Grammar Gods avanti!

Interview over. Sneaky bastard DID ask me about the zero conditional vs second conditional and also mixed conditionals, and about going to vs present continuous. Lucky I knew my shit. He was impressed to hear the words… ‘Adrian Underhill’s…’ as well. Thanks for the heads up Buttercup.

Waiting for that call back…

[quote=“TomHill”]Interview over. Sneaky bastard DID ask me about the zero conditional vs second conditional and also mixed conditionals, and about going to vs present continuous. Lucky I knew my shit. He was impressed to hear the words… ‘Adrian Underhill’s…’ as well. Thanks for the heads up Buttercup.

Waiting for that call back…[/quote]
Glad to hear that it went OK. Good luck.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“TomHill”]Interview over. Sneaky bastard DID ask me about the zero conditional vs second conditional and also mixed conditionals, and about going to vs present continuous. Lucky I knew my shit. He was impressed to hear the words… ‘Adrian Underhill’s…’ as well. Thanks for the heads up Buttercup.

Glad to hear that it went OK. Good luck.[/quote]

No probs. Woohoo! Seaside f****!

But that was the wrong shit. The correct shit would have been "What percentage of the language is postulated in any conditional (ball park figure - give it a go) and what benefit is to be derived from labelling them anyway?

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“joesax”][quote=“TomHill”]Interview over. Sneaky bastard DID ask me about the zero conditional vs second conditional and also mixed conditionals, and about going to vs present continuous. Lucky I knew my shit. He was impressed to hear the words… ‘Adrian Underhill’s…’ as well. Thanks for the heads up Buttercup.

Glad to hear that it went OK. Good luck.[/quote]

No probs. Woohoo! Seaside f****![/quote]

I got the impression that these were two clueless white guys with a quality business, some celta’s and a whole lot of blind guessing. He couldn’t name the IWB suppliers when I asked him a follow up question, and I felt like I was giving him teaching help when I answered some of his questions. All positives. He worried me when he said that his partner and he had drawn the conclusion that error correction should be constant and obvious. I mean, OUCH, right. But they can be shown the subtle continuous approach I think. Also they seem to favour a lot of observations of teachers styles, which signals clueless guys tapped into a good financial resource. Its German students, 11-19, so I figure this could be lucrative if these guys can whip themsleves into a better shape.

One curious question he asked me:

If a kid made a pronunciation mistake like ‘choc-o-late’ and used 3 syllables instead of two, how would you correct them? I told him that these kids are teenagers, and you must consider how best to tell certain teenagers piffling details. Young kids, make it a joke. Older kids… think about their level.

All DOSs are clueless fuckheads: they either can’t teach for shit and will ruin your day that way.

‘Uh, Melody says you don’t teacher grammar’

or they are teachers and so have no clue about management and cannot organise anything or deal with personnel issues with any degree of integrity.

‘Uh, I know I’m being evil because I used to be a teacher but I don’t care because I want the money and the perceived status that this laughable job gives me.’

The key is to recognise that DOSs are glorified book monitors and the pinnacle of their term is allocating classrooms. The apex of his career is £19000 and an egg mayonnaise stained tie. This is it, for him. The end of the line. All that remains open to him in terms of professional options is organising homestays for Italian teens, or noncing it up in Cambodia. You, teacher, on the other hand are a shining soul who is merely temporarily financially embarrassed/mentally ill/underachieving/interested in Euro-fanny/cock, all of which are less shameful than sitting in a dirty office on a cold February morning, trying to catch out a professional/social superior with grammar questions.

What’s wrong with using three syllables to pronounce ‘chocolate’? My gran from Shetland pronounced it that way all the time. I wouldn’t correct it at all. As long as the syntax was acceptable.

That’s the beauty of the English language: it’s inherent subjectivity. The continually evolving trickle down effect of a myriad of linguistic precursors.

You should have asked him why the Angles pronounce ‘Tomato’ as if there is an R in there somewhere.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Break a leg, Tom, I’m rootin’ 4U.