Gravedig warning

A gravedig is when someone makes a post in a thread that has not been posted in for years, especially when the post does not add anything substantial to the previous conversation.

3 Likes

When the conversation of the topic dies. The other topics that have conversations eventually bury it. But when it has been dead for a long time and someone posts then it goes back up to the top…thus, digging the grave.

3 Likes

I think even one year could be a grave dig if someone is responding directly to a poster who is no longer active. Or to a question that is no longer relevant…I.e. last night’s earthquake

2 Likes

According to forum software, it’s a week.

1 Like

So even Temp is subjected to gravedig!

1 Like

Is there a statistic for which members are the most prolific at grave digging? Maybe there should be a special " Ace Necromancer" status afforded to them.

10 Likes

99% of the time it’s done by newbies (the ones that make one post asking a question and then never bother to say “thank you” to the posters who respond) or spammers.

3 Likes

Gravedig warnings or concerns are a bit ironic especially when the default search brings up gravedigs as some of the top results (I was searching for something to do in Taichung this week).

There must be a better way to be concerned with Gravedigs.

History is quite frequently relevant, and might bring back some old members.

3 Likes

Wait did you just gravedig this thread to comment on whether we should continue to gravedig threads? :thinking:

Guy

13 Likes

Not as ironic as grave-digging a gravedig thread. That’s more than ironic; that’s meta.

7 Likes

Maybe the admins should consider adding an extra bold warning if someone is about to gravedig a thread about gravedigging :grin:

3 Likes

Nonono this is the “real” grave digger:

Yeah having grave dig badges would be fun. But I guess it’s a thing that the discourse software would need to implement. I didn’t find anything in a quick search, though.

If/when I dig a grave, it’s because I’m not going to start a new thread when an old one exists that highly correlates to something/some news that is found.
One nice thing of grave-digging is seeing all the ghosts (posters) from the past who may or may not be still around.

6 Likes

Awesome.

I am not a big fan of the term gravedigging. I prefer ‘reviving of old topics/threads’. Gravedigging sounds like someone is looking to steal something from old threads.

I don’t see a big problem in reviving old topics or starting new threads as long as the topic is interesting/helpful to more than just the person who does the reviving/starting of the thread. We want to avoid cluttering the main page with too many threads that are meaningless, right?

I often prefer reviving old topics that are still relative today over starting similar new ones, because it makes it easier to scroll up and see what posters a few years ago thought about that topic. Makes for nice comparisons. Also brings back memories, often of posters that have left this site a long time ago.

9 Likes

Maybe we can use the term Formosan necromancy

1 Like

Writes its own custom title!

Next regular to gravedig and old thread should be given the punishment of having the title “Forumosan Necormancer” for a month

I’m glad you’re not the Nickname Czar!
:joy: