Grammar Gods avanti!

So I have started looking at language schools in Bournemouth. Aside from the insulting issue of not having a CELTA I have an interview Thursday. I am having a mild wobble and have been given the interview questions. If you have time would you check them out and give me your thoughts on the answers…?

1. What are the 4 key skills involved for learners of a foreign language?
  2. Give an example of the second conditional.
  3. Breifly describe the organisation of the phonemic chart.
  4. Briefly explain the difference between the uses of ‘will’ and ‘going to’ AND ‘I’m living in Bournemouth’ and ‘I live in Bournemouth.’

I do have some answers of my own, but I’d like to pick all your brains too!

Thanks,
Tomly.

[quote=“TomHill”]

4. Briefly explain the difference between the uses of ‘will’ and ‘going to’ AND ‘I’m living in Bournemouth’ and ‘I live in Bournemouth.’[/quote]

5. I assume they mean reading, writing, listening and speaking, not shoplifting, breaking into girls’ dorms, getting lost on public transport and complaining about British food.

6. ‘Mr DOS, if I were you, I’d think about the effect your fashion choices have on your student re-reg bonus.’

7. Dey is have open vowels on the top left arranged by where your tongue is when you say 'em, diphthongs on the top right and then the consonants are arranged according to how they are articulated (plosives, fricatives, and stuff). Brownie points for saying ‘You mean Adrian Underhill’s chart of English phonemes, from Sound Foundations?’ Don’t be smart-arsed about it though: he probably only has a DELTA and doesn’t know much about phonology.

8. Simply, and in native speaker convo, the lines may be blurred:
    will: a plan just decided, an offer, a tentative plan
    going to: definite plan or arrangement
    ‘I’m living in Bournemouth’ implies a temporary or unusual situation of whatever duration. It would be odd to use it without a time adverb or other expression.
    ‘I live in Bournemouth.’ implies a permanent, habitual situ.

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“TomHill”]

4. Briefly explain the difference between the uses of ‘will’ and ‘going to’ AND ‘I’m living in Bournemouth’ and ‘I live in Bournemouth.’[/quote]

5. I assume they mean reading, writing, listening and speaking, not shoplifting, breaking into girls’ dorms, getting lost on public transport and complaining about British food.

6. ‘Mr DOS, if I were you, I’d think about the effect your fashion choices have on your student re-reg bonus.’

7. Dey is have open vowels on the top left arranged by where your tongue is when you say 'em, diphthongs on the top right and then the consonants are arranged according to how they are articulated (plosives, fricatives, and stuff). Brownie points for saying 'You mean Adrian Underhill’s chart of English phonemes, from Sound Foundations? Don’t be a smart-arsed about it though: he probably only has a DELTA and doesn’t know much about phonology.

‘I’m living in Bournemouth’ implies a temporary or unusual situation of whatever duration. It would be odd to use it without a time adverb or other expression.
    ‘I live in Bournemouth.’ implies a permanent, habitual situation.[/quote]

Well, I love you. Thanks a bazzillion.

Oh, OH! Buttercup, you crack me up! I sprayed girl scout cookies on my keyboard! Oh, and trully eggsilent answer!

I’d thought I’d give it a go, being a non-native speaker with years of (sometimes useless) grammar coaching under the belt.

But, I can’t beat this.

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“TomHill”]

7. Dey is have open vowels on the top left arranged by where your tongue is when you say 'em, diphthongs on the top right and then the consonants are arranged according to how they are articulated (plosives, fricatives, and stuff). Brownie points for saying ‘You mean Adrian Underhill’s chart of English phonemes, from Sound Foundations?’ Don’t be smart-arsed about it though: he probably only has a DELTA and doesn’t know much about phonology.

Wow!! :notworthy: :notworthy:

I nominate Mlle Tasse de Beurre for the newly created award of Forumosa MVP.

Master Vole Puncher?

Master Vole Puncher?[/quote]

Mighty Volatile Pixie

[

The first one could also mean that you are planning to live in some backwater village with plumbing.

[quote=“Bubba 2 Guns”][

did you know bournemouth was the happiest place in england? 82% of residents say they are happy…

[quote=“the bear”]did you know bournemouth was the happiest place in england? 82% of residents say they are happy…[/quote]People in Bournemouth also go out shopping in their slippers and take their pork pies for walks on a lead.

…and then they change into CATS!!!

Um, basic stuff, gang, but thanks for the comments.

No. I’m too lazy and don’t have any Chinese IMEs round here. Sorry.

It’s a picture, with phonemic symbols of English grouped by how/where they are produced. As to how you might use it, the only limit is your imagination! The BBC has a clickable one. Great if you have an computer and projector/IWB in class. ‘ooo’ ‘aii’ ‘eee’!

Yes, basic stuff, and relevant questions for the job, unlike the questions I had to answer to get into teachers training college in NZ. Well, I never actually got in - tried two years running but failed (and badly). I wasn’t able to hide my distaste for the ignorant left-wing loonies interviewing me. The questions were all designed to see how much you could cringe as a whitey and apologise for being male, hetero and white. Shocking stuff.

As well you should! Loathsome little snails that you are.

As well you should! Loathsome little snails that you are.[/quote]

You uncaring bovine creature! Do you know how hard it is for a chap like me to live in a world without cavalry charges and empire building, a world where grown men wear baseball caps (and inside damn it)? I should abduct some scientists and force them to build me a time machine.

OK I clicked the phonemic chart. Wow, is it ever lousy. First of all it isn’t one chart it is two (or three). Second it doesn’t graphically illustrate the difference between vowels the way that the traditional vowel chart does. And third you don’t need a chart of that nature to teach consonants, you need a basic cross section of the vocal organs.

Sorry, but no go.

[quote=“bob”]OK I clicked the phonemic chart. Wow, is it ever lousy. First of all it isn’t one chart it is two (or three). Second it doesn’t graphically illustrate the difference between vowels the way that the traditional vowel chart does. And third you don’t need a chart of that nature to teach consonants, you need a basic cross section of the vocal organs.

Sorry, but no go.[/quote]

It’s simply a picture out of a book. It’s not a bad book, with some good ideas for activities. Which traditional vowel chart, anyway?

Aiyo, it’s just fer Tommer’s interview, I’m certainly not debating phonology and pronunciation pedogogy on flob. Not when it’s ‘Cajun Chicken’ day in the canteen.

Yes, and shockingly few of us could have done it nearly as well! Hats off, Buttercup (especially inside the building)!

I just wanted to quote that.

Tommers, you realise these are just starter Qs? The interviewer will go on to ask:

1. Can you explain a technique you have used for improving listening skills?
  2. What’s the difference between zero and first conditional?
  3. Do you use the phonemic chart in class? Why? Why Not? Can you describe an activity you have used successfully, blahblah.
  4. When do we use going to and when do we use the present continuous when talking about future plans?