Grammar site?

Doe anybody know a site that gives the Chinese for grammar terms from English e.g. ‘Tense’ ‘emphatic’, ‘auxilliary’ (as in verb). Most dictionaries give you the common meanings, without specialized terms used in English or their corresponding words used in English-language teaching in Chinese.

1 Like

You are probably way beyond my level. But this one has more usefulness than say google. Might still be too basic for your needs however.

1 Like

Any idea whether it uses the same terminology used in schools in Taiwan? I’m looking for something where I can say to students “this is called [grammatical term in Mandarin]” and they’ll recognise the term from their English classes, or at least it would be the same as they’ll come across later. Like “noun” is “mingci”- but for every term.

A poster provided a comprehensive list of Chinese terms in the past, but I can’t find it. It was very useful

http://www.chioulaoshi.org/BGreek/glossary.html

The above includes more that the below.

1 Like

What are you trying to do?

I’ve found with google you can type in the word in context and it gives a better Mandarin definition. Like I used the word “bangs” the other day in a class. Normally the Mandarin would translate to a loud noise but I meant in the sense of a girls fringe. Then again the kids in that class have gotten used to me using words with multiple meanings. Now if only I could get the parents to understand the same thing…

I guess to connect concepts students already know in Chinese and English terms.

Just general teaching of Grade Three High School. When I look up terms I’m not sure they’re the ones they have gotten or will get in the future. At these levels I can usually explain it, but it’s nice to know the terms they’re familiar with or will encounter.

I would say the issue is, is that Chinese grammar doesn’t translate 1:1. You may find an easier time explaining it instead.

1 Like

Here’s a list of teaching terms which @bob posted on the board in November 2007 (I can’t guarantee it because I don’t know enough). They’re written in Hanyu Pinyin. I think @bob’s list and the short list that @tando linked to (above, in this thread) complement each other, because each seems to lack something that the other supplies. @tando also linked to a long, sophisticated-looking list, which looks, like, 'way above my pay grade. :slight_smile:

If you can’t read the characters in @tando’s lists, then by translating them in Google Translate you can get them converted to Hanyu Pinyin at the bottom of the Chinese side.

Hope this helps, or at least does no harm.

1 Like

Thanks, both to you and Tando- that’s exactly what I was looking for.

1 Like

You’re welcome.