Gravy mix

The little packets of powder that you mix in water and heat it up to make gravy, where do they sell those? any luck at carriefour?

You’ll find those at Breeze on Fuxing or City Super in the basement of the Far East Hotel on Dung Hua South.

Jason’s has a variety of gravies.

bobepine

I cooked dinner one afternoon for an ex-cook on the Alaska Pipeline. We were in my motorcoach high in the Blue Mountains of Southeastern Washington. I had arrived early and was busily cooking our BBQ steak dinner. I was short of time and fell back to an old favorite for the baked potatoes and gravy that I have mentioned on the Food Forum.
Just take a can of mushroom soup and you’ll need 2-3 nice local (non-button) style mushrooms. Sautee the sliced and/or chopped mushrooms in as little milk or cream as you can get by with. (Cream is better)
Add the sauteed mushrooms to the soup, straight from the can, and cook until it is bubbly, stirring it all the time.
Add some garlic, salt and pepper to taste.
This is a hell of alot better than gravy from powder. After all, to make really good gravy, you will have to cook some serious meat and spend the better part of an aftrnoon before you have it done.
At the end, my professional cook asked me how I had made the gravy. I told him. He responded that I should have packaged this and made my fortune in Alaska. Needless to say, he loved it and I didn’t make my fortune in Alaska. Cheap, quick and damn delicious. Try it. It will become a favorite.

Where can I get mushroom soups? are they available at welcome? also what kind of local mushroom? Do you mean the black one or the white one that is used in most western dishes?

I just bought some brown gravy mix at my favorite DIY store. It’s in Zhong Ye.

DIY
YI AN st 118lane #14
Zhong He

02-8660-8895

Open 10 to 9pm

Wellcome, Geant and just about everywhere else. Very common. I like to get 2-3 of the brown (not the white button kind but those work too) fresh mushrooms from the vegetable stand, cut them up, and saute with very little milk. Added to the soup, it makes a really quick and great gravy.

G&G deli up in Tianmu has gravy packets too.

You can always buy a can of Campbell’s mushroom soup in a can. I find it at Wellcome and Carrefour. Sometimes I buy A big chunk of pork and just stew it for a couple of hours in a can or two of that and some water. Add firm veggies to it directly and eat like a stew or bake some spuds and have it on them.

If you roast meat much it’s handy to have a simple butter/flour/salt/pepper/Maggie/spices mix in a paste. Keep it in your fridge until you need it. Add a good table spoon to the meat juice in a seperate pan and stir vigorously over high heat for a few minutes until it’s gravy. Practice makes perfect!

The mix stuff is good too. I like to mix my way with store bought stuff for better volume and satisfactory results!

Damn, gravy is gooooood! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I do the mushroom soup thing too. I add garlic, olive oil, onions, sometimes a bit of bacon, the soup can and water, and cook it to a consistency suitable for pouring over meat, or for use as a quick ‘n’ easy pasta sauce, which goes especially well with salmon, shrimp or chicken.

This just isn’t the same thing as a nice brown gravy that goes well with steak or Swedish meatballs, however. Here’s a recipe I got online and might try tonight:

GRAVY:
Drippings from cooking the meatballs or other beef
2 tbsp. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. instant coffee
1 c. light cream

Stir flour into drippings in skillet; add light cream and coffee. Heat and stir until gravy thickens.

(In the Swedish meatballs recipe it calls for meatballs to be returned to this, then cover, cook slowly about 30 minutes.)

EDIT: I made this and it tasted OFF. The UHT cream I got at Wellcome just wasn’t right, had a funny, sweet flavor, not sure how to describe it. Perhaps someone else can comment more intelligently, but I won’t try this again unless I can find some better cream.

Another idea -melt butter in a pan over low heat. Add some spices…thyme, sage, savory. Sprinkle on some flour and wisk it to form a paste. Wisk in a can or two or chicken or beef broth. Voila. Add a little Worcestershire sauce if you like.

To impress, you can also add a bit of wine… white or red, but if you add red with chicken stock, you’ll have purple gravy. :slight_smile: But you can use a few drops of ‘browning’ to correct it. You can get ‘browning’ at Citisuper. It’s a handy thing to have in the kitchen.

I saw some guy used some flour and onion and browing sauce (what is this stuff? can soy sauce be used?) and butter and some chicken base. He would fry the onion with the butter, then add flour, and chicken base and browing sauce. Then add water. Then you get that brown stuff.

unfortuantely, soy sauce won’t work as a substitue. And the ‘browning’ sauce is only for colour. It doesn’t enhance the flavour but as they say, ‘We eat first with our eyes.’

Like you saw the guy do, you can also fry onion or mushrooms in the butter first if you like. Then add about 2/3 of the chicken stock to the pan. You should add the flour to the remainder of the chick stock in a jar and shake vigourously so it is combined completely. No lumps. Then stir that mixture into the pan and continue to cook and stir until it thickens.