Grateful Dead

OK, I know this thread will have very limited appeal… but, like black jellybeans, the people who like the Grateful Dead, really like the Grateful Dead. I post this for those people.

Just thought I’d share this site for anyone who wants to download (legally, of course) live Grateful Dead music in mp3 and other files. In addition to music by the Dead, you can download live music by Widespread Panic, Keller Williams, all of the individual members of the Grateful Dead, Kingfish, Old and In the Way, Phish, String Cheese Incident and many other great bands.

Check it out!

The dead were not that great. They were never known as a good studio band but live they were ok, not on the same level as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin or even the Stones. But there are some songs like truckin’ and Casey Jones that are interesting to listen to.

[quote=“Tigerman”]I post this for those people.
[/quote]
It doesn’t get much clearer than that. Why, then

[quote=“Grasshopper”]The dead were not that great.[/quote]?

When what you meant to say, I’m sure, was “I don’t think the Dead were that great.”

I mean, I would imagine that if I were to post something like “The Rosy Guns are nothing more than a half-assed hair band that sound like utter shite,” you might be a little perturbed.
Music is subjective Grasshopper.

“We’re not worthy, We’re not worthy”

In fact, there’s your band’s name right there.

That’s a common misconception… the Dead were in fact very good musicians (even if not everyone was able to enjoy their sound) and everyone in the music world was well-aware of this. Do you know how many people played with the Dead? Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis, Branford Marsalis, Bruce Hornsby, Bob Dylan, Rambling Jack Elliot, Stephen Stills, David Crosby, Neil Young, Warren Zevon, Steve Miller, Mike Bloomfield, the Allman Bros., Steve Winwood, The Band… (I can go on and on with this)… Do you know how many people the Dead played for? Did you know that Jerry Garcia produced and played on the Jefferson Airplanes’ first album (uncredited)… ever hear the steel guitar on CSN&Y’s Teach Your Children? That’s Jerry. Ever heard Jerry play the banjo? Ever heard Phil Lesh conduct the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra?

You might not “get” the Dead, but they were/are “musicians musicians” and have always been well-regarded by other musicians. Did you know that the Dead did the drum music for the movie Apocalyps Now and the music for the modern version of the Twilight Zone?

Do you know how many bands the Dead started and or helped along?.. such as the New Riders of the Purple Sage and Kingfish…

Well, I didn’t really want to defend the Dead. But here is what Bob Dylan said when Jerry died:

A little piece of me died when Jerry passed away. :cry:

Portland, Maine, March 31, 1985, the band reached a quiet moment between songs towards the end of the show, the crowd is curious as to what is coming next, and then out of nowhere Jerry hits the first few licks of “Day Tripper.” I’ve NEVER heard a crowd erupt like that. :smiley:

With most other bands, you pretty much know what they are going to play night in and night out. With the Dead, there were so many surprises. It made for a very special live event.

Just to add to the list of musicians who thought well enough of the Grateful Dead to join them on stage:

Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis, Branford Marsalis, Bruce Hornsby, Bob Dylan, Rambling Jack Elliot, Stephen Stills, David Crosby, Neil Young, Warren Zevon, Steve Miller, Mike Bloomfield, the Allman Bros., Steve Winwood, The Band, Sting, John Fogerty, the Neville Brothers, Joan Baez, Jefferson Airplane, Bo Diddley, Paul Simon, Elvin Bishop, Suzanne Vega, Hot Tuna, Hall & Oates, Jon Hendricks, the Beach Boys, Boz Scaggs, Spencer Davis, Papa John Creach, Huey Lewis, Paul Butterfield, Neal Cassady, Etta James… and of course I can go on and on… :smiley:

And here is an interesting bit of trivia:

In August 1969, approximately 400,000 people attended the concert known as Woodstock in upstate New York.

In late Summer 1973, the Grateful Dead, the Allman Bros., and the Band played for a crowd of 600,000 people at Watkins Glenn.

didn’t some skydiver get burned doing a trick at that concert?

That reminds me of a strange but true thing–That comedian, Sinbad, is actually funny. Many people don’t know that.

I never got into the Dead until I saw a video of them all playing and they were all skeletons. So I went out and bought the Touch of Gray CD and I like it. I used to have a Jerry Garcia album.

[quote=“tigerman”]
Just thought I’d share this site for anyone who wants to download (legally, of course) live Grateful Dead music in mp3 and other files. [/quote]

Can you let me know how to actually download music using the site? It’s too hard for me…

[quote=“twocs”][quote=“tigerman”]
Just thought I’d share this site for anyone who wants to download (legally, of course) live Grateful Dead music in mp3 and other files. [/quote]

Can you let me know how to actually download music using the site? It’s too hard for me…[/quote]

1. Go to the site.
  2. Click on “Grateful Dead” under the "MP3 Archives on the left side of the screen.
  3. A chart of different shows will appear… click on the far right column of a show that looks interesting.
  4. A chart will appear with a glowing red dot near the bottom. Click on the glowing red dot.
  5. A list of mp3 files will come up. Click on the one that you’d like to download.

That’s it! :smiley: