Government will come to my bushiban to make sure I teach

Glad I went legit last year and switched to only buxiban.

That too. :wink:

Glad I left the island and went completely legit. :smiley:

Why not start a huge drive to make everyone aware of the situation with kindies? Not just on the site here but into the community too.

Right, the kindy bosses would have us killed!

Seriously though, I bet that if kindies just couldn’t get foreign staff to work there anymore they’d put more pressure on the government to make it legal again (remember those brief few months when it was legal to work in a kindy).

Actually, I used to work at a kindy. When the government made it legal and allowed us to sign contracts with kindies I was smart enough to make my contract a very long one. When the government changed the rules again they said that those who signed contracts before a certain date would be allowed to finish that contract… so, I did and it was a very Loooooong contract. I wonder if it would have worked. I never got to find out.

I agree with Bassman, the legal situation with teaching at a kindergarten has waivered back and forth and not everyone has been following the legal twists. I was looking at the classifieds a couple of days ago and it seems that the majority of ads are looking for kindy subs or fulltime kindy teachers, and i kept asking myself why. I mean, if there are so many ads on forumosa then maybe it’s legal again? or maybe not…? This ambiguity needs to be fixed somehow…and yes, for the record, i know that it is ILLEGAL to teach kindy if you are a foreigner.

[quote=“impleased”][quote=“jdsmith”]If anyone gets screwed here it will be you. Your kindy job is illegal, no way around it. I would NOT show up at the buxiban when the gov guys were there. I have never heard of inspectors coming to check on specific teachers. Something stinks.

Begin a new job search.[/quote]

Jdsmith, I was always under the impression you also operated a kindy. Are your kindy jobs also illegal? Or have you found some other way around the legalities? If so, I would be interested in knowing.[/quote]

It is true

I’ve been vacating in Japan.
I do not own/run/work for a kindy.
Our school is legal.

The way to go around the system are easy. Just work there, and they run you out as fast as possible when the police come by. Lots of people do it and make great bux and never get caught. Some do and they are impolitely swept away and barred from returning.

jdstraightasanarrow

Jdsmith, I was always under the impression you also operated a kindy. Are your kindy jobs also illegal? Or have you found some other way around the legalities? If so, I would be interested in knowing.[/quote]
I would say nothing if I were JD.[/quote]
JD doesn’t operate a kindy, AND he’s legit.[/quote]

2LTQ Too Legit to quit[/quote]

Word.

Why, Why, why, why, why,Why, Why, why, why, why,Why, Why, why,
why, why,Why, Why, why, why, why,Why, Why, why, why, why,Why,
Why, why, why, why,Why, Why, why, why, why,

Do people find themselves in situations like this?

Why,Why, Why, why, why, why,Why, Why, why, why, why,Why,
Why, why, why, why,Why, Why, why, why, why,Why, Why, why,
why, why,Why, Why, why, why, why,Why, Why, why, why, why,

Are half the teachers on the island probably in a similar situation?

Why, Why, why, why, why,Why, Why, why, why, why,Why, Why,
why, why, why,Why, Why, why, why, why,Why, Why, why, why,
why,Why, Why, why, why, why,Why, Why, why, why, why,

Do people place themselves in situations that they would never place themselves in when in their own country?

Are people continually misled and deceived by schools?

WHY?

[color=green]
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$[/color]

Or am I missing something?

Because the worst case senerio is getting booted out of an incredibly overcrowded country that is dirty and hot, then heading home, or if one has managed to save some dough, heading down to the PI or Thailand to “think things through.”

Maybe they should have jail time for offenders?

Be glad that the Bman and I aren’t working for the Feds here. :smiling_imp:

i hope you are being facetious. if you can drive over someone while you’re drunk and not go to jail through buying your way outta it, then i think that getting thrown out of the country is punishment enough.

neither is govt policy (re: english education) served by heaving boatloads of people out while they can’t find nearly enough people to fill positions already available.

but this has been hashed through many times …

[quote=“xtrain”]I hope you are being facetious. if you can drive over someone while you’re drunk and not go to jail through buying your way outta it, then I think that getting thrown out of the country is punishment enough.

neither is govt policy (re: English education) served by heaving boatloads of people out while they can’t find nearly enough people to fill positions already available.

but this has been hashed through many times …[/quote]

Well, how does it work in the US? Do they just tell people being deported to leave or do they toos them in jail first and lead them to the gate in cuffs?

Interesting thing is that I know of one person that hired people to work in kindies and one of the first things that he told people was that it is illegal and explained the situation carefully. So anyone taking that job was completely aware of the situation and could never say that they had never been told.

Scary thing is most people thought nothing of taking the job.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“xtrain”]I hope you are being facetious. if you can drive over someone while you’re drunk and not go to jail through buying your way outta it, then I think that getting thrown out of the country is punishment enough.

neither is govt policy (re: English education) served by heaving boatloads of people out while they can’t find nearly enough people to fill positions already available.

Well, how does it work in the US? Do they just tell people being deported to leave or do they toos them in jail first and lead them to the gate in cuffs?[/quote]

and this is relevent how?

[quote=“xtrain”][quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“xtrain”]I hope you are being facetious. if you can drive over someone while you’re drunk and not go to jail through buying your way outta it, then I think that getting thrown out of the country is punishment enough.

Well, how does it work in the US? Do they just tell people being deported to leave or do they toos them in jail first and lead them to the gate in cuffs?[/quote]

and this is relevent how?[/quote]

It’s a tangent, but I’m curious as to how visa violators are treated in the US, and then compare that to how they are treated here.

to answer your question, i’d say that most people would be more desperate to stay in the US as compared to here. the demand to live in the west is far greater, i think we’d agree. so the method of enforcing removal of visa violators would probably need to be different.

further, the underlying reason for being granted a visa here can be seen as flawed, certainly more flawed than for the west. someone who is one year short of a degree in teaching english can’t come here to teach, but someone with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of 2nd language acquisition theory or practice is welcomed with open arms even if their degree is in basketweaving …

also, foreign prisons here are already overflowing, from what i’ve seen written.

lastly, consider issues of power. i’m pretty sure that taiwan doesn’t want to step on any more toes than necessary, while western countries with more power (by way of the demand to live in them) would be less likely to worry about any sort of retribution on the part of the ROC …

hey, basketweaving is bloody difficult!

[quote=“jdsmith”]If anyone gets screwed here it will be you. Your kindy job is illegal, no way around it. I would NOT show up at the buxiban when the gov guys were there. I have never heard of inspectors coming to check on specific teachers. Something stinks.

Begin a new job search.[/quote]

Sounds like just another shithead sleaze boss finding a way to get fre work out of you, “oh yea we got this letter…and you need to hang around for awhile…can you grade these papers…and so on…”
Now the boss can tell potential and existing customers they have their very own pet wai guo ren and charge more from the parents.

Your kindy job is illegal, period. If the boss is willing to lie to his government and risk getting you kicked out screwing you is a cake walk.

get a new job and protect yourself!!!

fast

I believe people are jailed before being deported from the states, but then, if one drove over someone while drunk, it’d be a heck of a lot harder to buy one’s self out of it.