Grandma Nitti's Kitchen (CLOSED)

Interesting. The city made it clear restaurants weren’t wanted on the other side, as well.

Yup. Before they moved and went upscale. It was a cozy hole-in-the-wall in an alley behind the Technology Building and a place you could go to in the pre-Internet days to connect with other foreigners. They had a bulletin board for teaching jobs, etc. You could get Western food there for cheap. My first meal there, in 1990, was pancakes and hash browns.

2 Likes

I lived for some time in Kinmen Street and a few weeks back a coworker took me over that area. It has sprung a lot of coffee shops and small restaurants, very nice and affordable fare. I was pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

Any recommendations?

I was trying to pinpoint the street on Google maps, but I can´t here. Guess I´ll have to do a picture report.

1 Like

I’ve noticed also but never in the area long enough to try.

Not to bash Nitti, but Auntie Nia’s is much better breakfast. Nitti always kind of met the requirement and friendly atmosphere for people and dogs, but Nia food is great.

Wonder if new Nitti is pet friendly?

And reasonably priced with actual service. Ah the old days.

“Friendly atmosphere “? Were we at the same place??

Does this place have English news papers, say ft and nyt ?

Only place I currently know in Taipei serving English newspapers is woolomoolo, would be awesome to find some alt breakfast places

I doubt if their budget allows. They target the budget customer

? So, not sure how much a intl. newspaper in Taiwan is but I doubt its more than a 100NT.

FT is available at Avenue on Anhe Road. It’s not a breakfast place though—they open at 11:00 am.

Guy

Their Google Maps entry has a worrying picture of two dogs wandering around what looks like a stock room, so probably. Funny, I remember a cat that used to lie around the place.

Yeah, the old place was a wee bit too doggo-friendly for me.
I was always thinking in the back of me mind “One of these brunches they’re goin to run out of bacon and then…:eek:

NYT was NT$130. Maybe up to NT$150 now.

I don’t know what’s happening but it doesn’t look like they’re open. Maybe it’s going to be only a bakery or something.

20190318_133552

20190318_133552~2

On their FB looks like it’s closed Sunday and Monday

1 Like

I really liked it; they used to do a mexican seafood dish which I enjoyed. Coffee was good.

So it’s gone forever, huh?

Gone forever. I don’t think they would have survived what with all the brunch places that have opened up in Taipei, like The Diner, Second Floor, Woolloomooloo, Bea’s, The Whale, etc.

That’s good to know there are more brunch places now. This used to be my go to.

Also on another note can’t believe KGB close by there is still open. I’m always shocked when a foreign run restaurant makes it more than a year.