GPS unit from the US would work in Taiwan / Taipei?

I was wondering about picking up a GPS unit ( can get them cheap ! ) in the US and bringing it to Taiwan… would it work ?

Wouldn’t need anything fancy… just a latitude / longitude readout ( in English ! )

Is it possible to get something in Taipei ( with English display ) cheap enough… say about US$80 ?

[quote]I was wondering about picking up a GPS unit ( can get them cheap ! ) in the US and bringing it to Taiwan… would it work ?
[/quote]

I can’t imagine why not – its a G(lobal)PS after all, not an A(merican)PS. I have a friend who plays that game where you cache a GPS-type thing and other people try to find it. He brings the devices he uses in from Germany and they work just fine.
Still, probably the best way to find out would be to just ask the manufacturer.

They will work here, no problem. As well handheld GPS receivers are widely available here, don’t know the prices though.
BTW: Garmin is made in Taiwan.

Let me correct / add this: they will work here as long as they have a Taiwan map programmed into them.
I have recently been to an island and the resolution was pretty poor, there was no detail on the map (roads etc.) and some of the smaller islands, and here I don’t mean tiny ones or a rock in the sea, were missing.
However Lat/Lon were shown correctly.

Strange question… As Sandman mentioned, the “G” in GPS stands for “global”. (I guess the same applies to the “G” in GLONASS.) And you don’t need to pay monthly fees - as many people here (some even working in the electronics industry) liked to tell me until a while ago…