Gravy mixes?

Without paying stupid money can you buy gravy granules here? Or OXO cubes or even Bisto.
I have been using demi-glaze but it costs 320NT. ( Which is stupid money!)

Any tips for making thick beef gravy?

Iā€™d like to know, too.

[quote=ā€œWolvesMonā€]Without paying stupid money can you buy gravy granules here? Or OXO cubes or even Bisto.
I have been using demi-glaze but it costs 320NT. ( Which is stupid money!)

Any tips for making thick beef gravy?[/quote]Jasonā€™s has gravy granules I think. IIRC, theyā€™re still twice as expensive as in Blighty, but not quite as bad as that demi-glaze.

Not too keen on gravy granules myself. I prefer to whip up an onion gravy.

I have difficulty even finding beef bullion. A bud who used to cook on the Alaska pipeline job a few years ago told me of a cheap and quick way to make gravy. Iā€™ve mentioned it before but try mushroom soup. Thin it slightly with milk or cream. Add some drained ground beef (already browned) and your good to go with gravy. You can make many different blends. Think about possibilities. Maybe more sliced mushrooms, etc. I know itā€™s not the real deal but beef gravy here is difficult and time consuming. My last ā€œcare packageā€ from home included 2 big bottles of Beef Gravy Mix from Costco in the States. Gone now, so improvisation is the key.
I often get turkey wings at RT Mart and strip the bones, chop the meat and throw it in to the gravy. Cheap and easy.

Spend your money on good butter instead.

Have a good frying pan and a whisk available. The following applies only if youā€™re looking to make a wheat-floured based gravy:
[ul]In the same frying pan youā€™ve just fried whatever, bring to a quick boil a quarter cup of wine (white unless youā€™ve fried red meat - use red)
In the boiling wine, scrape off the odd bits of fried flesh and, if applicable, breading.
Reduce the wine until youā€™re convinced the panā€™s surface is smooth enough to run an inverted spatula over without bumping and splattering shit all over
Pour off the reduced wine mixture, save
Take your frying pan off the heat and wipe clean with a paper towel or a clean cloth towel.
Return the pan to the heat, turn it up to medium
Add the freshest unsalted butter you can lay your hands on, and reduce just until no more bubbles appear; turn the temp up to medium high
Add an equal (edited; thanks DB) weight of (perhaps seasoned) wheat flour, whisk it into the reduced butter thoroughly
Fry the (perhaps seasoned) wheat flour in the reduced butter for 3 minutes, or until the mixture turns light brown
Turn up the temperature to High (critical point here)
Whisk in stock or skim milk until you can see the fried flour mixture dissolve within the heavily whisked pan liquid
The gravy will continue to thicken; be prepared to add sufficient stock to thin it with this rule in mind: the gravy you wish to pour over your spuds will be about half again as thick as the gravy you finish cooking
Whisk contantly until the gravy begins to acquire a sheen like satin: add the wine mixture you poured off now
Whisk contantly until the gravy just boils, remove from heat.
Whisk for smoothness.
Ladle that shit out on your spud or whatever, and bask in the glory. Suck wine or whatever, plot a little revolution.
[/ul]

Ditto, so I bring back about 6-8 boxes of cubes from Mexico or the US every couple years, and keep them in the freezer. Same with gravy powders (yeah, I know, someone like me should make his own, but I have enough on my hands).

I do also use Campbellā€™s mushroom soup as a base for quick gravy or, more often, pasta sauce, just like you say. I often saute a bit of olive oil, garlic and onion first and then add that soup mix, and less water than indicated, or sometimes milk. You could add beef drippings, bacon drippings, cream or butter if you want.

Is homemade gravy that difficult, btw, Enigma? Just 1/8 to 1/4 c beef drippings plus flour whisked first in a roux, slowly whisk in beef broth to measure 2 cups, cook while whisking until thick and bubbly, season, maybe strain, and thatā€™s it. In theory. I still couldnā€™t be arsed, though ā€“ I guess Iā€™m not big on gravy anyway.

This video seems like a simpler approach of what @flike described

1 Like

ā€œChicken cubeā€ ? Are those the cubes used to make chicken stock?

Yes. My wife dismisses the cubes as MSG, but after reading a bit about bouillon cubes, it is a bit more sophisticated (and interesting) than that

1 Like