in accidents/traffic violations…Can we get a demonstration of heavy bikes again?
Frankly speaking, I see many heavy bikes riders wearing more safety gear than necessary, I don’t see a betel nut chewer, on slippers, and a shorts/t-shirt riding heavy bikes and racing in the middle of night like those scooter gangs…For me heavy bikes users are more courteous and responsible than most drivers/riders.

Maybe if he had a son :smiley: But yes, probably a combination of jealousy from police and Camry drivers plus some of that good old lobbying from SymCo who are losing a few hundred million every year to big biking bastards who should be buying their scooters.[/quote]

I agree, probably Kymco has been losing market on the overpriced heavy scooters that they have been selling which no one is buying. (250cc Xciting for 150K?) 500cc Xciting for almost 300K? Albeit I know the Taiwan scooter manufacturers always had a very good lobbying and “relationship” with certain government officials…

There’s no common sense in Taiwan…

To protest I drove Omeroj’s bike on the expresseway at 380kph yesterday. Bit I slowed down at the camera (85kph).
(Just kidding) his bike is not a Hayabusa.

Every time that i get on the forum and i see this topic i ask myself, when is that i will leave Taiwan…
it is so disappointing what is happening… and the worst part is that we cannot do anything about it…
these kind of things are the ones that makes me thing about the ignorance of this @%#&^@ government… Taiwan will never get in the line of progress with this kind mentality, and its not just about the bikes, its everything, when its an idea that requires an open mind, then forget about it…
I hope that the law doesn’t change… and the foolish dream of the highways becomes true one day

[quote=“sulavaca”]
In the U.K. we have a government source of income in the form of vehicle testing which must be carried out once per year to every single road going vehicle. We provide revenue to tyre manufacturers by implementation of laws regarding the wear and tear of tyres. We provide revenue and taxable income to service repair centers that must maintain these vehicles and keep them in a state of good repair. Simply put it is quite easy and very possible to both improve the road conditions in Taiwan, reduce the number of fatalities and maintain a fair taxable income, as well as improve employment.

National Police Agency

Department of Statistics[/quote]

Not sure if you INTENDED to say that the main motivation for HMG vehicle safety policy is to make money, but its maybe not so far from the truth. The vast majority of accidents are caused by human error, not vehicle defects. Forcing Taiwanese drivers to spend more on vehicle maintenance would be a bit like making Africans clean thier Kalashnikovs.

[quote=“Ducked”]
Not sure if you INTENDED to say that the main motivation for HMG vehicle safety policy is to make money, but its maybe not so far from the truth. The vast majority of accidents are caused by human error, not vehicle defects. Forcing Taiwanese drivers to spend more on vehicle maintenance would be a bit like making Africans clean their Kalashnikovs.[/quote]

This is most probably true, but without any sort of vehicle testing procedure, then we are not likely to know for sure what sort of percentages we are talking here and what sort of further actions are necessary. Indeed offering a comprehensive license test procedure is yet another way to both make revenue and provide a better environment for motorists. It also offers more employment. HMG don’t actually make much money from enforcing speed penalties or vehicle testing, as the overheads are much higher than in Taiwan. Also more recently many speed cameras in the U.K. have offered reduced revenue due to retirement of many accident causing speed cameras such as the ones you will mainly find in Taiwan i.e. those placed on fast downhill sections of roads, at the exits of tunnels, those situated around tight bends in the road etc. Speed cameras in the U.K. have also been updated to receive highlighting orange paint, giving an earlier warning to road users to allow greater distance for slowing without so much need to brake heavily.
My point is though that Taiwan’s use of speed cameras is as a form of revenue only and not a form of violation repression, which it should be by the well respected license points system where any driver or rider would eventually loose their license to the constant commitment of road offenses. I can only assume that the Taiwan government prefers a system where it is extremely simple to gain a license and extremely simple to drive dangerously and incur only small penalties in the form of fines with no end.
Instead Taiwan needs to raise the costs to motorists without it being their health and the health of others, but at the same time provide a service to motorists in the form of violation control and greater overall safety and protection for road users. And I still don’t understand why protection of the young does not qualify as top priority in Taiwan by bringing in statutory seat belt laws as well as enforcing safety seat laws and the cancellation of riders licenses who choose motorcycles as a means of transport for ferrying children.
Children are not capable of understanding and accepting the risks involved offered by differing forms of transportation. But perhaps I am getting ahead of myself as perhaps it is the case that many adults don’t either.

Big bikes as stated earlier are accounting for about 30 times less the number of traffic violations by average according to the numbers in the article and are not an immediate priority in this respect. Big bikes are also not so much a transport tool as they are a means of recreation much of the time, and so should require a differing point of perspective when dealing with these types of enforcement issues. Many of these big bike recreation group leaders are in fact responsible and ensure that trailing bikes keep to a certain speed so as not to disrupt the group flow and instead manage a safer pace and line, keeping the experience safer and more enjoyable. This sort of level of responsibility should be both encouraged and rewarded by the government and as clubs account for many of the trips done by road by big bikes, they can potentially receive greater rewards for managing and encouraging safer group rides in the future; as well as providing better instruction than the over simplified government system of training and testing. Better organization of racing events and construction of race tracks can help to ensure that people have a better way of competing instead of on the road and overall people will respond by being more responsible, especially when part of a group that relies on responsible behavior.

Again, there are means to develop and encourage road safety. There are ways of working for the people, and there are ways of working against the people too. The Taiwan government so far is the slow kid in the class, and chooses bullying as a means to get his own way instead of simply making friends.