Grass fed and free-range - where to buy?

I just moved to Taipei and before I moved I was eating grass-fed beef or lamb nearly everyday as part of my diet (high in good fats/low carb).

I have been eating NZ and Brazilian steaks and NZ lamb where they are nearly all grass fed and not pumped with growth hormones and antibiotics and other junk. I’ve bought the lamb at Costco but that’s from Oz and it’s not highly reliable that its grass fed.

Anyone know where I can find grass fed beef and/or lamb? Also where I can buy in bulk and I can customize the thickness of the steak?

I also like lamb shoulders, legs and beef tongue!

All Aussie beef and lamb is organic grass fed meat. There is no need to supplement feed except during a drought when they supply hay and the occasional rescue meal of feed, but its not the norm. Feedlots don’t exist AFAIK. Dairy cows do get to snack on feed while they are being milked.

Australia produces far more grain fed than New Zealand does, with lots of suppliers exporting grain fed.

Virtually all NZ beef is grass fed. There is only one supplier able to do export volumes of grain fed.

As for finding NZ beef in Taiwan, I think it is a big market for ANZCO foods. So maybe try contacting them and asking where you can buy from?

mmmm, NZ lamb. If you can find where I can buy this I’d appreciate it, cheers bro
and NZ beef too.

Thanks everyone!

I’m going to have my assistant call ANZCO in Taiwan tomorrow.

I found two types of NZ beef in Mayfull, I’ve cooked one up and it was astonishingly bad. I am going to try the other one today.

I just went to Carre Four and they had some NZ steaks, kinda.

Problem is with all the pre-cut steaks they are too thin, I like my steaks thick.

I went to a Halal Butcher on Heping Sec 1 and they had a tonne of beef from Taiwan, but I don’t know if those are grass-fed or not, anyone know?

I do question whether Ozzie beef is grain fed as I’ve seen a lot of Aussie beef advertised as “grains fed 200 days” or whatever. Its like the trendy (yet unhealthy) thing to do. Lots of Wagyu beef is from Oz and I doubt those are grass fed. Also I"ve looked at a lot of Aussie steaks and they don’t have the same look as a grass fed beef, very very white fat.

No feedlots in Australia? “There are around 450 accredited feedlots throughout Australia”
feedlots.com.au/images/Brief … dustry.pdf

All Taiwan beef is grass fed. It’s not a huge industry here and the price is reasonable.

The Taiwan Beef Industry Progress Association info here appears to state otherwise, and lists a variety of non-grass ingredients in local cattle feed, such as corn, barley, molasses, etc…

450 feedlots in Oz? where the fuck do you get that from? I know of 0 feedlots in Oz, and I would say if there were one, they would feed cows for a week while waiting for a ship to arrive. Halal cow for you? Fucking wanker. live cow exports suck. Totally. far better to have them killed in Oz by people with real kill skills than shipping live cows to Indonesia for the fucking Eid.

anyway, what’s wrong with feeding a cow corn for a week? you sound like you don’t actually know what end of a cow the shit comes from.

Lamb is a filthy animal. I wouldn’t touch it with my stick. However, beef is beautiful if properly raised and prepared.

If you’re looking to Oz or New Zealand for your beef, you’re looking in the wrong direction. Look to the north to Hyogo Prefecture in Japan. If you want proper marbling and lower fat-melt temperatures, you need to massage that beautiful beast and feed it the right brand of beer.

You might get 450 kilos of good Kobe beef from one magnificent animal, but if you really want the best of the best, you must go to Japan to visit Tomo Nakayama’s farm just east of Utsukuyaki. Hes the very best in the world and all of his competitors know it. From one of his virgin bulls, you can get about sixteen incredible steaks; throw the rest away if you really care about quality. He not only massages his prize bulls, and feeds them beer, he also sleeps with them (in his bed with 1500 count sheets), and wanks them off to a Jim Carrey film (Dumb and Dumber) just before slaughter.

[quote=“urodacus”]450 feedlots in Oz? where the fuck do you get that from? I know of 0 feedlots in Oz, and I would say if there were one, they would feed cows for a week while waiting for a ship to arrive. Halal cow for you? Fucking wanker. live cow exports suck. Totally. far better to have them killed in Oz by people with real kill skills than shipping live cows to Indonesia for the fucking Eid.

anyway, what’s wrong with feeding a cow corn for a week? you sound like you don’t actually know what end of a cow the shit comes from.[/quote]

I placed the statement of ‘450 feedlots’ in quotation marks and provided a link that goes directly to a fact document from the Australian Lot Feeders Association. I would suggest you take a look at that document and website before you make more comments about the state of the Australian feedlot industry. :wink:

And here’s an example of an Australian feedlot that has been running for the last 14 years.
weeklytimesnow.com.au/articl … perty.html

OK, I stand corrected. My knowledge of the Australian beef industry (from working a few times a year on a hereford stud during calving season) is 20-25 years out of date, and back then there were basically no feedlots. Now I learn that there are 450 or so, and it’s a terrible practice, and i have just turned vegan. Thanks for that.

I guess its not that surprising considering the massive drought Australia went through for ten years.

I read this entire thread and learned nothing.

Stores like Welcome and Jason’s and the others sometimes have grass-fed and free-range. I like to buy grass-fed meats and free range chicken and eggs.

Taiwan friend says can’t rely on labeling. So wondering if there are certain brands or types or other reliable ways to find the real stuff.

I wonder if there are any farm-direct sales here. Back home some people lay in half or a whole cow or hog right off the farm. You just need some freezer space

The Danshui Carrefour recently added an egg shelf section called something like free-range or cruelty-free, or along those lines. I buy from that shelf, although of course I’m skeptical of how much I can trust the labelling.

There are usually eggs in the market labelled ‘土雞蛋’ , which I assume means they’re from backyard chickens. I have met people who keep modest flocks of chickens for eggs and meat. However, as mentioned, it’s hard to tell if the labelling is truthful.

I’m on the hunt again for grass-fed beef. Also wondering if it’s worth considering “organic” beef in Taiwan.

Any recommendation on stores or brands to look for in stores?

and now - is there a place, or are there places, to find grass fed beef?

I buy grass fed beef at organic stores, like Jian 健康食彩.

I have also bought butter from grass fed cows at Costco.

1 Like