Government may cancel 550cc expressway, fast-lane privilege

I don’t buy The Taiwan Government as a special case of bullying, that’s pretty much inherent to the nature of governments, and Taiwan’s at least has the virtue of innefficiency.

Private vehicle ownership has been a “golden short and curlies” extortion opportunity enthusiastically embraced by first National, then Local British governments, with road safety and environmental protection providing an increasingly shrivelled and unconvincing fig leaf.

Road Tax is a good example. Maybe 10-15 (? can’t remember) years ago declared British government policy was to abolish road tax and transfer the revenue generation to an increased fuel duty. Simple, logical, and environmentally sound (In particular, it avoids the “I’ve paid all this tax so I’d better use the bloody thing” syndrome), so of course it didn’t happen. Instead we have an increasingly complex system discrimminating between vehicles, and now specifically punitive retrospective taxes, at both local (“congestion charge” my arse) and national level, heavily penalising older vehicles.

I assume the auto trade lobby figured this was the best way to shift new tin, but they may have overdone it. Buying a new car was always a cast iron guarantee to lose money, but now its a speculation in the increasingly shaky automative futures market. Adding retrospective taxes isn’t going to build confidence. There’s more to fear than just fear itself, but it’ll do for a start.

any news on the subject? can we keep riding safe without the oppression of the government… not that i feel it, but it sounds good… :wink:

Why don’t they just adapt one rule here in Taiwan, like Belgium or most of the EU … everything over 100cc can drive were ever they want if they can keep up with traffic … i.e. minimum speed on freeways 70km/h

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Why don’t they just adapt one rule here in Taiwan, like Belgium or most of the EU … everything over 100cc can drive were ever they want if they can keep up with traffic … i.e. minimum speed on freeways 70km/h[/quote]BP -
In theory I solidly agree with your idea. However, I’d suggest a 250cc or above on the highway/freeway roads. A good 250cc motorcycle or scooter should be able to keep up with traffic here.
And a minimum of 55 km/h. I believe the current max speed is 70 km/h. I could be mistaken on this.

I wouldn’t want to see the cruising obasans with both feet swinging out while putt-putt-putting along the freeway/highway. Pointy straw hat tied to the back of their heads as they weave in & out of traffic…heaven forbid!

It would sure be nice if I could take my dink on the fast roads!