Graduate student thinking about starting to work here

Hi all

As the title says, I am soon graduating with MBA here and would like to know your opinions about salary in Taipei. I have around 1-2 years of working experience, so I am not going to be completely fresh out of uni but also nothing amazing.

How much would you recommend? I saw a poll for a comfortable salary but… you know… there is no way I will get 100k haha.

Also, how is the tax working here? I saw some mentions of 18% for the first half a year - does it even happen if you studied here and switched to a job right away?

I will be glad for any contribution haha, thanks!

$60000-70000 is what I’d expect starting out.

It depends. You’ll get it back anyways.

My last employer took 18% for revenge despite me working for him for 2 years.

He was salty cause I sued him.

Hope springs eternal in the human breast.

1 Like

where are you from?
what is your bachelor’s in?
do you speak Chinese ?

these factors influence your employment opportunities in Taiwan, salary, as well as the opportunity cost vis a vis returning to your home country.

over the years i have learned TW is a life style choice, not a career choice. maybe you will have more earning power and opportunities in your home country or somewhere else in the world. these are things to consider seriously.

Ooof, that’s harsh.

Sadly, not from an English speaking country lol. Czech Rep.
As for my Bachelor’s, it’s in tourism/business/English.
My Chinese is not suitable for a working environment now but I still keep learning, hopefully, will get there one day.

I get the “lifestyle not a career path” but since I am here, I would like to try my best to stay here longer before anything else. I won’t force it though, if I won’t succeed, I guess that’s what was meant to be.