Government will come to my bushiban to make sure I teach

So I work at a kindergarten but my kindergarten gets my an arc through this bushiban that they know. I’ve never been there and today my boss goes to the bushiban to get my stuff to file taxes and they got a letter from the government saying that sometime this month or next month they will come to the bushiban to make sure I work there. The problem is I don’t work there? So I’m going to the bushiban now a couple days a week for free and hanging out with the kids and grading papers cuz the owner wants the kids to tell the government agents I work there. Is this happening with other schools? I’m really concerned. What should I do?

SPend as much time as you can at the buxiban and as litle as possible at the kindergarten, as it’s illegal for you work at the kindergarten. You’re an illegal worker, so you’re pretty much at your bosses mercy.

Yeah good advise. I’m going to spend all my free time at the bushiban until the government show up. Is this happening to other people too?

If anyone gets screwed here it will be you. Your kindy job is illegal, no way around it. I would NOT show up at the buxiban when the gov guys were there. I have never heard of inspectors coming to check on specific teachers. Something stinks.

Begin a new job search.

Well I don’t plan on being there when they show up. The owner is going to say that it’s my day off. But I think that the owner wants to make sure the inspectors know that I work there cuz he can get a huge fine for this.

True, but you may get deported. Why can’t you just teach there???

[quote]I have never heard of inspectors coming to check on specific teachers. Something stinks.

Begin a new job search.[/quote]
Stinky indeed. I’m not in this line of work, but I haven’t heard of this one before. I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like your boss is a “suspect” and that they’re on to him. Got any vacation time accrued? Now would be a good time to take it, I’m thinking. Draw your holiday pay and hit the streets for a new job.

And you can get deported. Trust us, it happens.

I’m with jd and sandman. The situation sounds so fishy that I’d go so far as to suggest that maybe the bushiban lost a foreign teacher or needs a foreign teacher or wants to put up appearances of a foreign teacher working there - since your kindy boss owes the bushy, maybe the bushy thinks they can get you on the cheap. Hell, maybe that’s their arrangement. If things don’t go the bushy’s way, you may find yourself out of the way.

I agree with the other posts. It is very strange. And in Taiwan when things get strange you ought to be very careful. Remember that what you think law should be conducted like and what law is conducted like here may well be somewhat different. Remember too that no matter what tricks are pulled kindergarten work is illegal. And if they are kindergarten age but going to a Bushiban at times and in a place that looks like a kindergarten that too is illegal.

Hey guys, this is so common it’s not even funny.

Only difference is that the registered bushiban (which may not even have any students or turn out to be a noodle stand) and the kindy are in two different locations. How do you think these guys get away with running illegal kindy’s anyway. Simple: Open P-classes, and register the whole shebang as a bushiban. If your current firetrap kindy on the 8th floor of a building won’t pass safety inspections? No worries, just rent another building, open a bushiban, register it, and sponsor your foreign teachers from there. Then you can sublet the location to another business. It’s done ALL THE TIME.

However, I agree with the above posters…I’d start seeking new employment soon. The days of getting away with this kind of grey area crap are fast coming to an end.

Yes, you can and will be deported if caught. All they have to do is interview some of the students (provided there are any), and you are toast.

Sorry you are in this predicament.

[quote=“jdsmith”]If anyone gets screwed here it will be you. Your kindy job is illegal, no way around it. I would NOT show up at the buxiban when the gov guys were there. I have never heard of inspectors coming to check on specific teachers. Something stinks.

We had a foreign teacher head count done by the govt once. One of the male staff was away so the headcount was correct and they just took a look around and left. They did look at the one extra teacher picture on the wall though. I was the extra teacher with the open work permit. :smiling_imp:

Sometimes they do check, but the odds against being checked are high.

[quote=“jdsmith”]If anyone gets screwed here it will be you. Your kindy job is illegal, no way around it. I would NOT show up at the buxiban when the gov guys were there. I have never heard of inspectors coming to check on specific teachers. Something stinks.

Jdsmith, I was always under the impression you also operated a kindy. Are your kindy jobs also illegal? Or have you found some other way around the legalities? If so, I would be interested in knowing.

[quote=“impleased”][quote=“jdsmith”]If anyone gets screwed here it will be you. Your kindy job is illegal, no way around it. I would NOT show up at the buxiban when the gov guys were there. I have never heard of inspectors coming to check on specific teachers. Something stinks.

Jdsmith, I was always under the impression you also operated a kindy. Are your kindy jobs also illegal? Or have you found some other way around the legalities? If so, I would be interested in knowing.[/quote]

Funny how we think aint it? JD aint got no kindies.

So it seems that the OP is fully aware that his or her job is not a legal one. Rather than trying to think of ways of avoiding the trouble of an inspection, why not follow the general advice here and get a legal job then you won’t need to worry.

[quote=“impleased”][quote=“jdsmith”]If anyone gets screwed here it will be you. Your kindy job is illegal, no way around it. I would NOT show up at the buxiban when the gov guys were there. I have never heard of inspectors coming to check on specific teachers. Something stinks.

Jdsmith, I was always under the impression you also operated a kindy. Are your kindy jobs also illegal? Or have you found some other way around the legalities? If so, I would be interested in knowing.[/quote]

I would say nothing if I were JD.

I would say nothing if I were JD.[/quote]
JD doesn’t operate a kindy, AND he’s legit.

I would say nothing if I were JD.[/quote]
JD doesn’t operate a kindy, AND he’s legit.[/quote]

2LTQ Too Legit to quit

Yep, he’s legit, but on vacation over this weekend so he can’t answer the accusation himself.

It’s not worth answering.

JFYI, I’m not a teacher but I have been checked at my place of work. A guy from MOFA came round, asked for my ARC, checked it on his list, wished me a good day and then was gone. Took about thirty seconds. So it does happen, at least for non-teaching ARCs in Taipei County. Having said that, your situation sounds as dodgy as hell - I second the opinions already posted. Tread very very carefully or you’ll find yourself on a plane before you can blink. Start looking for another job, a legit one.

Good luck