Great Childrens' Books

For the toddler set, Sandra Boynton has some great books, including The Going To Bed Book, But Not The Hippopotamus, Hippos Go Berserk, and Barnyard Dance.

My 6 and 9year old kids love the Narnia series, as well as books by E. Nesbit, Edward Eager, and Roald Dahl. E. Nesbit wrote The Railway Children, Five Children and It, and The Phoenix and the Carpet in the early 1900’s. Edward Eager’s books were published about 50 years later and include Half Magic and Seven-Day Magic. They are similar to the E. Nesbit books.

Our girl’s favorite book lately: The Best Word Book Ever by Richard Scarry.

I loved Richard Scarry when I was a kid. The books are full of detailed illustrations of cities, houses, boats, cars, planes, etc., all populated by pigs, cats, mice and other animals instead of people. So much to study, so much to explore, so much to learn. My sister in law says she never liked RS and neither did her two sons, because the books lack plot, but I suspect they didn’t like his books because she didn’t and they picked up on her boredom. But I love the books – the endless details to explore and the lovable animals – and so does my girl.

Here’s a larger image of one of his other books:
amazon.com/gp/reader/0394818 … eader-link

Some of my 3-yr old’s favs:

Hug
By Jez Alborough
Although this book contains only 3 words, we think it’s an absolutely adorable story about little Bobo. Toddlers can learn a great deal about emotions and helping others just from the expressive illustrations and storyline. We always end up giving each other great big hugs.

Time for Bed
By Mem Fox
Beautiful illustrations and perfect bedtime story.

I’m as Quick as a Cricket
By Audrey Wood
Beautiful illustrations by Don Wood. Learn about opposites and personalities.

The Little Train
By Lois Lenski
Great for train lovers. Very informative, nice story, and lovely illustrations.

Frederick
By Leo Lionni
Wonderful story and illustrations about the little mouse. I think I like this one more than my son, but he certainly asks a lot of questions about the pictures.

Nicky the Jazz Cat
By Carol Friedman
Introduce your child(ren) to jazz by reading along with Nicky the Jazz Cat and her musician friends. Fun and playful, you can read the story to your own groovy beat. We also received the cd, “Nicky’s Jazz for Kids” which has great tunes by various jazz musicians.

The Giving Tree
By Shel Silverstein
Such a sweet story.

Urashima and the Kingdom Beneath the Sea
Retold by Ralph F. McCarthy
Illustrations by Shiro Kasamatsu
This edition is in both Japanese and English.
Kodansha International Ltd. Copyright 1993. www.thejapanpage.com
Based on a Japanese magical legend about a young fisherman who visits the “Kingdom Beneath the Sea.” We love this story, despite what I feel is a sad ending. McCarthy’s retelling is beautiful, and Kasamatsu’s illustrations are gorgeous. I’m actually surprised how often my son asks me to read it, but I think it’s the rhyming and illustrations that captivate him most.

Plum
By Tony Minton
I admit I bought this book online judging by its cover. So pleased it does in fact have amazing illustrations. And the poems are so intriguing, funny, and imaginative. Makes for fun reading.

[quote=“honeybird”]Some of my 3-yr old’s favs:

Hug
By Jez Alborough
Although this book contains only 3 words, we think it’s an absolutely adorable story about little Bobo. Toddlers can learn a great deal about emotions and helping others just from the expressive illustrations and storyline. We always end up giving each other great big hugs.[/quote]

I saw that in Eslite, read it there with my girl and almost bought it. It is a nice book. Great illustrations of lots of animals including one truly lovable monkey child and I agree, it seems inevitable it would lead to lots of hugs and hapiness.

[quote]I’m as Quick as a Cricket
By Audrey Wood
Beautiful illustrations by Don Wood. Learn about opposites and personalities.[/quote]

We’ve got that one. It is nice. The version we have is a board book, which was great when she was younger as they’re pretty hard to destroy.

[quote]The Little Train
By Lois Lenski
Great for train lovers. Very informative, nice story, and lovely illustrations.[/quote]

Lois Lenski’s great. Her books date from the 50’s so they depict a quaint, innocent and outdated view of the world, in fitting soft pastel tones, but that’s much of their charm. We’ve got one of her books that takes you through the day of Farmer Small, feeding the animals, milking the cows, gathering eggs, running the tractor, etc. While living here in the city, I appreciate teaching my girl about that other world.

[quote]Frederick
By Leo Lionni
Wonderful story and illustrations about the little mouse. I think I like this one more than my son, but he certainly asks a lot of questions about the pictures.[/quote]

A classic. What a beautiful book and evidence, for those who don’t understand, that great childrens’ books are works of art that should be just as enjoyable for adults as they are for children. It’s too bad so many people don’t understand that and feed their kids watered down, hastily conceived, poorly written, poorly illustrated and commercial garbage.

I bought a great collection of children’s books at Eslite recently. It is called Harper Collins Treasury of Picture Book Classics. It includes twelve stories and was a great bargain at 900nt!

Some of the titles included are;

Pete’s a Pizza -William Steig
Caps for Sale - Esphyr Slobodkina
Harold and the Purple Crayon - Crockett Johnson
Crictor - Tomi Ungerer
Goodnight Moon Margert Wise Brown

Plus more

This list needs a lot more Dr. Seuss. Can’t beat the classic, and there hasn’t been a contemporary author yet that has been half as gifted.

My daughter is only 7 months old and she already has Green Eggs and Ham, Dr. Seuss’ ABC, and One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. Eventually her collection will expand to include lots more.

Dr. Seuss :notworthy:

Our latest discovery is Mo Willems, talented author of some hilarious books. Our two favorites so far are:

Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

Interactive story about a pigeon who dreams of driving a bus. The bus driver leaves for a while, asking the reader to be in charge of making sure the pigeon doesn’t drive the bus while he’s gone. The pigeon then tries every trick in the book to persuade the reader to let him drive the bus. He even has a crazy tantrum because he’s not allowed to drive the bus. My two kids just LOVE it. Of course my two-year old agreed to let the pigeon drive the bus the first time he asked, which I thought was soo cute…

Leonardo the Terrible Monster

A hilarious and touching story about a monster who just isn’t scary, no matter how hard he tries. He comes up with the idea to find “the most scaredy-cat kid in the whole world and scare the tuna salad out of him!” He researches and finally finds Sam. He scares Sam, who cries, but not because Leonardo scared him. Sam then goes on such a realistic rant about all the terrible things that have happened to him recently, ending with the fact that he has no friends. Leonardo then decides that instead of being a terrible monster, he will become a wonderful friend. Great book!!!

We found both of these books at an Eslite bookstore. Well worth the money!

No disrespect meant to Dr. Seuss: he produced lots of highly entertaining and enduring books and developed a cult following of devoted fans. I enjoyed his books as a kid and wouldn’t mind buying one or two for my girl. But the statement about no other contemporary (children’s book, I assume you meant) author being half as gifted is clearly false.

Take Caldecot winner Maurice Sendak, for instance:

or

Chris Van Allsburg

David Macauley

Arthur Yorinks and Richard Egielski

Mitsumasa Anno

Anthony Browne or Tove Jannson

Lane Smith or Margot Zemach

or countless other great authors and illustrators of childrens’ books. Seuss was good, but by no means should he be put on a pedestal to the exclusion of all the others who are just as worthy as he.

. . . and those are just a few living authors/illustrators (except Margot Zemach) that are as worthy as Seuss. Then there’s all the other greats who are no longer alive, such as. . .

Arthur Rackham (probably the greatest childrens’ book illustrator ever),
and E.B. White and Garth Williams, who were no slouches

Beatrix Potter

H.A. and Margret Rey; Kenneth Graham and Ernest Shepard

Brothers Grimm, Mark Twain, Robert Louis Stevenson, Louisa May Alcott, Hans Christian Anderson, Rudyard Kipling, Winnie the Pooh, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and on and on. . . The list of great childrens’ books, authors and illustrators is immense. No reason to stick with just one. :slight_smile:

I second “James and the Giant Peach”.

Captured my imagination.

Mordechi Richler
Jacob Two Two Meets the Hooded Fang

As a kid, I loved Santa Mouse,

and the Blueberry Pie Elf.

Oh, and here’s a page on some unusual kids’ books a friend just sent me this morning:

[color=violet]

and by ‘unusual’ I mean tasteless and offensive.
[/color]

Man, these are exciting days full of books in our household. Emily’s approaching 4 years old (three months away) and has an insatiable appetite for reading (and writing), in English and Chinese. She’s constantly sitting on the couch, or lying on the floor, or at the dinner table with a book open in front of her and is now reading aloud, in either language, calling mom or dad over from time to time to ask what a particular word means, then continuing through the book. No one’s pushing her. She’s eager to learn.

Admittedly, it gets burdensome at dinner sometimes, because she insists on reading a book almost every evening as she eats, so we sometimes have to tell her “no, I will not read to you now, I’m eating, you’ll have to wait.” And my wife sometimes would rather watch TV than read English books to her, which contain some lengthy and difficult vocabulary (eg., yesterday she was stumped by the word “pirouette” in a ballerina cat book).

But she has an insatiable appetite for books, so we keep feeding her what she craves. I read her a bedtime story almost every night (have done that practically since she was born), she owns well over 100 books, and we regularly acquire more, which is always a thrill for her. This weekend we visited the great public library beside Ta-an Park, returned 10 books and picked up 10 new ones.

While sitting on the library floor yesterday, rummaging the shelves for selections to bring home, I was shocked to learn how quickly she is learning. She was pulling various books off the shelves and handing them to me, many of which weren’t quite right, so I handed her one new book I had picked, which she had never seen before and she started to read:

Here is the blue sheep.
And here is the red sheep.
Here is the bath sheep.
And here is the bed sheep.
But where is the green sheep?
Etc.

I was astonished. I had thought I would teach her to read that book when we got home, but she could already read it. Wow, what a thrill.

Anyway, the point of this post is not to brag about my girl, but to point out how important it is to thoroughly inundate your child with books from the beginning. I know various people who say their child doesn’t like reading, is too impatient. And often one can see that it’s true. But I don’t for one minute believe that’s due to genetics – that some kids are genetically disinclined to reading wonderful books and in favor of noisy toys and rough-housing. I’m absolutely certain if those parents had surrounded their children with books from birth (or before), and sat down in a quiet place/time and read to them regularly, their kids would be as thrilled with books as mine is. My girl loves to run and jump and make noise and do vigorous activities too, but for her books have always been something very special (as special as chocolate for her, or even more), because she’s learned that from the start.

Of course, it takes some effort from the parents, not only to sit down and read the books to the child, but to pick out nice quality books, with fun illustrations. There are lots of crap books out there and they should be avoided – not just books with stupid text or crude, lousy cartoon illustrations, but even Disney books and the like. Sure, an occasional Mickey Mouse or Snow White won’t hurt (and my daughter, like every child, get’s excited about Disney), but there are so many books that are vastly better, more creative and more beautiful than that crass, mass-produced, McDonalds of children’s illustrators.

So, if you’ve got a new child (or an old one) I hope you’re doing lots of reading together. And, be sure to check out the main Taipei public library, if you live in Taipei. It’s really quite good. :slight_smile:

Reading to kids before they go to sleep is a plus. I remember reading to my boy running my finger along the text as I read and was astonished when he pulled me up on an error I made. He hadn’t officially started reading as yet!

My father was fairly crap as far as parents go, but he did do a fanatstic job on the bedtime read and stories. Later on, although I hated school, I was always reading and loved writing.

HG

I love, love, love Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by John Archambault and Bill Martin Jr. Also The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don and Audrey Wood (who also wrote The Napping House, also a great cause and effect story).

David Shannon’s David books are hilarious and my favorite author/illustrator team is Jon Sciezska and Lane Smith. Lane Smith is also writing his own books which are funny in their own right.

Mo Willems writes funny books as well for kids of all ages.

I like a few Dr. Seuss books, don’t get me wrong, but some contents are a bit offensive, such as his “slanty-eyed” (to quote his writing) people in If I Ran the Zoo. I could easily think of a list of authors who were far better writers and illustrators than Mr. Geisel.

Not to be missed wordless books like Zoom and Tuesday (and Goodnight Gorilla by Peggy Rathman). I like to let my students write their own story based on the illustrations and little kids can dictate their stories to their parents.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Anyway, the point of this post is not to brag about my girl, but to point out how important it is to thoroughly inundate your child with books from the beginning. I know various people who say their child doesn’t like reading, is too impatient. And often one can see that it’s true. But I don’t for one minute believe that’s due to genetics – that some kids are genetically disinclined to reading wonderful books and in favor of noisy toys and rough-housing. I’m absolutely certain if those parents had surrounded their children with books from birth (or before), and sat down in a quiet place/time and read to them regularly, their kids would be as thrilled with books as mine is. My girl loves to run and jump and make noise and do vigorous activities too, but for her books have always been something very special (as special as chocolate for her, or even more), because she’s learned that from the start.[/quote]Not sure about genetics, but I’m certain that some kids “innately” enjoy reading more than others. My brother and I had the same upbringing, and I was a fanatical reader whereas he wasn’t.

I agree that it’s very important to provide a variety of books and to read to kids. But I just think that kids do already have different preferences and tendencies when they come into the world, so parents shouldn’t beat themselves up if they’ve done the best they can and their kid still isn’t much of a reader.

They shouldn’t beat themselves up about it. But I do believe that if parents enthusiasticly bombard their child/ren from a very early age with virtually any activity, and show great love for hte activity and joy in sharing it with the child/ren, the child/ren will almost certainly pick up on that enthusiasm and also become interested and skilled in the activity, whether its painting, music, reading, exercise, getting drunk, watching TV, or whatever. I don’t believe some kids are genetically predisposed in favor or against reading (except if they have dyslexia or some other condition that impairs their reading ability). In most cases, I believe, there’s a link between the child’s attitude towards reading and the environment the kid grew up in. So, while parents whose kids don’t like reading shouldn’t beat themselves up, certainly any parent who would like their kids to be big readers should shower them with books and take lots of time to read to/with them.

We agree about how to provide a reading-rich environment for kids. I just don’t agree with this:[quote=“Mother Theresa”]But I do believe that if parents enthusiasticly bombard their child/ren from a very early age with virtually any activity, and show great love for hte activity and joy in sharing it with the child/ren, the child/ren will almost certainly pick up on that enthusiasm and also become interested and skilled in the activity, whether its painting, music, reading, exercise, getting drunk, watching TV, or whatever.[/quote]Parents are a powerful factor but not the only one. Whether you put it down to genetics or something else, kids definitely have different inclinations. I gave an example above about my brother and I. Here’s another one: from a fairly early age, he and I were both encouraged to become interested in mechanical stuff: fixing bikes, understanding how engines work, and so on. He always liked that stuff more than I did, and still does. He completely rebuilt an old Triumph and rode it round Europe. I’m just not that interested in hands-on repairs and maintenance. It’s interesting to understand a bit about how things work, but I prefer to let someone else fix my scooter.

I think that if you look at families with more than one child, you’ll see that kids are more than just empty vessels. For whatever reason, they do come into the world with something of a personality, and certain tendencies and preferences.

Looking for the author name and titles of a UK Children’s Travel Books Series from the 1970s and 1980s (and possibly even earlier). UK author. Prominent among them a book on Budapest.

(Need help with the author name and book titles of a series of books written for children. They were travel fiction written from the vantage point of kids.)

These were children’s books with wonderful illustrations evocative of the locales and cities they were written about. Read them as a child in the 1980s. They were written from the vantage point of children in the first person (well bred and well read children of a somewhat genteel class, mind.) Thank you for your input.

The author and series in question I’m inquiring about were set predominantly in Europe, if memory serves. Read them in the 1980s but they may very well have been written quite a bit before then. I only remember “Budapest” and some sort of trans continental railroad (Europe), the first person narrative writer alighting from carriages in the cities in question. Hazy memories of books read many moons ago.

The Budapest bit I’m sure about. One of the first person protagonists enthused and mused about the fact that the city comprises the two disparate parts of town, Buda and Pest, and the discrepancies thereof.

Incidentally, has “Tim and the Hidden People” ever been offered on sale here? The full set of books, that is. Now that’s a series that evokes a whole lotta memories.

How about Fighting Fantasy gamebooks and gemebooks in general. lol. The full set.

Thank you all.

Do a fair bit of travelling these days and would love to introduce these books to the kiddos. If only I can remember the titles and name of the author! Thank you so much.